Lost Front Brakes - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jul 9th, 2008, 8:10 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Augusta, GA, USA
Posts: 796
Lost Front Brakes

I lost the use of my front brakes on the way home from a Club meeting last night. I noticed that the brake lever had to pumped a little to hold when I stopped and continued to get worse until I had no use of them at all by the time I got home. I was very lucky that there was almost no traffic the entire ride home so, other than the hills, it was a piece of cake.

My question: is Speiger the best replacement - per the other post re: line replacement?

Thanks

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
lnowell is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old Jul 9th, 2008, 8:25 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 14,434
Re: Lost Front Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnowell
I lost the use of my front brakes on the way home from a Club meeting last night. I noticed that the brake lever had to pumped a little to hold when I stopped and continued to get worse until I had no use of them at all by the time I got home. I was very lucky that there was almost no traffic the entire ride home so, other than the hills, it was a piece of cake.

My question: is Speiger the best replacement - per the other post re: line replacement?

Thanks
+2 for Speigler.

Git 'em in your fav color too!!!! J/K!
Dick is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old Jul 9th, 2008, 9:26 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Augusta, GA, USA
Posts: 796
Re: Lost Front Brakes

Anyone use these folks?

http://www.eurotechmotorsports.com

They show the replacement lines for $125.00.

Correction - their site now says wholesale only.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA

Last edited by lnowell; Jul 9th, 2008 at 9:31 am. Reason: Correction
lnowell is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 Old Jul 9th, 2008, 11:01 am
Senior Member
 
ArthurKnowles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fallbrook, CA, USA
Posts: 712
Re: Lost Front Brakes

I personally would not buy another Spieglar brake line unless I had no other choice. I'd buy Gafler or Melvin or any other brand.

Spielger lines are not always customized for a no-kink fit and don't believe one **** word from them that they are. I speak from personal experiance. As an FYI, their twist a line method just plain sucks. Their tool for holding the line so you can adjust it never works. Better to use a pair of pliers and a small cesent wrench. And just as an FYI (don't know if any other vendor includes them or not either) Speigler includes no instructions. If there is any specialty hardware in your kit, you'll have to figure out how to use it yourself or spend time on the phone with Spiegler about it.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
ArthurKnowles is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old Jul 9th, 2008, 12:57 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
 
katnapinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kyle, Texas, USA
Posts: 8,597
Re: Lost Front Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKnowles
I personally would not buy another Spieglar brake line unless I had no other choice. I'd buy Gafler or Melvin or any other brand.

Spielger lines are not always customized for a no-kink fit and don't believe one **** word from them that they are. I speak from personal experiance. As an FYI, their twist a line method just plain sucks. Their tool for holding the line so you can adjust it never works. Better to use a pair of pliers and a small cesent wrench. And just as an FYI (don't know if any other vendor includes them or not either) Speigler includes no instructions. If there is any specialty hardware in your kit, you'll have to figure out how to use it yourself or spend time on the phone with Spiegler about it.
Sorry to here you had trouble with the Spieglar line kit. I've installed 3 kits on 3 different LTs with "NO" trouble. I did have to twist a few of the ends of the hoses to line up correct. But there kits to do that worked well for me. JM2C BTW all the kits I've used DID have instructions in them.

Stevie Shreeve
katnapinn is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 7:42 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Augusta, GA, USA
Posts: 796
Re: Lost Front Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Sorry to here you had trouble with the Spieglar line kit. I've installed 3 kits on 3 different LTs with "NO" trouble. I did have to twist a few of the ends of the hoses to line up correct. But there kits to do that worked well for me. JM2C BTW all the kits I've used DID have instructions in them.
I received my Spiegler brake lines yesterday and other than the general instructions on the back of the package showing how to adjust the fittings, there was nothing else in the packing regarding specific instructions for the LT. Before I start disassembling my girl, is the replacement obvious as to where each of the 6 supplied lines go?

Thanks

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
lnowell is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 1:22 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
 
katnapinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kyle, Texas, USA
Posts: 8,597
Re: Lost Front Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnowell
I received my Spiegler brake lines yesterday and other than the general instructions on the back of the package showing how to adjust the fittings, there was nothing else in the packing regarding specific instructions for the LT. Before I start disassembling my girl, is the replacement obvious as to where each of the 6 supplied lines go?

Thanks
Yes just match up the lines with the old ones. The stock front line (From right caliper) is 1 piece and the replacement will be 2 lines and 1 junction block. You will have to reuse the metal line from the block to the left caliper line. Also I found it easier to get to the junction block (just below upper shock mount) for the line that runs from the rear master cylinder ( on right foot peg plate) if you remove the "LOWER" shock mount . That way you can raise the shock to get a wrench in to hold the block .

Stevie Shreeve

Last edited by katnapinn; Jul 15th, 2008 at 1:27 pm.
katnapinn is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 12:21 am
Senior Member
 
ArthurKnowles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fallbrook, CA, USA
Posts: 712
Re: Lost Front Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnowell
I received my Spiegler brake lines yesterday and other than the general instructions on the back of the package showing how to adjust the fittings, there was nothing else in the packing regarding specific instructions for the LT. Before I start disassembling my girl, is the replacement obvious as to where each of the 6 supplied lines go?
This is one of the many reasons I will never buy Spiegler lines again. Every time I bought them there were no instructions. The adapter to help you twist the line has never worked for me. Sometimes the lines are too long because they make them the same length as the original. I was told then needed to do that to maintain the warrenty for the BMW motorcyle. Mine was a '96 RT. What warrenty. Just more BS from Spiegler.

For my LT, when it comes time, I'll buy Gafler or Melvin, but not Spiegler. Ever!

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
ArthurKnowles is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 12:51 am
Senior Member
 
Buckelew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: San Jose, CA, USA
Posts: 818
Re: Lost Front Brakes

I've used several kits from Galfer and will happily use Galfer lines when I decide to replace my LT lines.

I haven't had to rely on instructions....but then again, I haven't replaced lines on a bike with ABS. THAT mileage may vary.
Buckelew is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 8:28 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Augusta, GA, USA
Posts: 796
Re: Lost Front Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKnowles
This is one of the many reasons I will never buy Spiegler lines again. Every time I bought them there were no instructions. The adapter to help you twist the line has never worked for me. Sometimes the lines are too long because they make them the same length as the original. I was told then needed to do that to maintain the warrenty for the BMW motorcyle. Mine was a '96 RT. What warrenty. Just more BS from Spiegler.

For my LT, when it comes time, I'll buy Gafler or Melvin, but not Spiegler. Ever!
I checked the Gafler site and could find no fitment information re the LT. I could find almost nothing on the Melvin lines. Perhaps I did not look hard enough, but I tried them first based on your earlier reply.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
lnowell is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 8:53 am
Senior Member
 
azpilot06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Maricopa, AZ, USA
Posts: 111
Re: Lost Front Brakes

Arthur will roast me for this...we already had this discussion on the RT board

I bought Spieglers for my RT when the OEM lines blew, and they were very helpful. I called on a Thursday, and they made up a set same-day, and shipped them to me 2nd day air, with Saturday deliver. Had UPS not....made love to the pooch, I would've gotten them in that same weekend.

It's true that you may experience a bit of grief with fit in some areas, as Spieglers cuts their lines to be the -exact- same length as the OEM lines. Braided SS is a lot less flexible in small-radius bends, so it's a bit more work getting the lines coaxed into the same shape as the flexy rubber lines that are stock. When I called Spieglers to give feedback after my install, they said they are aware that this causes some woe, but also that they've had several conversations directly with BMW Motorrad, and that BMW insists that aftermarket lines must be cut to the same length and configuration as the OEM lines in order for brakes to function properly, warranties not to be voided, etc etc etc.

As for the installation, it's pretty easy if you go one line at a time...that is, remove one stock line, find the new SS line that matches length and fitting configuration/bend, and install the new line with the new washers (and your old banjo bolt, unless you've bought new ones).

The plastic adapter they provide to twist the fittings' configuration worked OK for me...but eventually gave out about 3/4 of the way through the install. The adapter has some little plastic teeth on it, which just aren't up to the task of 10-12 adjustments. A bit annoying, but not a show-stopper.

All in all, I was happy that Speiglers helped me out (they generally make their kits to-order, as there are a ton of different configurations/colors they offer) quickly, and the kit worked well. You may find that the kit is not an absolutely perfect drop-in, and that some minor fitting is required. However, I don't know that this is totally unexpected from any manufacturer that doesn't only make parts for BMWs.

In any case, good luck on the search. If you do go the route of Spieglers, they're one of the few you can call directly (instead to having to go to a distributor), and order/purchase product.
azpilot06 is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 2:41 pm
Senior Member
 
ArthurKnowles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fallbrook, CA, USA
Posts: 712
Re: Lost Front Brakes

No worries, no roasting either. I'm just too miffed off at Spiegler to use them or recommend them again. It's a personal thing.

As for Melvin lines. Your BMW dealer can get them, and they are advertised in various magazines. I'll try and did up their contact info later tonight and post it for you.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
ArthurKnowles is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 9:10 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Augusta, GA, USA
Posts: 796
Re: Lost Front Brakes

I ordered and received the Spiegle brake lines. I took some time off from work yesterday afternoon to install them and it went pretty smooth until: I could not figure out how to install the upper line from the brake lever to the ABS unit. I have the instructions on how to remove the right hand grip assembly, but I need to know if there is a was to just rotate it enough to get to the banjo bolt so that it can removed and reinstall with the new line.

The lower section was not that bad but I did have a time with the short line from the foot brake to the ABS. I only had to adjust two of the six lines slightly with the worthless plastic things so that part was not bad. I did notice something that did bother me - when I was reinstalling the right foot assembly, I noticed the new brake line did not twist - the joint at the lower fitting rotated - which I think is bad. I did have to make a small adjustment on this line, but it was to the fitting on the other end. Is this going to be a problem?

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
lnowell is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 9:55 am
Senior Member
 
azpilot06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Maricopa, AZ, USA
Posts: 111
Re: Lost Front Brakes

You're not going to get a lot of twist out of braided lines - adjusting the connectors to accommodate the angles is the way to go with SS lines.
azpilot06 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Front wheel removal eibacher K1200LT 20 Dec 13th, 2012 9:56 pm
Bleeding brakes K1200LT Caveno K1200LT 7 May 5th, 2008 2:40 pm
02 Front Brakes Grabbing / Pulsing vipergman2 K1200LT 6 Aug 16th, 2006 6:30 pm
Front Brakes BMWeasyrider K1200LT 9 Apr 26th, 2006 9:58 am
Rear brake squeal linked to front brakes? Vince_nj1 K1200LT 19 Apr 2nd, 2006 10:37 am

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome