Windscreen - HELP - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 2:17 pm Thread Starter

Windscreen - HELP

After four years...I'm frustrated to the point of posting a request for help!!

Can someone tell me the proper procedure and 'equipment' to clean the windscreen on my '04 LT. For some reason the draft on this bike creates a backflow which produces a grimmy oily appearing smootch on the rider side in addition to the normal bug, grease and road deposits on the front side.

Rubba dub dub...soap, warm water, cold water, standing on my head won't produce a clean screen without polishing the GD plastic crap that the 'werks' installed on this bike.

My Honda and Suzuki...no problem. The beemer...a struggle. Next thing will be an electric polisher!!

Now that I've vented (not Coors Light...well maybe one as it is Sunday afternoon)...please give me some advise on how to clean this thing up with somewhat of ease.

Thanks muchly...Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 2:37 pm

Garage
Re: Windscreen - HELP

Your bike may be suffering from foggy over, a common occurance on the LT's windshield. Most other board members have switched out the stock screen for Cee Baileys or Ztechnic screens.

Hope that helps!

FWIW, I've recently discovered Miller High Life Lite! Much better than Coors but not better than Corona or Heinken Lights.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #3 of 6 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 3:48 pm

I've switched to the ZTech screen and I use Turtle wax Ice on mine, both sides. Its easier to clean and the Ice helps bug removal.

Dean UK

Just booked a table for two for me and the wife. It was bound to end in tears though - she's crap at snooker.

Such an unfair world. When a man talks dirty to a woman its considered sexual harassment, but when a woman talks dirty to a man its 2.50/min
(charges may vary).

2005 K1200LT with ZZ Trailer (For Touring)
Piaggio X9 500ie (for running about)

post #4 of 6 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 10:57 pm

I've tried most of the recommendations I read here, but the cleaning step that makes the difference for me is a final wipe-down with denatured alcohol. Gets rid of the grime, and makes the (stock) shield fog-free for several days.

I only use it on the windshield, deflectors, and fins.
post #5 of 6 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 11:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleeetom
After four years...I'm frustrated to the point of posting a request for help!!

Can someone tell me the proper procedure and 'equipment' to clean the windscreen on my '04 LT. For some reason the draft on this bike creates a backflow which produces a grimmy oily appearing smootch on the rider side in addition to the normal bug, grease and road deposits on the front side.

Rubba dub dub...soap, warm water, cold water, standing on my head won't produce a clean screen without polishing the GD plastic crap that the 'werks' installed on this bike.

My Honda and Suzuki...no problem. The beemer...a struggle. Next thing will be an electric polisher!!

Now that I've vented (not Coors Light...well maybe one as it is Sunday afternoon)...please give me some advise on how to clean this thing up with somewhat of ease.

Thanks muchly...Tom
Try cleaning it with rubbing alcohol. I read a thread on our site that statedthis would clear your problem.

2003 Black
K1200LTC

Garmin 450
XM Radio
Video Camera Mount
Fender Mount Driving Lights
Autocom Super Pro AVi
Saddlebag LED Lights

Bakup Backrest
Grip Puppies
VStream Windscreen
Muth Mirrors
2008 Bushtec

post #6 of 6 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 8:53 am

I just learned, from the fine folks here, about the alcohol wipe. Did it yesterday, and pleased as punch! So happy in fact, mixed the alcohol and punch, and now everything's blurry! Seriously, try it (wiping, not drinking), you'll like it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in