Have you ever heard of this? Swingarm bearings gone... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 4:01 pm Thread Starter

Have you ever heard of this? Swingarm bearings gone...

One of our Finnish LT-buddies is currently on a holiday ride in South Spain and he wrote to our forum and asked what could be the problem when his rear rim was occasionally scrubbing the swingarm. He could even see the scratches on the rim.
Of course people were suggesting the famous FD bearing or some small stone getting stuck between the swingarm etc.

He took the bike to a very nice BMW dealership and they diagnosed the problem to be totally shot swingarm bearings. The gone bearings let the swingarm twist in such way that it was sometimes scrubbing the rim...

The fix was relatively cheap (some 175 euros), service was excellent and fast (he even got a washed bike back) but still...the bike is 06 or 07 with less than 35.000 km...

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures of various farkle projects:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 4:16 pm

Re: Have you ever heard of this? Swingarm bearings gone...

That sounds cheap to me, although not good news about the bearing.
post #3 of 20 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 4:56 pm

The OEM paralever bearings are purdy wimpy. You can buy much beefier aftermarket ones.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok

post #4 of 20 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 8:12 pm

Question Re: Have you ever heard of this? Swingarm bearings gone...

So Grif, who sells the aftermarket paralever bearings anyway? Reason I ask is that I have been told by the dealer that mine are shot also.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
The OEM paralever bearings are purdy wimpy. You can buy much beefier aftermarket ones.

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #5 of 20 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 9:11 pm

Why was this repair not covered by the warranty?
post #6 of 20 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 9:47 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I think the European Warranty is only one year.

I am sure these were the needle bearings that pivot the rear drive on the swing arm. They are a bit fragile and there are solid bronze aftermarket units available that I will use when mine go.

John-

Beemershop.com has them for $119.00 in a kit.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #7 of 20 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 10:46 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
I think the European Warranty is only one year.

I am sure these were the needle bearings that pivot the rear drive on the swing arm. They are a bit fragile and there are solid bronze aftermarket units available that I will use when mine go.

John-

Beemershop.com has them for $119.00 in a kit.
European warranty is actually two years. I am not sure about the exact age of this bike. In case it still is under warranty he can claim it in his own language when he gets home rather than in Spanish which is somewhat tricky - especially when that was the only language the dealer communicated with.

These were the parts that were changed:

A07129964676 TUERCA, 1 pcs, 0,51€
A33172311091 JAULA AGUJA, 2 pcs, 41,96€

And indeed they seem to be the rear drive needle rollers, not the swingarm to frame bearings... In any case, to me it was surprise they went so fast.
I guess these should be serviced frequently as well...

Regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #8 of 20 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 7:53 am
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Re: Have you ever heard of this? Swingarm bearings gone...

Hi Ari,glad to hear Yoko sorted that out. When I pulled the rear drive to remove the swing arm for drilling the slave, I noticed that one roller in one cage was missing. Strange as it was new and I was very careful on removal. Never did find the missing roller. Replaced with new and so far all has been well. See you next month

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #9 of 20 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 9:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
So Grif, who sells the aftermarket paralever bearings anyway? Reason I ask is that I have been told by the dealer that mine are shot also.

John
I read about it in the BMWMOA mag, an article by Paul Glaves where he had part numbers and the whole bit. I think one of our sponsoring folks to this website sells them, but I'm not sure.

They're a bronze fitting with no needle bearings, very robust.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #10 of 20 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 1:48 pm

Talking Re: Have you ever heard of this? Swingarm bearings gone...

Tks Grif! I'll dig through my stack of MOA's and see if I can locate the article.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
I read about it in the BMWMOA mag, an article by Paul Glaves where he had part numbers and the whole bit. I think one of our sponsoring folks to this website sells them, but I'm not sure.

They're a bronze fitting with no needle bearings, very robust.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #11 of 20 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 4:01 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilton
Hi Ari,glad to hear Yoko sorted that out. When I pulled the rear drive to remove the swing arm for drilling the slave, I noticed that one roller in one cage was missing. Strange as it was new and I was very careful on removal. Never did find the missing roller. Replaced with new and so far all has been well. See you next month
Hi Hilton, you guys are back from HK?

FYI this guy was not Jouko, he got home OK already some weeks ago. But you will meet this fellow as well at BMWKLTIBMIJOF. In fact since his bike is OK now, he is no planning a 72 hour Gibraltar - Nordkapp run on his way home. (One crazy idea if you ask me, just as most of these IB adventures... )

I hope you received our mailing which was sent to your daughter's address.

Regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #12 of 20 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 4:02 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Tks Grif! I'll dig through my stack of MOA's and see if I can locate the article.

John
John - see my post, Beemershop.com has them by JL.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #13 of 20 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 8:08 pm

Cool Re: Have you ever heard of this? Swingarm bearings gone...

I guess I breezed right by your post John! So does the kit include both sets of bearings: front & rear? Couldn't tell by the info on their site.

Tks,

John
Quote:
John - see my post, Beemershop.com has them by JL.

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #14 of 20 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 10:22 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

No just the two pivot bearings at the final drive. The front swing arm bearings are pretty robust.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #15 of 20 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 11:54 pm

Talking Re: Have you ever heard of this? Swingarm bearings gone...

Got it! Tks for clarifying that John.

John
Quote:
No just the two pivot bearings at the final drive. The front swing arm bearings are pretty robust.

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #16 of 20 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 9:29 am

Quote:
Got it! Tks for clarifying that John.

John
When Hank changed out ole Toad's second rear drive bearing coupla months ago, he also changed this taper bearing. It has 118K miles on it - no idea how much longer it had to live!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Taper bearing (2).jpg
Views:	105
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	18722  
post #17 of 20 Old Jul 31st, 2008, 4:27 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozo_izquierdo
One of our Finnish LT-buddies is currently on a holiday ride in South Spain and he wrote to our forum and asked what could be the problem when his rear rim was occasionally scrubbing the swingarm. He could even see the scratches on the rim.
Of course people were suggesting the famous FD bearing or some small stone getting stuck between the swingarm etc.

He took the bike to a very nice BMW dealership and they diagnosed the problem to be totally shot swingarm bearings. The gone bearings let the swingarm twist in such way that it was sometimes scrubbing the rim...

The fix was relatively cheap (some 175 euros), service was excellent and fast (he even got a washed bike back) but still...the bike is 06 or 07 with less than 35.000 km...

Regards

Well well, can you guys imagine...this fellow sends a message 4000 km later from Denmark. He is stranded again! And for the same reason! His final drive pivot bearings are gone again (and NOT the main swingarm bearings as I was referring to in original message).

Anyway, the nice and not-so-expensive service he received in South Spain was perhaps too cheap...Or it can also be that due to a language problem he THOUGHT his bike was fixed while it was just "checked" and perhaps he was advised to take it to a professional service as soon as he gets home. Well he fell short about 1000 km...

He had to leave his bike to Denmark and take a car to catch a ferry from Stockholm to Helsinki. Bike should be under warranty so BMW will ship the bike to Finland, that's how he wrote anyway...

In any case, John Zeiler was kind enough to purchase for me and forward a set of the "Heavy Duty" replacement brass ring bearings that I will use when the time comes to change the "wimpy" needle OEM bearings...

Regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #18 of 20 Old Jul 31st, 2008, 4:35 pm

Rubber Chicken Racing makes them too! Heres the link:

http://www.rubberchickenracinggarage.com/bushings.html

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #19 of 20 Old Jul 31st, 2008, 6:59 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

It was the same set from JL, Jack. I ordered a set for me too but NOT from rubber chicken. If I had I could have saved the shipping on two sets, oh well!!!

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #20 of 20 Old Aug 1st, 2008, 4:30 am Thread Starter

Swingarm bearings update

OK, at this time our buddy is back to Finland and now here is the full story as it went:

The first time the final drive pivot needle bearings broke in Spain they were changed. The (Spanish and not understood) instructions from the service technician were that after 2000-3000 km the bolts fixing the bearings have to retightened (and torqued) to whatever the specs are.
Anyway, these kilometers became full already in Germany on his way up North and in Denmark the bearings were loose - not broken, and that's when the rear wheel started scraping the swingarm again. The bearings could have just been retightened (as they finally were at the Finnish dealer) but unfortunaltely it was the Danish repair shop who understood nothing about the problem and could not fix it.

Anyway, all is well now, only one set of needle bearings gone and the second set was just retightened, but somewhat too late.

Regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in