Selling Out - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 1:05 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Selling Out

After 5 years and two LT's I have decided to look for another ride. Just need a change and not quite sure what that will be. I have removed all the key LT add-on accessories. I will be listing them in the classified section over the next few days. So if you are looking for a few choice items (everything from Ohlin's to Iridium sparkplugs and a lot in between check out the classified section.

May we never find the end of the road!

Perry Ridgway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 11:22 am

Re: Selling Out

I understand the desire to try a new ride. Changing bikes is much easier than changing wives, or husbands. Good luck finding something you like.

When a government takes over a peopleís economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
post #3 of 24 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 1:11 pm

Smile Re: Selling Out

Good luck finding a ride that fits you better. Was there anything in particular that you found lacking in the LT or is just time for a change?

Have a great ride,

David
Dallas, TX
2006 K1200GT
BMWMOA 142756

post #4 of 24 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 4:24 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Selling Out

It seems my tenure with any m/c I have owned has been two to three years. Just ready for a change. Leaning toward 2008 Goldwing with all the bells and whistles except airbag. Never owned one and life is too short not to try it out. During the last two cross countries they seemed to outnumber everyone else on the road for long distance rides. Drove one recently and was really impressed with the amount of power and torque it delivered. If it is not to my liking I can wait to see what BMW is replacing the LT with. Change is a good thing

Perry

oknplm
post #5 of 24 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 10:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by oknplm
Leaning toward 2008 Goldwing with all the bells and whistles except airbag. Never owned one and life is too short not to try it out. During the last two cross countries they seemed to outnumber everyone else on the road for long distance rides.
Whatever you want is what you need - where you see Goldwings I feel depends upon the type of road you like to ride. I rarely see wings where my wife and I ride. A thousand miles in a weekend on back-road twisties are not unusual for us.

We really rarely see wings.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #6 of 24 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 11:54 pm Thread Starter

Question Re: Selling Out

Not sure where you ride but I have put 30 thousand on this LT in a little over two years. And about the same on the prior LT I had about the same amount of time. I have seen Goldwings at the top of the Rockies, the middle of nowhere desert roads of the southwest and really rural areas USA.

Two points

* It's not the motorcycle that get you there. It is the rider willing, able and has the time to do so. How you ride, whatever you ride, is only determined by your experience level and personal abilities.

* Plus you are probably more likely to see a Honda dealer in small town or backwater USA then a BMW shop if the situation demands it.

Both of my LT's were great running, fun to ride machines. But if you don't take the time to look around and see what else is out there you may just wake up some day and find out it is too late to do so.

Perry Ridgway

oknplm
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
Whatever you want is what you need - where you see Goldwings I feel depends upon the type of road you like to ride. I rarely see wings where my wife and I ride. A thousand miles in a weekend on back-road twisties are not unusual for us.

We really rarely see wings.
post #7 of 24 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 3:42 pm

I wouldnt call a gl1800 a sell out bike, but I do run across my share of wingers. I have noticed a considerable amount of insecurity among thier ownership in that I usually tell them what a nice bike I think their gl1800/1500 is and in return Im often told how much better thier bike is than the LT. Sometime I think wingers are worse than the HD crowd as far as intolerance for other brands.

Enjoy, its a great bike, but at this point just not my style. I wish I could find the video of the guy on his yellow wing floggin it through the dragon, that would inspire you

Tom
post #8 of 24 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 4:47 pm

Well, I know Perry and I can tell you the Goldwing is RIGHT up his alley!!

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #9 of 24 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 5:24 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
so you're saying he's old. . .

Heracleitus

'12 Victory Cross Country Vivian Vader
'07 LT
die Blau Frau SOLD!
MBW-MOA Member #140221
post #10 of 24 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 10:54 pm Thread Starter

Talking Re: Selling Out

I assume this must be a little rib sticking from you Steve. Just remember as you take your shots, I was present on the first group ride you were on not so long ago. At least I came back to look for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
post #11 of 24 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 11:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahpd1992
I wish I could find the video of the guy on his yellow wing floggin it through the dragon, that would inspire you

Tom
Do you mean this one? This guy can ride!!! The GW looks like a comfortable ride to me!!

A fluton floggin' Goldwing!

But not this one!
Deal's Gap Pleasure Ride

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748

Last edited by wacolt; Jul 15th, 2008 at 11:34 pm.
post #12 of 24 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 11:21 pm Thread Starter

Talking Re: Selling Out

First I could give a rats a$% what others think about the brand I pick. The very thing you accuse other brand owners of is mirrored within your own commentary about wingers and HD crowd. You sound just like the rest of the herd that follows the brand doctrine. I guess being intolerant is not isolated to any one brand. Hope you get help for your own insecurities and you maintain that all important biking style you mentioned.

Perry Ridgway

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahpd1992
I wouldnt call a gl1800 a sell out bike, but I do run across my share of wingers. I have noticed a considerable amount of insecurity among thier ownership in that I usually tell them what a nice bike I think their gl1800/1500 is and in return Im often told how much better thier bike is than the LT. Sometime I think wingers are worse than the HD crowd as far as intolerance for other brands.

Enjoy, its a great bike, but at this point just not my style. I wish I could find the video of the guy on his yellow wing floggin it through the dragon, that would inspire you

Tom
post #13 of 24 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 10:08 am

I have a handful of friends that are Wing Riders. What an awesome bike. What color are you after?

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #14 of 24 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 9:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by oknplm
First I could give a rats a$% what others think about the brand I pick. The very thing you accuse other brand owners of is mirrored within your own commentary about wingers and HD crowd. You sound just like the rest of the herd that follows the brand doctrine. I guess being intolerant is not isolated to any one brand. Hope you get help for your own insecurities and you maintain that all important biking style you mentioned.

Perry Ridgway
Calm down dude! Im losing my tolerance and getting insecure. Im going to another post, b4 u beat me up you gl1800 guys are hooligans
post #15 of 24 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 11:44 pm

I don't get it with HD's. I saw the electra glide it was selling for almost 30k. I was shocked. And it uses 1950s technology. Amazing branding here. I question tho will younger people start riding HD or pick the cheaper, better Japanese and german bikes. Maybe HD will be like GM one day..
post #16 of 24 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 4:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveno
I don't get it with HD's. I saw the electra glide it was selling for almost 30k. I was shocked. And it uses 1950s technology. Amazing branding here. I question tho will younger people start riding HD or pick the cheaper, better Japanese and german bikes. Maybe HD will be like GM one day..

?? No Electra Glide sells for anything close to 30K without a lot of addons and motor work.. The Ultra is even on price with a new LT..... Now please name just one little part on the HD that is still 50's technology,,,, Just one part.........Pete

2005 Ocean Blue LT
post #17 of 24 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 8:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by petepeterson
?? No Electra Glide sells for anything close to 30K without a lot of addons and motor work.. The Ultra is even on price with a new LT..... Now please name just one little part on the HD that is still 50's technology,,,, Just one part.........Pete
Actually...the ElectraGlide Ultra Sreamin' Eagle goes for around $35,000.00
That will make your shorts pucker!

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!
post #18 of 24 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 8:44 pm

Thank you golfguy,,, you made my point perfectly!!!

The HD had to have the performance upgrade to get the price up... A fully loaded Ultra on the showroom floor is no more than an LT.... Leave the extra BS off just the Ultra............Pete

2008 FLHTCU MSRP $ 20,695.00

2005 Ocean Blue LT
post #19 of 24 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 11:57 pm

You're right, the seat is a lot more modern. The horn is not visible. And the 2008 also has a back seat and a luggage rack.

1956 Harley

2008 Harley

post #20 of 24 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 7:31 am

Just a little Perry. I do appreciate you coming back to look for me. Do realize that was over 4 years ago?

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #21 of 24 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 1:11 pm

Wink Re: Selling Out

Hey forum i'm FNG , I have been reading Perry's post; and I'm in the same position. I came from 5 different sport bikes, and 3 different HD 1 soft-tail and 2 touring. Now I was thinking of BMW 1200LT . I'm 6'3" and the GW 1800 is just no leg room for me, that lower fairing is in the way. The guys I ride with either ride GW 1800 or HD ultra's like myself. Perry or anyone, what do you think about the 1200LT ?

Trey
post #22 of 24 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 2:13 pm Thread Starter

I woud not have bought two of them if I did not like the ride. The good thing about most BMW dealers, they allow you to take the LT out and give it a good test ride. You really need to do the test drive. The LT is more like a sport/touring m/c, right off the showroom floor, compared to the other two touring options. (HD and GW). But based on the number of items I sold off in the classified section, which I added for my needs, you will still more then likely have to modify it to yours. Leg room: add the suburban-machinery reposition kit, extended j-pegs and a customer seat. I bought a Rick Mayer seat. The seat really helps. A custom seat builder can increase or decrease the seat height to better fit you to the m/c.

Like you, I have owned a lot of m/c's. I have yet to find the perfect ride right out of the box. I have a new 08 GW (week old) and I am about to drop $2600 to upgrade the suspension so I can really take advantage of the GW power plant. Motorcycles are not like getting into a long-term commitment. Try it, ride, have fun with it and then when you get bored find something else. It works for me

Perry Ridgway

oknplm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDtoBMW
Hey forum i'm FNG , I have been reading Perry's post; and I'm in the same position. I came from 5 different sport bikes, and 3 different HD 1 soft-tail and 2 touring. Now I was thinking of BMW 1200LT . I'm 6'3" and the GW 1800 is just no leg room for me, that lower fairing is in the way. The guys I ride with either ride GW 1800 or HD ultra's like myself. Perry or anyone, what do you think about the 1200LT ?

Trey
post #23 of 24 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 2:33 pm

Perry I cant agree with you more, I'm not married to any M/C or name brand. I'll try it, if I like it fine; if not then NOT. I guess with there is nothing else to modify, it's time to change. Just buy change would you think BMW would increase the motor size to match the GW1800?.
post #24 of 24 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 3:15 pm Thread Starter

Question Re: Selling Out

Heard so many rumors of what the next LT version will be that it is impossible to really know. Heard for a while the S engine was to be used. Recently I heard a new 6 cylinder. Also heard that the next LT will be much lighter. For all anyone knows, the LT as we know it, may just be eliminated from production and an all new touring model will appear. A lot of riders are intimidated by an 800 lb. + machine. And it appears BMW is trying to get younger riders to its brand. At this point it is all speculation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDtoBMW
Perry I cant agree with you more, I'm not married to any M/C or name brand. I'll try it, if I like it fine; if not then NOT. I guess with there is nothing else to modify, it's time to change. Just buy change would you think BMW would increase the motor size to match the GW1800?.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in