Shifting Problems / Gear Indicator Problems - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jul 12th, 2008, 1:23 am Thread Starter

Shifting Problems / Gear Indicator Problems

I am new to the community and new to the K1200LT. I recently purchased a 2000 K1200LT with 15100 miles and I am having problems shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. I have adjusted the linkage both directions and it does not seem to help. If I pull in the clutch after second gear is engaged and work the shifter about 10 times or more it eventually shifts into 3rd gear and then 4th and 5th are no problem at all. Also, shifting from 5th all the down to 1st is no problem either. But once I go back down all the way to 1st the same symptoms happen again and I cannot get past 2nd unless I really work the shifter up what seems like a hundred up shift attempts and then it goes into 3rd etc. A note, if I stop at 2nd gear on the way down and I do not go into 1st I have no trouble going from 2nd to 3rd, 4th, 5th back up again. So, I have been leaving the transmission in 2nd from a stoplight and I have no troubles except for great wear on the clutch. I recently changed the transmission fluid, and after reading the posts, changed the fluid again to Mobil 1 Synthetic 75w-140 and that did not help. I have also bled and flushed the clutch.

The Gear indicator is also not reading correctly, 1st indicates "0" Green Neutral, neutral indicates "2", and there are no other readings in any other gear.

As far as the shift linkage goes, the longer rod which attaches to the shifter I believe is for comfort and is adjustable for height up and down for different foot sizes etc. Can some one please tell me about the rear linkage, as in does shortening it produce greater travel on the shifting mechanism or does lengthening it? Which way should I be adjusting it and by how much?

Thanks for all your great info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jul 12th, 2008, 2:31 am

Re: Shifting Problems / Gear Indicator Problems

Have you tried "preloading" the shifter with your foot (mentioned here several places)? Once you hit 2nd, relax your foot and then apply some up pressure on the lever, squeeze the clutch, roll of throttle and let your foot pressure push the shifter on up.
Dunno about the indication problem but I know it has been posted about on here before.
Try these threads.
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...gear+indicator

Last edited by Morley; Jul 12th, 2008 at 2:39 am.
post #3 of 4 Old Jul 12th, 2008, 3:10 pm Thread Starter

Well I spoke to soon and after sleeping on it I found the problem! I removed both linkages and looked at the actual shifter arm which attaches directly to the transmission. It was sitting at exactly 90 degrees to me. I removed the shifter arm and looked at the splines and there is a marked line on the arm. I reinstalled the arm but moved it down one spline so the arm sits angling down a little. Low and behold after reassembly it shifts like a dream and talk about smooth! I have 2 Harley's and a Ducati St4 and owned a Ducati 748 and this is by far the smoothest shifting tranny I have been on. Now if I can get the shift indicator to work right!?

post #4 of 4 Old Jul 12th, 2008, 8:27 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Randy,

That is a new data point I don't think we have seen here before. I'll have to file that one away. Thanks for sharing that solution. That is what makes this site so great.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in