Tire rubbing paralever - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jul 9th, 2008, 10:12 pm Thread Starter

Tire rubbing paralever

Hi everyone,

Peculiar problem hoping someone has ideas about. Seems as though my rear tire is rubbing the paralever.

Bike is a 2000 K1200LT. I bought a new tire up in Spokane late last fall, so there was minimal riding after the tire was installed due to the winter weather. The tire is a ME 880 160/70 B17 73H. I can't find my receipt so i don't have the actual part number that was bought and installed. I bought the tire from Cycle Gear in Spokane and the folks there had a hard time finding the part number for the tire.

There is more to the story, but am thinking i have the wrong tire on the bike????? Can anyone verify the numbers above as right or wrong? I will call Cycle Gear tomorrow to get the part number of the tire we installed.

The rest of the story----I trailered the bike during my move from Spokane to Alabama. About 2 hours from destination, i hit some very rough roads, so pulled into a gas station at first opportunity to check on the bike. Sure enough, the two straps on the left side popped loose, and the bike was on its right side leaning against some cargo. Wasn't all the way over, but i tore up the rt saddle bag pretty good. I was thinking that there is always a possibility that damage was done when she laid over, but I really don't think that is the case.

Here is what i have done: I checked to see if I had lost a bearing or something, but everything is tight. Nothing appears to have any excessive or unusual play. So, i am thinking the bearings are fine, etc. I cannot see any marks around bolts, etc that would show that something shifted. In neutral and on the center stand, i spun the tire by hand. When it is on the center stand, the tire does not rub. Only when I have the bike upright, off the center stand, and with weight on it. My son sat on it and we rolled her back a little, the rub was present (squeally sound). I looked at the wheel very closely, and it does not appear to be warped. Also, I pulled the wheel off, and see a slight wear mark all the way around the tire. I also thought about tire pressure, and while it was 6 lbs low, I pumped it back up to a full 48 pounds, and the rub is still there.

So, back to my original assessment, I am thinking I have the wrong tire on the bike. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated. And, i truly hope this is all me just being a bone-head again and not a problem that is more than just a tire replacement.

thanks in advance. All of you are always so helpful.

Cheers from the muggy, hot Alabamer.

Brian

[IMG]
Brian "Coach" Landry
2000 Champaigne K1200LTC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jul 9th, 2008, 10:29 pm

Re: Tire rubbing paralever

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajinCajun
Hi everyone,

Peculiar problem hoping someone has ideas about. Seems as though my rear tire is rubbing the paralever.

Bike is a 2000 K1200LT. I bought a new tire up in Spokane late last fall, so there was minimal riding after the tire was installed due to the winter weather. The tire is a ME 880 160/70 B17 73H. I can't find my receipt so i don't have the actual part number that was bought and installed. I bought the tire from Cycle Gear in Spokane and the folks there had a hard time finding the part number for the tire.

There is more to the story, but am thinking i have the wrong tire on the bike????? Can anyone verify the numbers above as right or wrong? I will call Cycle Gear tomorrow to get the part number of the tire we installed.

The rest of the story----I trailered the bike during my move from Spokane to Alabama. About 2 hours from destination, i hit some very rough roads, so pulled into a gas station at first opportunity to check on the bike. Sure enough, the two straps on the left side popped loose, and the bike was on its right side leaning against some cargo. Wasn't all the way over, but i tore up the rt saddle bag pretty good. I was thinking that there is always a possibility that damage was done when she laid over, but I really don't think that is the case.

Here is what i have done: I checked to see if I had lost a bearing or something, but everything is tight. Nothing appears to have any excessive or unusual play. So, i am thinking the bearings are fine, etc. I cannot see any marks around bolts, etc that would show that something shifted. In neutral and on the center stand, i spun the tire by hand. When it is on the center stand, the tire does not rub. Only when I have the bike upright, off the center stand, and with weight on it. My son sat on it and we rolled her back a little, the rub was present (squeally sound). I looked at the wheel very closely, and it does not appear to be warped. Also, I pulled the wheel off, and see a slight wear mark all the way around the tire. I also thought about tire pressure, and while it was 6 lbs low, I pumped it back up to a full 48 pounds, and the rub is still there.

So, back to my original assessment, I am thinking I have the wrong tire on the bike. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated. And, i truly hope this is all me just being a bone-head again and not a problem that is more than just a tire replacement.

thanks in advance. All of you are always so helpful.

Cheers from the muggy, hot Alabamer.

Brian
Brian
My 1999 K 1200LT BMW repair manual sez rear tire is 160/70 R17 79 V tubeless, book is located at 1260 Plum Street Prattville Alabama if you would like to see it.---welcome to P'ville
C J (Sonny) Billingsley
post #3 of 8 Old Jul 9th, 2008, 10:32 pm

Yeah, looks like it is the wrong tire. The load rating should be 79 and speed rating V, not the 73H you posted.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles

post #4 of 8 Old Jul 9th, 2008, 10:38 pm

Damik Cajun, I guess you will be the first to have his rear drive go bad while trailering.... Just kiddin my friend. My memory is not always that good, But didn't the LT have a shim on the rim rim? Maybe you forgot to put it back on? If not, I think you are on the right track with the wrong tire from cycle gear. Great store but they do not understand BMW weight ratings. Especially the LT. Some tires have also delamed but usually with a bulge and not all the way around the tire. I wish we could have gotten together again before you left for Alabama. Good luck there.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #5 of 8 Old Jul 9th, 2008, 10:47 pm Thread Starter

Yea...I would be the one to forget the shimm. But, sorry, I got that covered. The shimm is there. I wanted really bad to head over the mountains to you before i left, but the dissertation about kicked my ass those last few months. never worked so hard! But, the payoff will come with the satisfaction of the growth i expereinced and the new ventures i will surely undertake thanks to the doors that will open.
Can't say that i am happy to be back here...I like it alright, but i was spoiled up there man!! Won't miss shoveling snow though!!!!!
Talk to you soon my friend. Stay in touch please.
Coach

[IMG]
Brian "Coach" Landry
2000 Champaigne K1200LTC

Last edited by RajinCajun; Jul 9th, 2008 at 11:59 pm.
post #6 of 8 Old Jul 10th, 2008, 11:32 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Shim or no shim you have the wrong tire. You need to replace it immediately as it is severley under rated for this bike. It must be the 79V REINF.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 Old Jul 10th, 2008, 6:47 pm Thread Starter

An update....I called Cycle Gear today in Spokane. The manager (they call them Team Leaders) was very nice and helpful. Long story short, together we found how the mistake was made, and he accepted full responisbility. I have a new tire on the way to the local dealer here in AL and it will be replaced free of charge. So, while a mistake was made, they took care of it! And, yes, another lesson learned, I should have doubled checked everything. So, i hold this as my fault as well. the bike is of course parked until the tire is changed, which should happen Mon or Tues.

[IMG]
Brian "Coach" Landry
2000 Champaigne K1200LTC

Last edited by RajinCajun; Jul 10th, 2008 at 8:45 pm.
post #8 of 8 Old Jul 12th, 2008, 8:18 am

Coach: Glad Cycle Gear was customer oriented. Wish you could accompany Cathy and I on our 5K Rideabout.

GB Brother!

SEREs & Cheers

Big AL

AL BOBST
BMWMOA # 123333
06 K1200LT

86 K100RT
74 KZ-1
68 305 Yamaha
USAF CMSgt (R)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in