Customer Service Warranty Sucks Need Help - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Jul 6th, 2008, 10:34 pm Thread Starter

Customer Service Warranty Sucks Need Help

I write to you concerning a serious warranty issue with my BMW Motorcycle - 2006 K1200LT. I am getting the runaround and basically nowhere from BMW customer service of North America, and with 441 Cycle Shop, Inc. 4201 Peters Road, Plantation, Florida 33317, whereby both are pointing the fingers at each other, at the previous owner, and at myself, with regard to my warranty problems.

I recently purchased this motorcycle from the original owner. During his ownership he had the right mirror housing replaced and the radio partition flap replaced by 441 Cycle Shop. Both parts still do not fit properly (verified by two local dealers, Browns BMW in Pomona and Malcolm Smith BMW of Riverside) and also have been replaced by parts of the wrong paint color.

Apparently 441 failed to correctly match the color code of this bike when ordering these parts by failing to simply check under the seat for the proper codes. BMW, in turn, does not have a color code listed in their computer for this specific motorcycle. This was verified by Browns BMW. The color ordered by 441 was Dark Metallic Graphite, while Browns verified that the correct color should have been Magnesium Schwartz.

At one point 441 agreed to replace the parts if I would bring the bike to their shop, they knowing full well that I am in California and they are in Florida. They later agreed to replace the parts if I would mail it to them, but they later reneged on this promise. This is documented by BMW customer service.

The dealer, 441, admits to ordering the wrong part number from BMW. BMW claims that the error is by 441 yet BMW refuses to insist that they correct their incompetent errors. Both BMW and 441 are claiming that the original owner accepted the parts and thus both are absolving themselves of responsibility. This is Unacceptable. It wasn’t until I was checking that the parts did not fit properly, that I noticed the color did not match the rest of the bike.

I am appalled by the fact that I am now expected to pay to replace these parts, which were once already paid for, but were never done correctly in the first place. Thus, I have a mismatched bike, which no one wants to accept responsibility for. This is just not the right way to treat your customers.

My point is this. I purchased the bike in good faith with the full warranty still in effect. I have owned several BMW motorcycles for over 20 years. Now I find that when push comes to shove, no one stands behind their work, their word, or their product. So it appears I am now the owner of a very expensive BMW motorcycle with a seemingly worthless warranty which remains an illusion, to be pursued yet never attained.

I really DO expect someone to take responsibility for these uncalled for mistakes. WRONG IS WRONG AND TRUTH IS TRUTH, there is no other way to look at it. Therefore, I am willing to pursue every legal avenue to resolve this matter.

Anyone that can help with postive feedback, or know of whom to contact with bmw, would be greatly appreciated.

'83 R65 - PAST
'87 K100LT - PAST
'05 K1200LT- PAST
'06 K1200LT- PRESENT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Jul 6th, 2008, 11:39 pm

Re: Customer Service Warranty Sucks Need Help

Well, much as I hate to say it I think you are in the wrong here. You bought a used motorcycle from a private party and accepted it "As Is". It's not a warrenty issue to repalce as the parts function. You need to accept "responsibility" for your actions or lack of them (i.e., you didn't notice the miscolored parts).

If the dealer or BMW NA decide to help you, it is a gracious choice, but certinly not a requirement. If there is any real recourse for you, it would between you and the previous owner.

As for the fit problem, if you mean it needs to be adjusted, that most likely should be covered under warrenty and if so any BMW delaer local to you should be willing to do the work. I certainly would not expect them to repalce it because it is the wrong color, however.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #3 of 20 Old Jul 7th, 2008, 6:42 am

I agree with Arthur. Time to move on! Remove the wrong color parts and sell them on this site, buy the correct replacement parts and ride!!!!

2002LTC 102,000
1979 Honda CX 500 50,000..Sold
1983 FJ1100 Sold
Don.

post #4 of 20 Old Jul 7th, 2008, 7:18 am

You write like a lawyer...

How can the mirror not fit correctly in a way that can not be adjusted in minutes? You bought a used bike, if the previous owner accepted the item than that is what it is. Only if the prevoius owner had a written commitment from the shop to replace the items could you have a case.

I assume you got a good deal, enjoy it and go for a ride...

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #5 of 20 Old Jul 7th, 2008, 7:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKnowles
Well, much as I hate to say it I think you are in the wrong here. You bought a used motorcycle from a private party and accepted it "As Is". It's not a warrenty issue to repalce as the parts function. You need to accept "responsibility" for your actions or lack of them (i.e., you didn't notice the miscolored parts).

If the dealer or BMW NA decide to help you, it is a gracious choice, but certinly not a requirement. If there is any real recourse for you, it would between you and the previous owner.

As for the fit problem, if you mean it needs to be adjusted, that most likely should be covered under warrenty and if so any BMW delaer local to you should be willing to do the work. I certainly would not expect them to repalce it because it is the wrong color, however.
I have to agree with Arthur.
I really don't want to give you the wrong impression here. We are a tight nit group, but................

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchster
I write to you concerning a "serious" warranty issue with my BMW Motorcycle - 2006 K1200LT.
ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME???

Here's some positive feedback:
Take the bike to a compentent paint shop and have them "match" the color, adjust the cover and move on with life.
Of all the things, quite whinning.
Geez.

Ride safe, ride smart, you're invisible; NOT invincible.

2016 R1200RTW Bronze

Before:
2009 K1200LT
2006 K1200GT
2004 R1200RT
1987 R80RT
1980 R100RT

Last edited by ltdavey; Jul 7th, 2008 at 11:15 am.
post #6 of 20 Old Jul 7th, 2008, 7:38 am

Let's see if I have this one straight.

You buy a USED bike from a PRIVATE PARTY. The original owner of the bike accepted the parts, so BMW and 441 are technically right in their stance. While I do think they could do more from a goodwill standpoint, in the end, they owe you nothing.

Quote:
Thus, I have a mismatched bike, which no one wants to accept responsibility for. This is just not the right way to treat your customers.
Who's customer? You're definitely not 441's customer, and I go so far as to say you're not even BMW's customer. You are the original owner's customer. But since you accepted the used bike "as is", that responsibility now falls on YOUR shoulders.

post #7 of 20 Old Jul 7th, 2008, 9:01 am
Lifetime Supporter

$65 to match a BMW color for a R.H. mirror at a local auto body shop

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #8 of 20 Old Jul 7th, 2008, 10:18 am Thread Starter

thanks guys for the input. yes, i believe the dealer should do something about the fit of the lid, yet they contacted their rep and they say theres nothing can be done about it. especially since the one shop ordered the wrong parts, then if they try to push to order again, then they will only send me the same color coded part, since thats what was ordered originally under warranty. go figure. i just thought if if doesn't fit correctly, then they should make things right. thats the basis of my point. i certainly appreciate all the responses. you guys are a great bunch. keep on keepin' on!

'83 R65 - PAST
'87 K100LT - PAST
'05 K1200LT- PAST
'06 K1200LT- PRESENT
post #9 of 20 Old Jul 7th, 2008, 10:38 am

http://www.emergencyfans.com/sounds/2freakout.mp3

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #10 of 20 Old Jul 7th, 2008, 4:43 pm

If the only difference in the parts is the color, there is a way to get them to line up correctly.

My experience working with the tupperware is to get all of the screws started in place, and then go around tightening them.

For some reason, I seem to remember having to do the panel with the flap over the gas cap a couple of times?

It seems as if what you are running in to is that dealerships are independent business; BMW can do little to run the dealer's customer service.

My first encounter with BMW North America was over the prospect of having to wait more than a year for them to get me a computer chip to replace faulty one in all of the 99 and 00 LTs they made.

Members of this site figured out how to get the engine to run without the hesitation and how to fix the speedo so that it accurately reflected the speed you are traveling.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #11 of 20 Old Jul 12th, 2008, 1:40 pm Thread Starter

I did receive a call from a guy at the legal department of bmw, after i had sent them a letter. he understood my postion and convinced the 441 cycle shop to accept my intercom lid for replacement, under warranty or if i prefer to have a local dealer do it, it's my choice. it is now being replace, locally. so, i guess someone out there does have a heart and listens. or maybe afraid of further litigation, unsure. but nontheless, at least one part is being replaced, properly, at no additional cost to me. yahoo!!!

'83 R65 - PAST
'87 K100LT - PAST
'05 K1200LT- PAST
'06 K1200LT- PRESENT
post #12 of 20 Old Jul 12th, 2008, 3:57 pm

Your lucky. As stated earlier you purchased the bike "As-Is". Chalk this up to Great Customer Service from BMW since they owe you nothing.

2006 Triumph Tiger
2007 Kawaski 500 LTD
2009 BMW K 1200 LT

Alaska - The best kept secret in the entire U S of A!

I do not have a problem with God, it's his fan clubs that I do not agree with.
post #13 of 20 Old Jul 12th, 2008, 5:37 pm

Like I pointed out earlier, BMW helping you out was a gracious choice. Had zip to do with your "position". No disrespect intended, but you had no "legal" position to stand on either.

It is simply good customer service (Above & Beyond) from BMW. One of the key features I've grown accustomed from the BMW dealer I purchased my LT from as well.

post #14 of 20 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 1:11 am Thread Starter

i disagree with using the terms great customer service by bmw. because, i got nowwhere with the customer service guys, and the case was actually Closed, Closed, is what i was told by bmw customer service and there was nothing they would do to help. So, i felt compelled to write to request the legal department to find out who is in charge of the legal isssues in this area to take to court, did i finally get someone to grant part of my warranty issue. unsure why the local bmw rep refused to do anything, especially since the dealer agreed the parts didin't fit right. so, it really Was NOT the customer service dept that helped. It was due to my dilligence and only one indivual with the legal dept. Thats it! So, I've not experienced anywhere near good customer service, personally. Hooray for those fortuate.

'83 R65 - PAST
'87 K100LT - PAST
'05 K1200LT- PAST
'06 K1200LT- PRESENT
post #15 of 20 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 2:01 am

Personally, I'd still call it customer service. Doesn't matter what department you went to to get it, it stills falls under that term to me. I'd actually say what you ran in to was the legal department did a quick cost analysis to fight your claim (even in small claims court) and decided it was less expensive and better "customer service" to fix the lid.

If it had of been me I'd have told you tough luck. But that would be a personal, not business, decision as you honestly didn't have a legal leg to stand on as you bought the motorycle "as is" from a private party.

In any case, you should consider yourself lucky you got a partial resolution. I seriously doubt you'd have been so lucky elsewhere (although you never know).

post #16 of 20 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 6:29 am

There is a reason we buy the top of the line Motorcycle(s) (or anything for that matter) and it is for a quality product with similar service ( and yes this includes the warranty). If BMW selects less than quality Dealers it does reflect on them--and this is not a smart thing to do.

If I suspect any legal mumbo jumbo from BMW then I get even the good ole American way....I won't deal with them.

The price BMW charges should include some sort of hassle free warranty-even when bought from a third party, but still in the warranty period. I say this because if they did not, then all of us would be hesitant to buy a used BMW. If its that good of a product, why all the problems?

My company does computer work and when we have a warranty issue with a customer, I mandate immediate repair-no questions asked. We have grown every month in business. We price our service and parts in such a fashion that warranty costs are included. My customer gets what they pay for--Hassle free excellence.

Before I bought the BMW, I bought a GoldWing simply because their factory warranty was 3 years, unlimited mileage and BMW was 3 yr 36K mi--the warranty sold me on the GW. If BMW is so good--why the minimal warranty? Are they telling us something?

As an engineer, it is an insult to hear that my product did not live up to expectations...I mandate the repair at no costs to the consumer. When a product is built, this is the time to test, use the best people, and parts.
Nonetheless, most corporations put emphasis on useless bean counters and attorneys----then they wonder why their market share goes to He.. in a handbasket. What happened to pride in workmanship and product?
post #17 of 20 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 6:53 am

Bluebeemer: you imply that BMW builds an inferior bike. I suspect you're falling prey to a combination of two problems: some specific difficulty with your own bike, and the Internet's inherent magnification of problems. No body takes the time to write that they rode today and everything worked fine, but we will post every time we ride and something goes wrong. That's simply human nature but it creates an echo chamber effect in which people see the specific problem they're having as a larger issue.

There are great dealers and there are less than great dealers, and it doesn't matter which brand they sell. While it's fine that in your business you have a no questions asked warranty repair policy, there are other very successful companies that have been around a while-Honda and BMW, for example- that do not. And even in your situation, it's likely that you'll eventually be faced with the decision of whether or not something IS a warranty issue for you, even if you're not faced with a second hand buyer of a system wanting something other than the original owner thought was fine. Nothing is quite so simple as "the customer is always right, no matter what."
post #18 of 20 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 7:33 am

First of all, I just bought a new 08 K1200LT in March of this year. GoldWing was good but BMW is better!!! Nonetheless BMW is seriously lacking in the salesmanship department. I had to basically sell myself on the BMW. Their website does not list many of the bike's impressive features..it was only after going to the dealer and prying information out of the sales staff did I find out about the truly impressive features of the bike.

Furthermore, warranty is without a doubt expensive. Nonetheless so is advertising and legal costs---yet they contribute zero to the product and/or service line. I always look at warranty issues as a way to improve the product and seal our commitment to the customer. We definitely have questionable warranty calls. We decided a long time ago that being penny wise and dollar foolish was for our competition--not us.

Our customers keep coming back because they know we are a no BS engineering outfit. We are expensive, and those that use us-continue to use us.

Warranty is a place where any competent executive can sell there product/service. The customer does not have their sales shield in full force.

post #19 of 20 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 8:39 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

SO if the bike was out of warranty, what would you have done?

I have to say I think somehow approach came into play here. What was your attitude?

You bought the bike then found an issue. How it transpired from there only you know for sure.

I suspect if you took it to the dealer in your area and said "hey what do you guys think of this fitments and color match?" it would have went a lot smoother.

Mom always said " it is not what you say, but how you say it".

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #20 of 20 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 9:00 am

Sounds like you had a lousy dealer, Blue. Were I you, I would seek a better one. But again, that's not a universal experience. Salesmen with no product knowledge and little enthusiasm for their product are hardly the BMW norm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in