A New Day - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jul 8th, 2008, 10:38 pm Thread Starter

A New Day

I just purchased my first non-Harley m/c and so far I love it.I purchased a used K-1200 and have already put over a thousand miles on her. I am certainly not used to the sound nor performance but will try to adjust. I have already availed myself of a lot of technical information on this site,and have found it to be most helpful in adjusting to my new ride,Thanks everyone. I was told that there might be an aftermarket lowering kit available,and was wondering if anyone has installed one if it does exist. Otherwise I will just tip toe at the
lights!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jul 9th, 2008, 7:28 am

Re: A New Day

I'm not sure about a lowering kit, but I believe Works Performance shocks sells a set that will do the job. You might also check Wilbers and Ohlins as well.
I've been doing some research into new shocks and I think I saw something about one of them coming in a shorter version. You might do a search on the site and see what you come up with.

Bob Brendel
05 LT, Light Metallic Yellow
99 LT, Totaled 3/09
97 HD Former Work Bike
88 GL1500
84 GL1200
S3 400 Kaw, too long ago to remember the year
175 Yamaha even longer

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night

Only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

George Orwell
post #3 of 7 Old Jul 9th, 2008, 8:32 am
Gold Supporter

Welcome aboard.
Not too technical info;
Make sure your seat is in the lower position and you can crank your shock adjuster back all the way to get it to sit lower.
If you done that already, just be careful where you stop.
Enjoy!

Still -
Just a dog without a bone ~...............

CCR '09 Great trip!, 2010 Miles of smiles, 2011 Can this possibly get better? 2012 a Superior trip!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT - ZZ Trailer
1983 R100
BMWMOA #158807 Michiana BMW Club #122

post #4 of 7 Old Jul 9th, 2008, 9:04 am

Wink Re: A New Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerDreemer
I just purchased my first non-Harley m/c and so far I love it.I purchased a used K-1200 and have already put over a thousand miles on her. I am certainly not used to the sound nor performance but will try to adjust. I have already availed myself of a lot of technical information on this site,and have found it to be most helpful in adjusting to my new ride,Thanks everyone. I was told that there might be an aftermarket lowering kit available,and was wondering if anyone has installed one if it does exist. Otherwise I will just tip toe at the
lights!
Welcome to the forum! Take a look here and you may find what you are looking for if you meant lowering kit for the footpegs: http://www.suburban-machinery.com/

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old Jul 9th, 2008, 5:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerDreemer
lights!
Lotsa folks have done the following, in order to feel more secure at stops. Lower the rider seat to the low position (using the rotating bar under the seat), and then having 'some' riding boots resoled with a thicker sole in order to gain a half to three quarters of an inch (some = meaning not all m/c boots are easily resoled - takes a sharp cobbler to do 'em).
post #6 of 7 Old Jul 9th, 2008, 10:55 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Folks for the suggestions.I have a Corbin custom seat and I think that is part of the problem,in that it does not conform to the bike width where the seat begins to widen,nor does it possess a lowering bar, but well worth the inconvenience I am told. I am in the process of ordering new gear that is more appropriate for the type of riding I am now doing.(sleevless,and non-DOT type helmet will not serve me too well,now that I can actually negotiate the twisties!) I will try lowering the shock adjuster to a lower setting and see if it helps. Just a side bar,you all, (BMW Owners), sure seem a lot more technically saavy than I am used to and with the cost of maintaining a m/c today I sure do appreciate your forum.
post #7 of 7 Old Jul 10th, 2008, 6:13 am

If you haven't read elsewhere on this sight, most ex cruiser riders have one problem adjusting to the LT. It likes it's rpms at or above 4000. Don't be afraid to rev it. Especially in the twisties, don't let them get below 4000 rpm.

Have fun with the new ride !

James Ranks
2008 BMW R1200RT 7200 miles
2005 BMW R1200GS 13000 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in