Windshield Wiper. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jul 9th, 2008, 12:24 am Thread Starter

Windshield Wiper.

..... not much experience, riding on a rain (SoCa doesn't provide much of this staff), had some rain storms on my trip to Canada, found out that the windshield (+2) provide an excellent protection, but visibility is yok zero none... nothing, nada, barely could see the strips ... really scared the hell out of me, so with all the gadgets that we carry on this big Puppy, do you think a portable, windshield whipper is a bad idea ???????????????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jul 9th, 2008, 12:58 am

Re: Windshield Wiper.

Well, somebody might wonder all the farkles that I have on my bike, some of them created by myself, some stolen from others. But...a windshield wiper has never, ever turned me on

I usually ride behind the windshield in good weather but when it rains, I just lower it so that I am looking just through one single plexiglass (my helmet screen). There are plenty of stuff available that can be applied either on the screen or on the helmet visor in order to reduce the surface tension and thus help the water to disappear.

IMHO trying to keep a plastic screen free from scratches is tough enough without having a motorized "scrath-o-mat" doing it at steady pace together with the road grime...

Sorry but no thanks...

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures of various farkle projects:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Jul 9th, 2008, 1:05 pm Thread Starter

.... my Windshield is to tall, even in its lowest position I am still looking through it .... I think it is a serious safety issue, small portable devise like they use on Golf Carts or boats, well design should not harm the windshield

post #4 of 9 Old Jul 9th, 2008, 2:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by yair1956
.... my Windshield is to tall, even in its lowest position I am still looking through it .... I think it is a serious safety issue, small portable devise like they use on Golf Carts or boats, well design should not harm the windshield
Yair,

I understand your problem and my suggestion is that you need a lower windshield. The actual safety issue is your too high screen, not the lack of a windshield wiper. LT has a nice adjustable windshield and one purpose of the mechanism is to allow the rider to look over the shield in some cases. If you cannot do that, you either should get a lower shield or trim you shield lower.

Depending on what kind of a shield you have, the trimming is either no big deal or it is impossible. The latter applies to CeeBaileys shields with wings, those you cannot trim shorter without destroying the whole idea of the shield.
Other shields can be trimmed from the bottom end with a table saw. (I have done it.)
If you need advise with the trimming, let me know, I'm glad to help you.

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #5 of 9 Old Jul 9th, 2008, 4:23 pm

Here in the great North Wet, I can’t say we enjoy riding in the stuff, but if we don’t ride in it, we don’t get to ride much. So we’re definitely more used to being out in the rain than most folks. I can assure you that the ability to lower the wind screen while driving was primary selling point for the LT for me. Ari’s right, if you can get the windshield below eye level, the pressure of the wind will keep most of the rain off the helmet’s shield, especially if you have a light coat of wax on it.
It sounds like it would be a great idea, but I’ve seen windshield wipers put on aircraft that have basically the same plastic that’s on the LT…….believe me, you don’t want to do it; it scratches WAY too easy! A little road spray smeared back and forth and you’ll be replacing it.

"Are more people opposed to fur than leather, because it's easier to harass rich women than bikers."
Ananymous.....
post #6 of 9 Old Jul 9th, 2008, 5:31 pm

If you ride in Florida, in the summer, you ride in the rain. I simply lower the windshield and use the full face helmet. Two or three (sunglasses) blocks are too much. The Nolan full face does an excellent job and that's without anything on the faceplate. Haven't tried Rain X as it's not necessary on a clean faceplate. Rain drops simply runnnnnnnnn.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #7 of 9 Old Jul 9th, 2008, 7:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by yair1956
..... barely could see the strips ... really scared the hell out of me, so with all the gadgets that we carry on this big Puppy, do you think a portable, windshield whipper is a bad idea ???????????????
If it's raining so hard you can barely see the stripes, it's time to find an overpass or a hotel for the night! I don't mind the rain, but that would be a bit too much for me!

Whipper? Whipper? We don't need no stinking whipper!

Regards,

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #8 of 9 Old Jul 9th, 2008, 11:04 pm

There is this: http://tinyurl.com/65hr29

I'd really like to try one but a tad pricey for all that it is
post #9 of 9 Old Jul 10th, 2008, 12:52 am
Cat Herder

Garage
Smile Re: Windshield Wiper.

What is with this Whipper thing... are you guys in to S&M... LOL
you must mean "wiper"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacolt
If it's raining so hard you can barely see the stripes, it's time to find an overpass or a hotel for the night! I don't mind the rain, but that would be a bit too much for me!

Whipper? Whipper? We don't need no stinking whipper!

Regards,

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in