LT windscreen. . .HELP - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 1:47 pm Thread Starter

LT windscreen. . .HELP

After four years...I'm frustrated to the point of posting a request for help!!

Can someone tell me the proper procedure and 'equipment' to clean the windscreen on my '04 LT. For some reason the draft on this bike creates a backflow which produces a grimmy oily appearing smootch on the rider side in addition to the normal bug, grease and road deposits on the front side.

Rubba dub dub...soap, warm water, cold water, standing on my head won't produce a clean screen without polishing the GD plastic crap that the 'werks' installed on this bike.

My Honda and Suzuki...no problem. The beemer...a struggle. Next thing will be an electric polisher!!

Now that I've vented (not Coors Light...well maybe one as it is Sunday afternoon)...please give me some advise on how to clean this thing up with somewhat of ease.

Thanks muchly...Tom

Last edited by harleeetom; Jul 13th, 2008 at 2:11 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 2:37 pm

Garage
Re: LT windscreen. . .HELP

Echo!

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #3 of 15 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 2:56 pm

Have you tried Dawn dishwashing liquid? It cuts trough greasy film, I can not be sure that it won't do some harm in the long run, but I use it and so far so good.

post #4 of 15 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 2:57 pm

Thumbs up Re: LT windscreen. . .HELP

I start out with some very hot water and towel. The towel is spread out on the surface (front) of the shield. water poured over and let soak. I put a little dish soap in the hot water. after a couple applications of hot water, even the driest bugs wash right off.

CeeBaiely has a product I use on the inside of the shield that does a really good job with inside grime. I follow directions, and for a long time water beads up and flows right off with very little residual markings. Also on the front

HTH

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #5 of 15 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 3:05 pm

Garage

I replied in the other thread. Now the mods can delete that one.

Your bike may be suffering from foggy over, a common occurence on the LT's windshield. Most other board members have switched out the stock screen for Cee Baileys or Ztechnic screens.

Hope that helps!

FWIW, I've recently discovered Miller High Life Lite! Much better than Coors but not better than Corona or Heinken Lights.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #6 of 15 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 3:28 pm Thread Starter

Hey...thanks for the responses! I haven't been on this link since 12/6/06 as my trusty steed has performed well...except for the GD windscreen problem questioned today. Sorry for the echo...trying to regain the feel.

Thanks again...been looking at the Cee Bailey stuff!

As noted, observed and commented on in the past: Why is it this manufacturer can't produce seats (or in the case, windscreens) that can do the job WITHOUT having to go to others for satisfaction??

My RT...same thing. Seat - crap...replacement by Corbin not much better but another 'K' down the drain; windscreen - crap...replacement by Aero-Flow which was considerable better but another $300 down the drain.

Anyway, tried the Miller...nice!! Bike and Bunkhouse is ready for Barber next weekend. Cheers and Thanks again....Tom
post #7 of 15 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 6:24 pm

Sorry to hear you are having problems but not surprising with this windshield. You can't treat the BMW windshield like a regular plastic shield. The BMW sheet is made up of polycarbonate in multiple layers. Good thing is that it provides amazing strength and protection. Bad thing is the shield will absorb moisture in some conditions, early morning is the worst. The moisture will pick up road grime and does look a bit greasy.

The BMW shield does not like to be polished or waxed or anything else fancy that plastic shields like. Most of us make sure we use only soap and water on the sheild. Then when dry, if you still get fogging you can wipe the shield down on both sides with rubbing alcohol on a soft towel. The alcohol will draw out the remaining moisture. This may take one to two applications and may have to be repeated every couple of weeks if you are in a humid area.

It is possible that if you have used a polish you may have inadvertantly sealed in moisture, or may have damaged the inner layer.

Try giving it a good soap and hot water clean then after it is dry use the alcohol once or twice and see if that doesn't help.

Regards,

Steve
post #8 of 15 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 8:44 pm

The BMW OEM windshield is made from polycarbonate with a silicone outside layer.

Not "multiple layers".

ALL other current options for the LT (with the exception of V-Stream) are made from acrylic - a very poor choice as it shatters easily from impact into large dagger like shards. Acrylic windshields are also very prone to "crazing" and stress fractures.

Bottom line: There are no Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards for motorcycle windshields.

That's exactly why 90% of the after market manufacturers use acrylic. MUCH cheaper since it is a commodity plastic, relatively easy to form. Cleans up nicely with polish - about the only good thing I can think of to say about acrylic.

Just like polyurethane foam and vinyl : a commodity "off the shelf" plastic that is absolute JUNK.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #9 of 15 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 11:29 pm

NOVUS plastic cleaner! It is the only thing I use on my windscreen. I recently bought a used on here on the classifieds and it came fogged as all get out. I tried the novus #1 on it and it cleaned it up for about an hour then it fogged again. I went to the #2 and it cleaned it up pretty good for a couple days. I repeated the #2 and #1 about three times. It is now after 3 months still clear. I use the #1 as a cleaner/polisher a couple times a month, I even carry a small bottle of it on the bike with a small towel. It is really good stuff and doesn't cost all that much. I can't remember what it cost because I am still using the same bottles from at least 4 years ago, yea, you don't use much each time.
post #10 of 15 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 11:39 pm
Super Moderator

For a BMW shield go to a drug store and buy IPA (Isopropal Alcohol) - its cheap. Use a clean terry cloth towel and first clean windshild with plain warm water on both sides. Dry it with clean terry cloth or microfiber towels. Then use IPA on both sides of the windshield use a terry towel - full strength IPA - lots of it and finish with dry terry towel.

The BMW shield seems to attract a grey grime on the inside and the IPA will help absorb moisture out of the shield and will not harm anything.

Depending on what part of the country you live in, the season, the humidity, where you drive and the conditions of your garage - other vehicles and closed conditions - all participate in how the windshield attracts and holds on to grime and moisture.

Treat regular - even if it appears not to need it and it goes real fast the shield will always be crystal clear.

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #11 of 15 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 2:44 pm

I think you need some tear-off like they use on motocross googles.
I usually ask my wife to clean mine up - thats probably why I can't see threw the dang thing.
post #12 of 15 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 3:28 pm

I use PLEXUS windshield cleaner.

Bought it at Bob's.

Sleepwalker
2008 K1200LT New Ride

1999 K1200LT (sold)
1992 K75 (sold)
1991 K1 (sold)
post #13 of 15 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 3:38 pm

Use Plexus, eats the bugs off like a blow torch and covers up all those annoying little scratches. The waxed clear finish sheds dirt and bugs much easier. Try it.
post #14 of 15 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 11:26 pm

Sorry to break the bad news here, But being in the plastics business since 1982 polycarb and acrylic are both about the same price for comparable grades. While acrylic sheet in general is less expensive if you request a premium grade the price per pound is same.

PC (polycarbonate) is softer and will absorb moisture in a obvious way by fogging. Hence the alcohol working to defog. It is possible to polish, (gradually scratching surface with finer compounds) however it is not easy.

PC was invented by a chemist at GE in the early 50's Acrylic has been around commercially since the late 30's. Wikipedia has good data on both plastics.

Acrylic will absorb moisture but not show it like PC will. You can polish and re-polish good acrylic over and over again.

as Ron says it can craze, stress or micro crack how ever premium acrylic will be far less prone to it. A good quality Acrylic shield will out cosmetically last PC out side twice as long.

The F15 fighter jet as well as others use acrylic for the windshield due to optics. On the F15 it has to withstand a 600MPH frozen chicken dead on and not break. They were originally machined from solid now are injection molded. That is one heck of a injection molding machine. Was a big deal in our industry in the late 80's or early 90's

All types of plastic will PC, acrylic, etc.. Will deteriorate over time. The lower the grade of plastic the worse it will look over time. It depends greatly upon the additives used such as UV inhibitors & impact modifiers etc...

PC is used in laminated glass for bullet proof glass.

PC comes with a BMW due to European laws like our DOT laws except they have more stringent and enforced laws.

Acrylic can shatter like in the Z Technic videos, It is a well staged demo & they are using really low quality thinner than CEE Baileys acrylic wind shields versus the PC shields they sell. I saw the demo personally at the BMW MOA rally in 2007. However Lets think about reality here. How many people have had catastrophic MOTORCYCLE windshield failure due to incoming objects? If something comes in that large the windshield is the least of your concern.

I use a Cee Baileys and like it much better than OEM. It is very solid and a solid 1/4 thick. It is also clearer than OEM.

For what is worth on my old OEM PC shield Mr. Moto aerosol polish after a thorough cleaning with windex worked really well to clean up. I did this till my new Cee Baileys came in. The liquid Mr Moto polish does not work any where as well at the aerosol.

Sorry for the egg head write up here but felt the need to clear the air on PC versus acrylic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
The BMW OEM windshield is made from polycarbonate with a silicone outside layer.

Not "multiple layers".

ALL other current options for the LT (with the exception of V-Stream) are made from acrylic - a very poor choice as it shatters easily from impact into large dagger like shards. Acrylic windshields are also very prone to "crazing" and stress fractures.

Bottom line: There are no Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards for motorcycle windshields.

That's exactly why 90% of the after market manufacturers use acrylic. MUCH cheaper since it is a commodity plastic, relatively easy to form. Cleans up nicely with polish - about the only good thing I can think of to say about acrylic.

Just like polyurethane foam and vinyl : a commodity "off the shelf" plastic that is absolute JUNK.

Mike G
Northen Illinois Packer Fan
K1200lt 2002
LT Trunk Latch Maker
post #15 of 15 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 11:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepwalker
I use PLEXUS windshield cleaner.

Bought it at Bob's.
+1 on that. Plexus and a Micro-fiber rag and she will look perfect in no time at all.

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in