I thought the Dragon was going to leave me walking today! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Jul 10th, 2008, 12:39 am Thread Starter

Angry I thought the Dragon was going to leave me walking today!

Decided to drive the Lt to work today. As I arrived at the parking garage and stopped to trigger the gate I noticed my ABS lights flashing alternately. I knew what this meant and as soon as I pulled into the parking space and turned her off I could hear the ABS pump running. I knew that the relay had stuck AGAIN!! So I pulled out the tool kit raised the seat. Took the pliers and the rear wheel lug wrench out put the wrench on the thin attached part to the pump and gave it a medium rap on the end with the pliers. Pump stopped. So I locked her all up and went to work.

Came out of work stuck the key in and hit the starter....... nothing. Dash lights were on, radio on, headlight on, but when I hit the starter nuthing. Luckily I was on the second floor and next to the down ramp. I paddle pushed the bike to the down ramp, turn on the key and when I was able to pick up the feet let out the clutch and she fired up. Drove home and parked her in the garage turned her off and then restarted her. Don't know why the battery was down. Maybe I turned the key too far and left the park lights on. Anyway, I am tired of the ABS pump relay sticking so found the part number and will order a new one. Now I get to try out the newly found reset method to keep from having to take the bike to the dealer to reset the ABS lights.

I was going for a ride to Prescott on Saturday morning. Now I guess not.

I'll keep you all posted and try to take some photo's for you to see the procedure.

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Jul 10th, 2008, 11:38 am

Re: I thought the Dragon was going to leave me walking today!

Good job on knowing how to handle it and working around the issues. A lot of people, like me, would've just scratched their head. Thanks for educating me.

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
post #3 of 3 Old Jul 10th, 2008, 2:04 pm Thread Starter

Re: I thought the Dragon was going to leave me walking today!

Update:

Just ordered the relay. $118.00 from local dealer here in AZ. Last night checked on cost from Chicago BMW and A&S, Their cost $95 and $96 respectfully.

Parts gal told me that prices go up all the time and gave the example that earlier this week a new Battery was $120.00, now they were notified by BMWNA new battery is $160.00. That is a 35% increase!!! I know fuel cost are different but 35% is ridiculous!

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in