2000 lt headlamp upgrade - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Jul 5th, 2008, 6:56 pm Thread Starter

2000 lt headlamp upgrade

I just noticed that the low beam is out on my headlamp. I am now riding on the high beam(to remain legal) and two PIAAS mounted on the fairing aside the front forks.

I have spent some time on the WEB looking for an upgrade headlamp but cannot seem to locate one. Anybody got a suggestion for a higher power than stock lamp or know what type lamp it is eg, J, H K?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Jul 5th, 2008, 7:55 pm

Re: 2000 lt headlamp upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by theverns
I just noticed that the low beam is out on my headlamp. I am now riding on the high beam(to remain legal) and two PIAAS mounted on the fairing aside the front forks.

I have spent some time on the WEB looking for an upgrade headlamp but cannot seem to locate one. Anybody got a suggestion for a higher power than stock lamp or know what type lamp it is eg, J, H K?
I have put the CQlight H7 5K in my 02 and it turns night into day.
I have been using it for 2 years now with no problems.

http://www.cqlight.ca

Also search the forums lots of LT GT have upgraded to HIDs

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."
post #3 of 17 Old Jul 5th, 2008, 8:02 pm

HID conversion of the low beam was/is the standard upgrade to improve LT lighting. Lots of info in here. The kits and suppliers have changed since I did my 2000. I am sure it has gotten easier, as in those days we had to modifiy things a bit. Today I'm pretty sure there is a "plug n' play" kit available.
Others will have specifics....

post #4 of 17 Old Jul 5th, 2008, 9:03 pm

I also went with the CQ H7 5k light. Some of the best money spent on the bike!
I now ride with all lights on - all the time, Motolights too, and no one has yet to flash back at me. Very pleased!! Also installed the Autoswitch for the Motolights, another great investment, IMO.
post #5 of 17 Old Jul 8th, 2008, 10:43 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the response-ordered one today!
post #6 of 17 Old Jul 28th, 2008, 12:47 am

I to am looking at the CQ HID headlamp for my 2000 K1200LT but don't know which light kit to look at. Does anyone know the difference between the H7 5000 kit and the 6500 kit? Sounds like most go with the 5000 kit.
Thanks,
John
post #7 of 17 Old Jul 28th, 2008, 6:35 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsp310
I to am looking at the CQ HID headlamp for my 2000 K1200LT but don't know which light kit to look at. Does anyone know the difference between the H7 5000 kit and the 6500 kit? Sounds like most go with the 5000 kit.
Thanks,
John
Go with the 5000 light the 6500 will be to "BLUE"

Stevie Shreeve
post #8 of 17 Old Jul 28th, 2008, 9:47 am

Thanks Steve. And to the rest with help on our rides. The support is what turned me to a BMW. CQ H7 5000 it is!
John Jones
post #9 of 17 Old Jul 30th, 2008, 11:57 pm

I read all the threads for my bike and one of the things that I noticed was the poor lighting for such a vehicle with so many safety features. Well after reading here I decided on the CQ HID H7 5000 light. I ordered it on the 28th in the morning, (under $90.00) and free shipping. I just received it today. THATS ONLY TWO DAYS WITH FREE SHIPPING!!!! WOW! I'll be putting it on tomorrow... Read all the threads and viewed the comments and pictures. It looks complete but minus a good set of instructions. However thats covered here. Still looks well built.
post #10 of 17 Old Jul 31st, 2008, 8:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsp310
I read all the threads for my bike and one of the things that I noticed was the poor lighting for such a vehicle with so many safety features. Well after reading here I decided on the CQ HID H7 5000 light. I ordered it on the 28th in the morning, (under $90.00) and free shipping. I just received it today. THATS ONLY TWO DAYS WITH FREE SHIPPING!!!! WOW! I'll be putting it on tomorrow... Read all the threads and viewed the comments and pictures. It looks complete but minus a good set of instructions. However thats covered here. Still looks well built.
Let us know how the mounting went
post #11 of 17 Old Aug 1st, 2008, 3:47 pm

I'm in the same boat with my 2002 1200LT. Is this the lamp you guys are referring to:

http://www.cqlight.ca/product_info.p...products_id=69
H7 5000K Motorcycle HID Kit
This product was added to our catalog on Saturday 15 October, 2005.
Item #: 69
Price: $89.99
post #12 of 17 Old Aug 1st, 2008, 4:03 pm

I think 99-04's take one H7 and one H3 .Installed ballast box behind black tupperware liners ,just in front of radiators .with a dab of silicone seal to hold it in place.Went with 5000K as it looked the whitest .

Bob G
99LT
post #13 of 17 Old Aug 1st, 2008, 8:46 pm
Human Behaviour Analyst

Upgrade to Xenon HID ... soon

That's the light Ernesto. I did both the H7 Low Beam and the H3 High Beam. Incredible ..... did I mention they are amazing .......

Do the HID upgrade -- it is the best money I have EVER spent on an upgrade or farkle bar none ! Improves not only how well you see but also improves how well cagers see us coming. As we all know -- they continue to turn left in front of bikes with GREAT regularity.

I chose the Xenon that burns at 6500 and I think my high beam is even slightly bluer. I like the way it makes your headlights stand out from all the others (easier for cars to see it ... )

Just did my son's 07 Kawasaki Ninja this week. Amazing change.

Keir
post #14 of 17 Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 6:36 am

I believe Fashtek is still offering the 4300k bulb for $75 to us. Check out this thread http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22443 post #18.

The 4300k bulb is closer to white light. I did my low beam over a year ago and Am very happy and the price was right.

Pat Rourke
White Lake,MI.
2002 K1200 LTC, Champange

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 17 Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 8:42 am

Garage

I went with the HID two years ago and regretted not doing the upgarde earlier. With what ever kit you purchase, be sure to use Messy13's picture perfect directions.

They can be found here.

I printed them out and had no problems with my install and their is no way I could be mistaken for a mechanic!

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #16 of 17 Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 2:23 pm

Thanks a lot to all who provided valuable information on the light. Definitely appreciate it and am looking forward to ordering/installing the light and reaping the benefits. Ernie
post #17 of 17 Old Aug 4th, 2008, 6:47 pm

Hi Folks,

I bought the CQ H7 5000K light last week and did the change over on Thursday. Should only take an hour once you find your 1" drill bit. On the back of the dust cover, there is a 1" circle that makes a perfect template for where to drill. Also the CQ comes with a clear plastic cover over the bulb that you should take off before you begin to assemble. (Wish I did). That way you don't have to take everything apart again. In one thread I saw where someone cut slits into the grommet to pass the spade connectors through but I found that the connectors will just push through once you poke a hole in it. It also seals better after I pushed them through.

I wiped the bulb off with alcohol and turned it on before inserting it into the lens housing. Such a nice WHITE light that it was hard to look away and took some time to get my vision back. It was like seeing someone stick weld. When you look through the lens to put the bulb in, line it up so the power wire alongside the bulb in on the bottom, the 6 o'clock position.

Took it out for a ride and WOW. Talk about a difference. I live in WI and our most dangerous time to ride is dusk when the deer are out. 100+ riders were killed last year alone. This make a significant difference and lights up the sides like nothing else. Will be looking at replacing the high beam soon. Total cost under $90.00.

BTW I have to ride a H-D for work and worked quite a few nights. Wished they would put these HID lights in rather than the candles most still seem to use.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in