Should I buy a 2005 LT? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 1:35 am Thread Starter

Should I buy a 2005 LT?

So, this bike is local, a 2005 with just over 30,000 miles, light yellow metallic (not my fave color, but liveable), and looks to be in good shape. It's at a local HD dealer, and its apparent they want to get rid of it, as it's $9995 plus fees.

At just about $11,800 out the door, this looks like a heck of a deal. The service records are there, complete with stamps from the local dealer, as well as manuals, extra keys, etc. Few small scratches here and there, but no major signs of trauma. Dealer says 30K service was just completed at local BMW dealer prior to trade-in. Skins are mid-life ME880's in good looking shape.

For reference, I'm an RT-P guy right now, as my commuter, but am looking at the luxo-barge as a 2-up toy for the weekends with the wifey. I'm a pretty proficient wrench with the RT, but it doesn't look like the LT is quite as accessible, although still self-wrenchable for the really determined.

The options are anti-theft system with central locking, 6 disc changer, and heated seats, as far as I can see.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 2:06 am

Re: Should I buy a 2005 LT?

Price looks good. Why don't you ask the dealer if you can take it for a test ride and a diagnostic by the lcoal BMW dealer? That way you can also check out the service record and see what work was really done on it and get an expert opinion on the current status of the motorcycle.

I'd also suggest looking at an extended warrenty if one is available. I turned down an '05 model in favor of an '06 model for just that reason. The 'o6 had a factory warrenty still on the clock and getting an extended warrenty was no problem. I've already used my factory warrenty to cover about 3 ~ 4K in repairs (radio repalced, rear brake rotor replaced, reverse gear switch reconnected when it wouldn't reverse properly).

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #3 of 8 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 12:52 pm

I bought mt '06 from my local Hardley stealer & got, what I thought was a great deal (an '06 in '06 at $5K off MSRP + farkles), and less than 3K on the clock. Nobody knew the bike or wanted it around to allow "customers" to compare it to the Ultras - only the die hards would shell out for an Ultra with the LT there.

You'll probably find your LT was owned by a die hard who coudn't take the pressure from the local HOG.... enjoy your new ride...

post #4 of 8 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 3:14 pm

Talking Re: Should I buy a 2005 LT?

RPMone offers a warranty on out of warranty bikes for a higher cost. Not sure how much higher. My warranty purchased through BMW of Eugene,OR has already paid for itself.
No co-pay
No exclusions
unlimited milage
for five years till 08/2013
No deductions

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #5 of 8 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 4:04 pm

I bought my '03 with one week left on the warranty. I didn't purchase the aftermarket warranty and now I wish I had..........I wouldn't buy another LT without a warranty..........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #6 of 8 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 9:06 pm

Well... I found my 05 LT from a fellow who put an ad on the BMW MOA site. It was out of factory warranty and out of my home state but it looked like new - it only had 5200 miles on it.

In 3 months I've put over 3K miles on it. Changed the "oil's" myself (not hard). I am very happy with it.

Jon

2011 R1200RT - not named yet

2005 K1200LT Blue - "Sapphire" - gone
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 ST1100 Red - "Red Rider"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMW MOA #139052
post #7 of 8 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 1:01 pm

I have an 05 with 50,000 kms (30,000 miles) and love it. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

post #8 of 8 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 3:03 pm

I bought my 2005 LT private party. It had 7K on it, he just had it serviced and new tires but was out of warranty by time. The guy put on every imaginable option (see list below)on it. I paid $15,000.00 & tax. I think if you can get it checked out a a BMR store it sounds like a great price.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in