Need help - leaking exhaust? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Jul 12th, 2008, 9:35 am Thread Starter

Question Need help - leaking exhaust?

My '99 LT (65k miles) suddenly sounds like a Diesel. I also hear a distinct buzzing tune that plays along with the engine up until 3-4k rpm or so.

Info from the site points to a leaking exhaust, but I cannot find the leak visually. It does not appear to be coming from the weld behind the passenger footpeg. There doesn't SEEM to be any soot around any of the head flanges, but it's hard to tell. I can look at them with the bike running, and nothing is obvious. No loose headers. I don't notice any change in performance, just the increase in engine noise and the buzz.

I'll be able to pull the plastic for a better look later in the week, but is there anything else that might cause this? I recently changed the oil. No leaks or drips. And should I park the bike? I have a 300 mile trip ahead of me and I would much prefer to ride.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Jul 12th, 2008, 10:31 am

Re: Need help - leaking exhaust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGroves
My '99 LT (65k miles) suddenly sounds like a Diesel. I also hear a distinct buzzing tune that plays along with the engine up until 3-4k rpm or so.

Info from the site points to a leaking exhaust, but I cannot find the leak visually. It does not appear to be coming from the weld behind the passenger footpeg. There doesn't SEEM to be any soot around any of the head flanges, but it's hard to tell. I can look at them with the bike running, and nothing is obvious. No loose headers. I don't notice any change in performance, just the increase in engine noise and the buzz.

I'll be able to pull the plastic for a better look later in the week, but is there anything else that might cause this? I recently changed the oil. No leaks or drips. And should I park the bike? I have a 300 mile trip ahead of me and I would much prefer to ride.

Thanks!
While working in the dealerships, we would use a soapy water mix and spray around the exhaust to check for leaks.
Also works for intake leaks too, the idle will drop when sprayed around the intake.

2003 Black
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
K1200LTC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Garmin 450
XM Radio
Video Camera Mount
Fender Mount Driving Lights
Autocom Super Pro AVi
Saddlebag LED Lights

Bakup Backrest
Grip Puppies
VStream Windscreen
Muth Mirrors
2008 Bushtec

post #3 of 18 Old Jul 12th, 2008, 10:35 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
While working in the dealerships, we would use a soapy water mix and spray around the exhaust to check for leaks.
Also works for intake leaks too, the idle will drop when sprayed around the intake.
I'll try that. I was expecting a crack or loose connection to be obvious. It sounds like that may not be the case...

Thanks for the idea!

post #4 of 18 Old Jul 12th, 2008, 4:44 pm

Exhaust gaskets are leaking.....

I just changed mine at 47k on a 2005
was making a buzzing whisilling noise
around 3500 - 4000 +

pull the bottom plastic only on exhaust side
look for black exhaust blow by around the pipes

that is the exhaust gasket that is leaking

no worries order all 4 of the gaskets
and a new stud or 2
and all of the nuts

Ridesalot

2005 LT "The grey one with the bugs on it."
post #5 of 18 Old Jul 12th, 2008, 10:08 pm Thread Starter

I hope they don't take as long to get as the brake line I bought in April...

Thanks for the tips.

Jeff
post #6 of 18 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 9:12 am

# 2 gasket almost gone in one place on mine

so i replaced them all.....

i looked and found no maintenance interval on
exhaust gaskets
not even "check tightness on this fastener at 000000 miles".

replaced all 4 gaskets 2 studs and all the nuts...

re torquing without gaskets at that point was pointless

If JGroves gaskets are compromised ( and they are makeing a whisling or buzzing noise) re torquing his would be pointless also......... IMHO

Ridesalot

2005 LT "The grey one with the bugs on it."
post #7 of 18 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 10:49 am

Loosen all the exhaust nuts on the headers so that the exhaust can drop down just a little, then try to turn all the flanges. If one or more turn any at all, the welds inside them where the pipe is welded is broken. This has happened on several, mine one of them.

If broken, easily re-welded.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #8 of 18 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 2:59 pm Thread Starter

Ok, so I went to the fiche to get the part #'s for the exhaust gaskets and studs/nuts. I couldn't find part #'s for the studs. I searched for "exhaust stud" on this site and found all the threads I wish I had found when searching for "exhaust leak". So anyway, thanks to those with advice and sorry for what has turned out to be a repeat of another recent thread.

But...

What is the part # for the studs? O-ring and nuts show up on exhaust system fiche. I can't find the studs there or in the "engine" section. And of course I could call the dealership for this info, but I know someone else knows and is dying to tell...

Thanks again,
Jeff
post #9 of 18 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 3:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

probably 07129908137

see #9 on Cylinder head fiche

Dan
post #10 of 18 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 4:26 pm

When replacing the O ring gaskets (I'm assuming you are talking about the copper crush ones) put a little grease on them before trying to balance all four at one time. Keeps them from falling off. I spent quite a bit of time learning this....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #11 of 18 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 5:48 pm

Timely Thread

I could use some advise while we are on the subject.

I have a 99lt that sounds like the bottom end is falling out of it when you crack the throttle hard from a idle. If I roll on the throttle it is smooth and quiet through the entire rpm range. Only happens when you nail it. It sounds low, tinny and in front of the peg area. Almost like a lose baffle or rattling skid plate. I have tried to bumb-hit everything I could get to with the tupperware on, but can not find any rattles. I am thinking exhaust flanges, but would like to know what you guys think? It only has 33,000 miles and runs fine. I may be putting it up for sale and need to get this fixed.

Any sugguestions?

Thanks
Pat
post #12 of 18 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 8:13 pm

Re: Timely Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patdcop

I have a 99lt that sounds like the bottom end is falling out of it when you crack the throttle hard from a idle. If I roll on the throttle it is smooth and quiet through the entire rpm range. Only happens when you nail it. It sounds low, tinny and in front of the peg area. Almost like a lose baffle or rattling skid plate. I have tried to bumb-hit everything I could get to with the tupperware on, but can not find any rattles. I am thinking exhaust flanges, but would like to know what you guys think? It only has 33,000 miles and runs fine. I may be putting it up for sale and need to get this fixed.

Any sugguestions?

Thanks
Pat
I'd start where the large tupperware panels meet the silver bottom ones in the front. If there's nothing there, cut some soft side of velcro to size (strips) and slap it on.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #13 of 18 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 6:14 pm

Re: Timely Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patdcop

Any sugguestions?

Thanks
Pat
That is very similar to what I had for 3-4 months before I discovered the welds inside the header flanges broken. Try my earlier test: Loosen all the header nuts until the header is slightly loose in the head and try to rotate all the flanges. If broken, whey will rotate around the pipe as far as the studs allow.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #14 of 18 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 6:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
When replacing the O ring gaskets (I'm assuming you are talking about the copper crush ones) put a little grease on them before trying to balance all four at one time. Keeps them from falling off. I spent quite a bit of time learning this....
I heard that's a sympton from lack of oxygen, i.e. jumping out of airplanes comes to mind.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #15 of 18 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 8:23 pm

Not quite as crowded up there as it is on the highways........

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #16 of 18 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 9:06 pm

Thanks David, I will try that this weekend. Griff, the plastics tight as I have put 3m HB tape along the seem. I just hate laying on my back paying homage to the girl. The things they do for attention.
post #17 of 18 Old Jul 24th, 2008, 8:04 pm Thread Starter

Gaskets came in today, so I thought I'd remove the exhaust and see if I could diagnose the problem.

Everything came apart nicely. Seven of the eight studs came out of the head, but threads all look nice. Fine. Removed exhaust and heat shield to inspect. Hmm. The exhaust was very clean. I could find no trace of soot anywhere. All welds looked good. Flanges were all tight with no signs of soot. So I figure maybe one of the gaskets was leaking (though there were no signs of rupture or broken seal area on the old gaskets).

I cleaned everything up and reassembled, new copper gaskets, torqued exhaust-to-C.H. studs to 22 Nm per manual. No change. Still sounds like a diesel, still has a tinny buzz until around 4k rpm.

Could the leak just be that hard to find? Does this sound like it could be anything else?

My next step is to let everything cool off, soak it all with soapy water, turn the engine over and hope for bubbles.

Also... I ordered some spare studs and nuts (just in case). The nuts they sent are much smaller than the originals (not the ID, just overall length). Did I order the wrong part or is this just the replacement? They are copper, like the originals.

Thanks again for the advice!

Last edited by JGroves; Jul 24th, 2008 at 8:24 pm.
post #18 of 18 Old Jul 25th, 2008, 4:12 pm

Try to look for a broken exhustline at cylinder nr. 4. It can be a problem on the older models

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in