Do I have a wobble??? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jul 9th, 2008, 5:33 pm Thread Starter

Do I have a wobble???

Hey there fellow LT'ers. Hoping someone can shed a little light on this for me.

Riding my 09 LT which only has about 400 miles on it. I am traveling a country 2 lane blacktop road today and I think I feel a wobble. Not sure if it's a front or a rear wobble. I am looking at the tree tops to make sure there is no significant wind. No wind. Maybe it's the tar snakes as it in the low 90's. Not sure what it is, but I think I am definitely feeling unstable at speeds of 50+. I pull over and check the bike over. Put it on centerstand, try to wiggle the front and rear wheels side to side. They seem to be secure. A quick check of bolts around tire and frame area, seems OK. Front brake rotors are not abnormally warm. Back rotor is HOT!!! I can't touch it it's so hot. Could I be dragging a rear brake caliper. Would that give me a wobble feel? Should the rear rotor be this hot? Seems like there is substantially more brake dust on the rear rim as compared to the front rim.

Any help on this is appreciated. I am schedule to have the 600 mile service done next Wednesday (7-16-08)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jul 9th, 2008, 5:44 pm

Re: Do I have a wobble???

I find the LTfollows the tar snakes far more than most other bikes. Best solution is to put more air in the tires. See posts regarding best pressure for your tires.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Jul 9th, 2008, 6:53 pm

Any time you have something hot I'd be concerned. I'd start by putting th emotorcycle up on the centerstand and checking the rear wheel for brake drag. Maybe your rear brake pedal needs to be adjusted if the brakes are dragging.

I'd also check the final drive to see how hot it is at the same time. Also, there is no reason not to take the motorcycle in to the dealer and have them do a diagnostic and test ride to see if it is a problem. One nice thing about the dealer is that they will document the problem. So, even if they say there is nothing wrong and you drive until poof your brake rotor melts, your rear wheel falls off, etc. you can get it fixed under warrenty as a prior claim (most times anyway).

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT

post #4 of 11 Old Jul 9th, 2008, 10:16 pm

Talk is cheep
Get a copy of the "Shop Work Order" or what ever they call it at your dealer stating the problem or concern you are bringing the bike in for and their repair,remedy or reason that "it" is not a problem .With a date on it . This may get a repair for something that craps out after warrantee .

Bob G
post #5 of 11 Old Jul 9th, 2008, 10:58 pm

My '09 is smooth as glass. However running over tar snakes makes happy button go off. The weight of this beast makes it more apparent I think.

Ride safe, ride smart, you're invisible; NOT invincible.

2016 R1200RTW Bronze

Before:
2009 K1200LT
2006 K1200GT
2004 R1200RT
1987 R80RT
1980 R100RT
post #6 of 11 Old Jul 10th, 2008, 2:11 am

Garage

Tyre pressures!!!

Curious about the hot rear disc though. Does the wheel bind on the centre stand when you try to turn it?

Or do you have a very large right foot or double jointed ankle, as I think it's the only way you could leave your foot covering the brake pedal while you ride. I miss mine all the time when I'm trying to hit it

You can't guarantee tomorrow, so do it today!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 Old Jul 10th, 2008, 5:35 am

Tar snakes ?
post #8 of 11 Old Jul 10th, 2008, 6:31 am

Tar Snakes, Overbanding

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #9 of 11 Old Jul 10th, 2008, 1:43 pm

Thanks Cookie! I was not sure what that was either.
My 2000LT seems to wonder left to right but I think it's me! No wobble here!

1985 K100RT 90k
1981 R100RT 56k miles Sold
2000 K1200LT 48k miles Sold
2003 Victory Vegas-12k miles Sold
1982 Suzuki GS550L only 299 miles Sold
1997 Yamaha Vmax-15k miles Sold
1996 Suzuki DR650-17k miles Sold
1996 R1100RT-27k miles Sold
1995 K1100LT-85k miles Sold
1982 Honda CB900F-33k mikes Sold
BMWMOA 138762[/I]
post #10 of 11 Old Jul 10th, 2008, 9:17 pm

My 02'LT felt better then any bike I have ridden over the "snakes". Maybe tire pressure(which I am anal about) is the culprit?

BMW'S ARE THE WORST BIKE IN THE WORLD, CEPT' WHEN YOU COMPARE THEM TO EVERYTHING ELSE!
post #11 of 11 Old Jul 11th, 2008, 8:48 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the opinions. I rod ethe LT to my boat, about 70 miles one way and back, with no wobble. I am leaning towards the tar snakes. When i got to the boat, the rear was about the same temp as the front rotors. Not sure what may have been going on with the heat issue the other day. As far as spinning the tire on center stand, I did that with no appearant drag. I will have my dealer take it for a ride on Wednesday and see what he thinks.

Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in