Selling Out - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 1:05 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
oknplm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: , , USA
Posts: 510
Thumbs up Selling Out

After 5 years and two LT's I have decided to look for another ride. Just need a change and not quite sure what that will be. I have removed all the key LT add-on accessories. I will be listing them in the classified section over the next few days. So if you are looking for a few choice items (everything from Ohlin's to Iridium sparkplugs and a lot in between check out the classified section.

May we never find the end of the road!

Perry Ridgway
oknplm is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 11:22 am
Senior Member
 
Bobnoxous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 783
Re: Selling Out

I understand the desire to try a new ride. Changing bikes is much easier than changing wives, or husbands. Good luck finding something you like.

When a government takes over a peopleís economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
Bobnoxous is offline  
post #3 of 24 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 1:11 pm
Senior Member
 
free2ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dallas, TX, USA
Posts: 227
Smile Re: Selling Out

Good luck finding a ride that fits you better. Was there anything in particular that you found lacking in the LT or is just time for a change?

Have a great ride,

David
Dallas, TX
2006 K1200GT
BMWMOA 142756
free2ride is offline  
 
post #4 of 24 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 4:24 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
oknplm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: , , USA
Posts: 510
Thumbs up Re: Selling Out

It seems my tenure with any m/c I have owned has been two to three years. Just ready for a change. Leaning toward 2008 Goldwing with all the bells and whistles except airbag. Never owned one and life is too short not to try it out. During the last two cross countries they seemed to outnumber everyone else on the road for long distance rides. Drove one recently and was really impressed with the amount of power and torque it delivered. If it is not to my liking I can wait to see what BMW is replacing the LT with. Change is a good thing

May we never find the end of the road!

Perry

oknplm
oknplm is offline  
post #5 of 24 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 10:08 pm
Senior Member
 
hallzee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Gold Country, CA, USA
Posts: 2,571
Re: Selling Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by oknplm
Leaning toward 2008 Goldwing with all the bells and whistles except airbag. Never owned one and life is too short not to try it out. During the last two cross countries they seemed to outnumber everyone else on the road for long distance rides.
Whatever you want is what you need - where you see Goldwings I feel depends upon the type of road you like to ride. I rarely see wings where my wife and I ride. A thousand miles in a weekend on back-road twisties are not unusual for us.

We really rarely see wings.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
hallzee is offline  
post #6 of 24 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 11:54 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
oknplm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: , , USA
Posts: 510
Question Re: Selling Out

Not sure where you ride but I have put 30 thousand on this LT in a little over two years. And about the same on the prior LT I had about the same amount of time. I have seen Goldwings at the top of the Rockies, the middle of nowhere desert roads of the southwest and really rural areas USA.

Two points

* It's not the motorcycle that get you there. It is the rider willing, able and has the time to do so. How you ride, whatever you ride, is only determined by your experience level and personal abilities.

* Plus you are probably more likely to see a Honda dealer in small town or backwater USA then a BMW shop if the situation demands it.

Both of my LT's were great running, fun to ride machines. But if you don't take the time to look around and see what else is out there you may just wake up some day and find out it is too late to do so.

May we never find the end of the road!

Perry Ridgway

oknplm
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
Whatever you want is what you need - where you see Goldwings I feel depends upon the type of road you like to ride. I rarely see wings where my wife and I ride. A thousand miles in a weekend on back-road twisties are not unusual for us.


We really rarely see wings.
oknplm is offline  
post #7 of 24 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 3:42 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Huntley, IL,
Posts: 219
Re: Selling Out

I wouldnt call a gl1800 a sell out bike, but I do run across my share of wingers. I have noticed a considerable amount of insecurity among thier ownership in that I usually tell them what a nice bike I think their gl1800/1500 is and in return Im often told how much better thier bike is than the LT. Sometime I think wingers are worse than the HD crowd as far as intolerance for other brands.

Enjoy, its a great bike, but at this point just not my style. I wish I could find the video of the guy on his yellow wing floggin it through the dragon, that would inspire you

Tom
ahpd1992 is offline  
post #8 of 24 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 4:47 pm
Senior Member
 
Steve_R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Snellville, GA, USA
Posts: 6,424
Re: Selling Out

Well, I know Perry and I can tell you the Goldwing is RIGHT up his alley!!

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
Steve_R is offline  
post #9 of 24 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 5:24 pm
Senior Member
 
Heracleitus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Wichita Falls, TX, USA
Posts: 184
Garage
Re: Selling Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Well, I know Perry and I can tell you the Goldwing is RIGHT up his alley!!
so you're saying he's old. . .


Heracleitus

'12 Victory Cross Country Vivian Vader
'07 LT
die Blau Frau SOLD!
MBW-MOA Member #140221
Heracleitus is offline  
post #10 of 24 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 10:54 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
oknplm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: , , USA
Posts: 510
Talking Re: Selling Out

I assume this must be a little rib sticking from you Steve. Just remember as you take your shots, I was present on the first group ride you were on not so long ago. At least I came back to look for you!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Well, I know Perry and I can tell you the Goldwing is RIGHT up his alley!!
oknplm is offline  
post #11 of 24 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 11:11 pm
Senior Member
 
wacolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Waco, TX, USA
Posts: 809
Re: Selling Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahpd1992
I wish I could find the video of the guy on his yellow wing floggin it through the dragon, that would inspire you

Tom
Do you mean this one? This guy can ride!!! The GW looks like a comfortable ride to me!!

A fluton floggin' Goldwing!

But not this one!
Deal's Gap Pleasure Ride

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748

Last edited by wacolt; Jul 15th, 2008 at 11:34 pm.
wacolt is offline  
post #12 of 24 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 11:21 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
oknplm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: , , USA
Posts: 510
Talking Re: Selling Out

First I could give a rats a$% what others think about the brand I pick. The very thing you accuse other brand owners of is mirrored within your own commentary about wingers and HD crowd. You sound just like the rest of the herd that follows the brand doctrine. I guess being intolerant is not isolated to any one brand. Hope you get help for your own insecurities and you maintain that all important biking style you mentioned.

May we never find the end of the road!

Perry Ridgway


Quote:
Originally Posted by ahpd1992
I wouldnt call a gl1800 a sell out bike, but I do run across my share of wingers. I have noticed a considerable amount of insecurity among thier ownership in that I usually tell them what a nice bike I think their gl1800/1500 is and in return Im often told how much better thier bike is than the LT. Sometime I think wingers are worse than the HD crowd as far as intolerance for other brands.

Enjoy, its a great bike, but at this point just not my style. I wish I could find the video of the guy on his yellow wing floggin it through the dragon, that would inspire you

Tom
oknplm is offline  
post #13 of 24 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 10:08 am
Senior Member
 
ibbones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Victoria, TX, USA
Posts: 3,327
Re: Selling Out

I have a handful of friends that are Wing Riders. What an awesome bike. What color are you after?

"BONES" <///><
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
ibbones is offline  
post #14 of 24 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 9:00 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Huntley, IL,
Posts: 219
Re: Selling Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by oknplm
First I could give a rats a$% what others think about the brand I pick. The very thing you accuse other brand owners of is mirrored within your own commentary about wingers and HD crowd. You sound just like the rest of the herd that follows the brand doctrine. I guess being intolerant is not isolated to any one brand. Hope you get help for your own insecurities and you maintain that all important biking style you mentioned.

May we never find the end of the road!

Perry Ridgway
Calm down dude! Im losing my tolerance and getting insecure. Im going to another post, b4 u beat me up you gl1800 guys are hooligans
ahpd1992 is offline  
post #15 of 24 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 11:44 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New York, NY, USA
Posts: 475
Re: Selling Out

I don't get it with HD's. I saw the electra glide it was selling for almost 30k. I was shocked. And it uses 1950s technology. Amazing branding here. I question tho will younger people start riding HD or pick the cheaper, better Japanese and german bikes. Maybe HD will be like GM one day..
Caveno is offline  
post #16 of 24 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 4:22 pm
Senior Member
 
petepeterson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Jacksonville, NC, USA
Posts: 713
Re: Selling Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveno
I don't get it with HD's. I saw the electra glide it was selling for almost 30k. I was shocked. And it uses 1950s technology. Amazing branding here. I question tho will younger people start riding HD or pick the cheaper, better Japanese and german bikes. Maybe HD will be like GM one day..

?? No Electra Glide sells for anything close to 30K without a lot of addons and motor work.. The Ultra is even on price with a new LT..... Now please name just one little part on the HD that is still 50's technology,,,, Just one part.........Pete

2005 Ocean Blue LT
petepeterson is offline  
post #17 of 24 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 8:19 pm
Senior Member
 
GolfGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: North Mankato, Minn., USA
Posts: 550
Re: Selling Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by petepeterson
?? No Electra Glide sells for anything close to 30K without a lot of addons and motor work.. The Ultra is even on price with a new LT..... Now please name just one little part on the HD that is still 50's technology,,,, Just one part.........Pete
Actually...the ElectraGlide Ultra Sreamin' Eagle goes for around $35,000.00
That will make your shorts pucker!

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CCR-'08
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GolfGuy is offline  
post #18 of 24 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 8:44 pm
Senior Member
 
petepeterson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Jacksonville, NC, USA
Posts: 713
Re: Selling Out

Thank you golfguy,,, you made my point perfectly!!!

The HD had to have the performance upgrade to get the price up... A fully loaded Ultra on the showroom floor is no more than an LT.... Leave the extra BS off just the Ultra............Pete

2008 FLHTCU MSRP $ 20,695.00

2005 Ocean Blue LT
petepeterson is offline  
post #19 of 24 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 11:57 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New York, NY, USA
Posts: 475
Re: Selling Out

You're right, the seat is a lot more modern. The horn is not visible. And the 2008 also has a back seat and a luggage rack.

1956 Harley


2008 Harley



Caveno is offline  
post #20 of 24 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 7:31 am
Senior Member
 
Steve_R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Snellville, GA, USA
Posts: 6,424
Re: Selling Out

Just a little Perry. I do appreciate you coming back to look for me. Do realize that was over 4 years ago?

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
Steve_R is offline  
post #21 of 24 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 1:11 pm
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY, USA
Posts: 4
Wink Re: Selling Out

Hey forum i'm FNG , I have been reading Perry's post; and I'm in the same position. I came from 5 different sport bikes, and 3 different HD 1 soft-tail and 2 touring. Now I was thinking of BMW 1200LT . I'm 6'3" and the GW 1800 is just no leg room for me, that lower fairing is in the way. The guys I ride with either ride GW 1800 or HD ultra's like myself. Perry or anyone, what do you think about the 1200LT ?

Trey
HDtoBMW is offline  
post #22 of 24 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 2:13 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
oknplm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: , , USA
Posts: 510
Re: Selling Out

I woud not have bought two of them if I did not like the ride. The good thing about most BMW dealers, they allow you to take the LT out and give it a good test ride. You really need to do the test drive. The LT is more like a sport/touring m/c, right off the showroom floor, compared to the other two touring options. (HD and GW). But based on the number of items I sold off in the classified section, which I added for my needs, you will still more then likely have to modify it to yours. Leg room: add the suburban-machinery reposition kit, extended j-pegs and a customer seat. I bought a Rick Mayer seat. The seat really helps. A custom seat builder can increase or decrease the seat height to better fit you to the m/c.

Like you, I have owned a lot of m/c's. I have yet to find the perfect ride right out of the box. I have a new 08 GW (week old) and I am about to drop $2600 to upgrade the suspension so I can really take advantage of the GW power plant. Motorcycles are not like getting into a long-term commitment. Try it, ride, have fun with it and then when you get bored find something else. It works for me


May we never find the end of the road!

Perry Ridgway

oknplm


Quote:
Originally Posted by HDtoBMW
Hey forum i'm FNG , I have been reading Perry's post; and I'm in the same position. I came from 5 different sport bikes, and 3 different HD 1 soft-tail and 2 touring. Now I was thinking of BMW 1200LT . I'm 6'3" and the GW 1800 is just no leg room for me, that lower fairing is in the way. The guys I ride with either ride GW 1800 or HD ultra's like myself. Perry or anyone, what do you think about the 1200LT ?

Trey
oknplm is offline  
post #23 of 24 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 2:33 pm
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY, USA
Posts: 4
Re: Selling Out

Perry I cant agree with you more, I'm not married to any M/C or name brand. I'll try it, if I like it fine; if not then NOT. I guess with there is nothing else to modify, it's time to change. Just buy change would you think BMW would increase the motor size to match the GW1800?.
HDtoBMW is offline  
post #24 of 24 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 3:15 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
oknplm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: , , USA
Posts: 510
Question Re: Selling Out

Heard so many rumors of what the next LT version will be that it is impossible to really know. Heard for a while the S engine was to be used. Recently I heard a new 6 cylinder. Also heard that the next LT will be much lighter. For all anyone knows, the LT as we know it, may just be eliminated from production and an all new touring model will appear. A lot of riders are intimidated by an 800 lb. + machine. And it appears BMW is trying to get younger riders to its brand. At this point it is all speculation.



Quote:
Originally Posted by HDtoBMW
Perry I cant agree with you more, I'm not married to any M/C or name brand. I'll try it, if I like it fine; if not then NOT. I guess with there is nothing else to modify, it's time to change. Just buy change would you think BMW would increase the motor size to match the GW1800?.
oknplm is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Selling suggestions? MrBreeze K1200LT 11 May 21st, 2007 5:34 am
Selling car on ebay, Advice requested. JPSpen Chit Chat 13 Aug 1st, 2006 9:16 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome