BC is accurate!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jul 7th, 2008, 9:37 am Thread Starter

BC is accurate!!

I ran out of fuel on Saturday. This is no surprise as I always hate stopping for fuel (even before the prices went through the roof) and I'm always pushing it to the limit, though I've gotten away with it for the last 20 years!! I even keep a note of how far I've gone on each tank so I have some idea where the limit is. But it had to happen eventually.

The problem is that on the previous fill I didn't fill up - just threw 20 Euros worth in (about 15 liters). So I was relying on the board computer and guess what? - it ran out within a kilometer or two of where it predicted!

Imagine my surprise as on both my previous R1200RT and STX1300A (and my present and previous cars) the computers are seriously pessimistic with up to 50km possible after it says you're dry.

I mention this in the hopes it saves someone else a hassle.

Kevin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jul 7th, 2008, 3:04 pm

Re: BC is accurate!!

Thank goodness mine isn't

I've gotten as much as thirty miles after the -----

With this post, now its just a matter of time

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old Jul 7th, 2008, 3:27 pm

Mine goes to -- at 14 miles. And I have frequently run the 14 miles after the --.

Doug
'05 K1200LT,
My dog is very selective where he will pee, yet he will poop anywhere. In that regard; we couldn’t be more different.

post #4 of 14 Old Jul 7th, 2008, 4:35 pm

over the winter I took my tank off the bike after I had ran it down to about 50 miles left on the BC. When I drained the tank it had 3 gallons in the tank still. So I think my bc is wrong.

Jeremy
1999 Champagne
Bike #70151
post #5 of 14 Old Jul 7th, 2008, 4:50 pm

Fifteen miles after it hits zero left, my thumb is out.
post #6 of 14 Old Jul 8th, 2008, 6:51 am Thread Starter

Yes, but the thing to note is that it doesn't count down all the way to 0 and then go ----- . It counts down to about 20k and then jumps to ----. So you have to monitor the countdown and cross reference with the odometer and once the bc says ---- do the remainder of the countdown using the odometer.

This is why some people are claiming xxx miles after ----. What I'm saying is that it ran out almost exactly where it should have using the above system. And this is sure different from the R1200RT and very different from the STX1300A on which ---- meant 'should think about maybe starting to consider looking for fuel sometime soon'.

Kevin.
post #7 of 14 Old Jul 8th, 2008, 9:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by highroamer
Yes, but the thing to note is that it doesn't count down all the way to 0 and then go ----- . It counts down to about 20k and then jumps to ----. So you have to monitor the countdown and cross reference with the odometer and once the bc says ---- do the remainder of the countdown using the odometer.

This is why some people are claiming xxx miles after ----. What I'm saying is that it ran out almost exactly where it should have using the above system. And this is sure different from the R1200RT and very different from the STX1300A on which ---- meant 'should think about maybe starting to consider looking for fuel sometime soon'.

Kevin.
On the American BC it goes to ---- at 10 miles.

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 Old Jul 8th, 2008, 10:25 am
Cat Herder

Garage

With the fuel gauge reading more than a 1/4 of a tank and the BC saying 70-90 mile left, I will be standing on the side of the road with my thumb out... OUT OF GAS

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #9 of 14 Old Jul 8th, 2008, 1:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy
With the fuel gauge reading more than a 1/4 of a tank and the BC saying 70-90 mile left, I will be standing on the side of the road with my thumb out... OUT OF GAS
Sounds like a wrinkle in your fuel gauge tube BTDT

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

post #10 of 14 Old Jul 8th, 2008, 5:16 pm

This readout is adjustable.
I had a very similar situation with my '07 LT. The trip computer was showing that I still can go about 20 miles, but the engine stopped. Luckily it was right in front of gas station, so I had enough momentum to coast to the distributor.
I took the bike to the dealer next day and they adjusted the read out, so it shows -- when it's less than 15 miles to empty.

BJ
2015 R Nine T
2007 LT Storm Grey
2005 LT Gold (traded in for '07)
2007 G 650 Xchallenge
post #11 of 14 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 6:53 am

My BC was of no use until I calibrated it, (a very simple process) Now it is right on with both MPG and miles remaining.
post #12 of 14 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 8:36 am Thread Starter

How do you calibrate it? Is this something an owner can do? Mine seems accurate but I'm just curious.
post #13 of 14 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 9:08 am

If you have an older LT, you can calibrate your BC.

The procedure is as follows (thanks to Paul Ford):
To adjust the MPG readout on the BC, do the following:

1) Divide the displayed MPG value by the actual MPG value, than multiply by 1000. For example, 48 MPG divided by 55 MPG = 0.872 x 1000 = 872. Remember this number. (Editor's note: You might want to run a few tanks through resetting the BC only on the first tank but measuring actual MPG by hand for each tank to get a good average.)

2) Press the reset and mode buttons on the BC simultaneously, then release. (Editor's note: do this with the ignition ON.) The BC will display '01'.

3) Use the BC button on the right hand control switch to scroll through the four test screens. Stop when '03' is displayed and then press the reset button. WARNING: Watch the screen carefully at this point! As soon as you press 'reset', look for the very first number displayed. This is the current MPG calibration factor but it's only displayed for a second before the number starts to count up. The OEM setting is usually 1000 (no calibration) but it might not be and you may wish to return to the original number if you're not happy with the results of this exercise. The number will begin to scroll, starting with the current setting, up to 1250. It will then begin again at 750 and continue up. When this number reaches the number closest to the number that you remembered from step 1), press the reset button again. That will reset the calibration factor for your display.

The other three test screens will not do anything.

I did this recently to my '99 and finally, the BC is useful for more than just a temperature readout!

2005 Kawasaki Z750S
1999 BMW K1200LT
1972 Honda CL350

BMWMOA # 139202
post #14 of 14 Old Jul 21st, 2008, 10:17 am Thread Starter

That's good to know, though it doesn't appear relevant to my later model.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in