Can we do our own 12K service on an 06? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jul 10th, 2008, 10:07 am Thread Starter

Can we do our own 12K service on an 06?

Time for the 12K and wonder if the job is too complex for the average Jeo. I have no problems with fluid chanes but the brake bleed scares me due to the ABS servo assit system and the tools required for it. I am not sure about the valve adjustment on these brick engines but have done them with ease on the apposing twins.

Any advice on whether the job can be done by the ordinary handy Joe or is best left to the dealer?

Regards...

Mugz

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #45711

2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jul 10th, 2008, 10:33 am

Thumbs up Re: Can we do our own 12K service on an 06?

At 12K miles and with your bike being an 06 you should not need to bleed the brakes yet. If you feel you need to, then take your bike to the dealer and have them do that part. Your valves most likely don't need to be adjusted, and checking them is not a big deal as only minimum disassembly is required.
The rest of the 12K maintenance can be done at home. You may want to look for tech sessions in your area. You will learn to work on your bike and make new friends. Just bring coffee and bagels, or you can host.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Jul 10th, 2008, 10:41 am Thread Starter

Re: Can we do our own 12K service on an 06?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
At 12K miles and with your bike being an 06 you should not need to bleed the brakes yet. If you feel you need to, then take your bike to the dealer and have them do that part. Your valves most likely don't need to be adjusted, and checking them is not a big deal as only minimum disassembly is required.
The rest of the 12K maintenance can be done at home. You may want to look for tech sessions in your area. You will learn to work on your bike and make new friends. Just bring coffee and bagels, or you can host.

Thnx zip. I picked up the bike in March used with 7K miles from an owner who had just recently (Oct 07) purchased it used from a dealer. The dealer told him everything was done on the bike which I assumed meant the 6K service but I could not get a verification of what work was performed.

I have scheduled the rear rotor to be replaced with the new style 5 stud and wonder if I should get the dealer to do the brake bleed at the time to make sure I am up to date on maintenance. I believe I can do the rest of the 12K with the Beemerboneyard kit. In future though, I would still like to know if the brake bleed is a possible do-it-yourself job. I also have an 03 1150GS w/ABS and wonder if that brake bleed is easy enough to do on my own.

Regards...

Mugz

BMWMOA - #45711

2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone

post #4 of 7 Old Jul 10th, 2008, 10:48 am

If you're handy and careful, you can certainly do a 12k on the LT. There is no magic. You should have the BMW CD or the new Clymer K1200 book.

There are procedure links available here, on the HOW (Hall of Wisdom) pages.

The ABS is a bit tedious and best if done by two people. In general, if you have not had the big girl down to her naked self, having someone who has is a good thing.

I'm about 95 miles NW of you in the suburbs of Detroit. Depending on how soon you want to attack her, I could possibly help. I have the tools, the books and the experience to do a 12k.

Do you have a dealer in Ontario or do you use Detroit or SE MI for parts and service?

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old Jul 10th, 2008, 10:58 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JATownsend
If you're handy and careful, you can certainly do a 12k on the LT. There is no magic. You should have the BMW CD or the new Clymer K1200 book.

There are procedure links available here, on the HOW (Hall of Wisdom) pages.

The ABS is a bit tedious and best if done by two people. In general, if you have not had the big girl down to her naked self, having someone who has is a good thing.

I'm about 95 miles NW of you in the suburbs of Detroit. Depending on how soon you want to attack her, I could possibly help. I have the tools, the books and the experience to do a 12k.

Do you have a dealer in Ontario or do you use Detroit or SE MI for parts and service?
Thnx J,

I moved to this area a little over a year ago so I still have no dealer in Ontario that I have been overly enamoured with. I still use the Montreal dealer which I trust but is quite far.

I contacted BMW Detroit but they did not reply to my email.

I see your LT is an 02, dothese have the same systems as the 06? I would certainly be interested to take you up on your offer if you are game but do not want to impose. If anything else, it would be reason for a ride and get to meet.

Regards...

Mugz

BMWMOA - #45711

2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
post #6 of 7 Old Jul 10th, 2008, 1:39 pm

If your brakes don't need to be bled, don't do it. Just check the fluid levels from the reservoir under the seat (not the handlebars).
post #7 of 7 Old Jul 10th, 2008, 2:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugszy
I contacted BMW Detroit but they did not reply to my email. I see your LT is an 02, do these have the same systems as the 06?
Mugszy,
If you want to contact BMW of Detroit (my closest dealer) it is BEST to call Don Lusk, the Service Manager at 244-274-4000. He's a good enough guy and can be helpful. I don't go there much as I do ALL my own routine maintenance. Don does change my tires, I bring in the wheels. He does a FIRST-CLASS balancing job.

But, the best thing about doing your own work is you get to know the LT a bit. And, you can be more careful than most dealers are. You get a chance to poke around, clean things up, look for issues before they become problems.

If I were you, I would certainly change to metal Quick Disconnects on your fuel lines and remove the Charcoal Canister if you haven't. Also, while the bike is stripped its a good time to add lighting, wire it up for GPS or XM. Having familiarity with the LT makes it much more enjoyable. My $0.02.

The '02 and '06 are essentially the same. Yes, you have more HP and that interesting hydraulic center stand, but the innards are all pretty much identical. Its a legacy model at this point. 10 years old. Not much is new.

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in