Any mounting ideas for Autocom/Gerbings leads? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Dec 27th, 2005, 10:19 pm Thread Starter

Any mounting ideas for Autocom/Gerbings leads?

I like things to be as neat and tidy as possible and now that I have my Gerbings wired into the battery, I have my Autocom lead and now the Gerbings wire coming out by the left side lift handle. I have been trying to figure out a place and a way to mount them into the body panels, so I can just plug in the leads coming from from clothes and Autocom.

I can see problems from the rain if they are not protected in some way. Also, I am unsure without being able to take the leads apart, how I would secure them in their mounting holes. I have a few ideas, but I know somebody on this board probably has done this, and has a better way of doing it then I can think of.

Would love to get some ideas and photos if possible.

Thanks in advance, Gene Sweeney
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Dec 27th, 2005, 11:00 pm

Yeah, I feel the same way about leads dangling from under the seat. I've hesitated to replace my comm system with one of the better after market units because of it. There was a post a while back about modifying a panel mount Din connector to accept the desired connector body. Don't remember if a factory or after market panel mount was used. Given that I have a tech back ground I would try to use the original BMW connectors and modify or splice the wiring as needed. Not sure where I'd hide the all the input connectors, still pondering that one.
post #3 of 14 Old Dec 28th, 2005, 1:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjordans2000
There was a post a while back about modifying a panel mount Din connector to accept the desired connector body.
Vernon's idea is in the HoW (f.5).

post #4 of 14 Old Dec 28th, 2005, 10:01 am Thread Starter

Vernon's installation was beautiful, however I want to mount below the seat are where the leads are now, so I can take his idea and possibly adapt the location. This may solve the Autocom issue, but still trying to come up with one for the Gerbings.

Still hunting for ideas!

Gene
post #5 of 14 Old Dec 28th, 2005, 10:40 am

My Gerbings lead comes out from the front edge of the seat - works perfect for me. When not using, it gets tucked under the seat. Same with the Autocom lead - when the bike is sitting, it lays unnoticed along side the seat. W's leads come up between the seats (which is where she wanted them) - again, when not used, they are tucked away (have to raise the seat to change the rear shock loading anyway

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #6 of 14 Old Dec 29th, 2005, 2:15 am

Gene - each set of my Widder gear has a BMW plug, which I just plug it into the bike's auxiliary power socket. I upgraded the two sockets on the front left side of the top case with heavier gauge wire, as the stock wire is only good for 5A IIRC (60W).
post #7 of 14 Old Dec 29th, 2005, 8:06 am

Wink

Gene,

I have what I consider a permanent set-up for my Gerbing equipment. I've used this for about two years (Seattle never really gets that warm). I'll post some pics this evening.
post #8 of 14 Old Dec 30th, 2005, 8:49 pm

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsweeney
Vernon's installation was beautiful, however I want to mount below the seat are where the leads are now, so I can take his idea and possibly adapt the location. This may solve the Autocom issue, but still trying to come up with one for the Gerbings.

Still hunting for ideas!

Gene
Here are some pictures of my Gerbing installation. Wouldn't be easy to steal without ruining the heatroller harness. If I want to hide during the summer, I just lift the seat and stick the Heatroller on the inside of the left upper fairing (velcro - 8th wonder of the world). The controller is just under my left thigh for easy access.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gerbing_135-3584_IMG.gif
Views:	139
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	1352   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gerbing_135-3586_IMG.gif
Views:	148
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	1353   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gerbing_135-3587_IMG.gif
Views:	162
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	1354   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gerbing_135-3590_IMG.gif
Views:	159
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	1355   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gerbing_135-3588_IMG.gif
Views:	150
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	1356  

post #9 of 14 Old Dec 30th, 2005, 10:07 pm Thread Starter

Very nice Joe! I approached mine a little different and should have it finished this weekend once I get the "box" painted. Will post pictures as well after done.

Gene Sweeney
post #10 of 14 Old Dec 30th, 2005, 10:27 pm

Cable tie

How about this.. in white or black http://cableorganizer.com/adhesive-cord-clip/

Put where you want it, cheap, easy to get off if you want to install new one in different location.

others:
http://cableorganizer.com/cable-clips/

http://cableorganizer.com/wire-clips/

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 14 Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 11:55 pm

My .02 worth. I have the dual controller in the leather dual controller case clipped to the handle of my chicane tank bag. The power wire runs under the front of the seat and connects to the Gerbings specific power lead which connects to my auxillary fuse block. The business end of the power controller is then shortened with zip ties and I connect these power leads to my pants and jacket liner with the Gerbings coiled cords. In this way I can plug in while standing and mount the bike, the wires are managed because they are coiled and in the spring I can unclip my controller and stow it in a box somewhere. The knobs are conveniently located next to my left thigh and are easily adjusted.
Hope this helps.

Adversity builds character.

BMW MOA #: 115771
My rides: '01 K1200LT Black (of course)
'00 BMW 540i (also black)
'76 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 (not black)
'06 Toyota Landcruiser (black again)
post #12 of 14 Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 5:54 pm Thread Starter

Smile

Well here is step one of my efforts to "clean-up" the Autocom and Gerbing leads hanging from under the seat. Step two will now be the controller for the Gerbing!

Gene
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4723.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	329.2 KB
ID:	1410  
post #13 of 14 Old Jan 4th, 2006, 1:54 am

Thumbs up

Looking good. Can't wait to see step two. Please post the pics when your done.
post #14 of 14 Old Jan 10th, 2006, 8:35 pm

Howdy..

I dont really have any comments about the Gerbings - temps where i live only dip to 20 deg C in winter, so no need...

BUT

I do have an Autocomm fitted. By using an extension cable, my rider outlet runs forward from under the rear seat, and emerges through the rubber boot inside the fuel filler cap, under the flap. When not in use, the cable is completely hidden and protected from the weather by the flap. When in use, I uncoil the cable from around the fuel filler, run it out from under the flap and plug in. Keeps the cables in a forward position, away from legs, and does not interfere with the bars in any way.

You will need to take a round file and make a small semi-circular slot (say 4mm diameter) in the filler flap at the trailing edge, so as not to place undue pressure on the cable. Not noticeable at all, and can be replaced if required when you move on to your next LT.

The pillion cable emerges from behind the rear seat, through the gap between the upper and lower cushions. Can be just tucked away when not in use, again out of the weather. I chose the L/H side for this, but not for any particular reason.

Nett result: easy access, no cables in snaggable (new word) positions, out of the weather, nothing to see when bike parked or Autocomm not in use.

I can put together some pix if this proves of interest.

Regards
Chris Paine
Carool NSW Australia

01 K1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in