Front brake res fill - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 4:09 pm Thread Starter

Front brake res fill

Quick question on the front brake resevoir, 2000LT.

I notice the fluid is a little below the center dot, approaching the bottom of the ring. Should I add some DOT 4 to bring it up to the center?

I found one post that said something about the resevoir is not directly connected to the front brake and suggested that we shouldn't add to the handlebar res.

Was I seeing things or ????

Thanks

Steve
Chandler, AZ
2000 BMW 1200LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 5:38 pm

Re: Front brake res fill

Check the res. under the seat.
It may be low.
If it is the bar level will return to normal.

Chances are it is close to being time to change the pads.
The LT has brake fluid circuits for the ABS.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #3 of 6 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 5:59 pm
Lifetime Supporter

there isn't a seperate reservoir on the '00LT.
When the fluid get low in the handlebar reservoir it usually means the pads are getting thin.

Check your pads and fill as needed.

dan

post #4 of 6 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 8:21 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by azredline
I found one post that said something about the resevoir is not directly connected to the front brake and suggested that we shouldn't add to the handlebar res.

Was I seeing things or ????

Thanks
No you read it right but that only applies to the 01 and up with the integral brakes. The fluid in your front will lower as the pads wear. If you do add, just remember to remove some fluid before pushing the pistons back to the pads or it will over flow.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #5 of 6 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 8:30 pm

Wink Re: Front brake res fill

John is right on the money here as usual.

I have an '00 LT and I have never added fluid to the front reservoir except for when I do the flush. Being just a little down is fine, as your front pads wear down. If you don't add any fluid, then when you install new pads the fluid will be back up where it belongs. However if you do add fluid in the interim, and then replace the pads, you will probably overflow the reservoir just like John says.

If you don't see any pad wear on the front, and you are low on fluid, then you may want to see where it is going, and add some if needed,

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
No you read it right but that only applies to the 01 and up with the integral brakes. The fluid in your front will lower as the pads wear. If you do add, just remember to remove some fluid before pushing the pistons back to the pads or it will over flow.

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #6 of 6 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 10:05 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the input!

My pads are a little past half worn I'd guess, so I'll replace them after my next significant ride.

Kudos to the forum for all the available info. Today I saved lots of time after my morning outing by checking other posts for the rear brake fluid level in the resevoir. I couldn't easily see how to get at the cap for the rear res. A bit of searching found a great post from DABubba from 2004 that said to pull the rear pass seat to get at it. Two bolts and two min later I was there!

Thanks!

Steve
Chandler, AZ
2000 BMW 1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in