Valve Adjustment screw up - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jul 5th, 2008, 4:14 pm Thread Starter

Valve Adjustment screw up

Oh boy, I hope there is a good answer to this predicament I'm in. While removing the cam sprockets I realize that the cam chain tensioner is not released. So I go ahead and replace the one tappet bucket that I need and now i can't get the cam chain tensioner to go down in order to replace the sprockets. I can get it to go down slightly, but not near enough to place both sprockets on their cam ends. Anyone else ever have this problem? I really don't want to pull the timing cover if not necessary. Any and all advise is appreciated. Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jul 5th, 2008, 4:40 pm

Re: Valve Adjustment screw up

Try pushing it down, then wait a good 15 seconds or so and push some more.
post #3 of 11 Old Jul 5th, 2008, 4:56 pm

What morley said...AND, be patient....it can be done, no problem, just take your time when doing it and double check the alignment marks upon reassembly. It'll just take more time and patience.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #4 of 11 Old Jul 5th, 2008, 5:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumber101
Oh boy, I hope there is a good answer to this predicament I'm in. While removing the cam sprockets I realize that the cam chain tensioner is not released. So I go ahead and replace the one tappet bucket that I need and now i can't get the cam chain tensioner to go down in order to replace the sprockets. I can get it to go down slightly, but not near enough to place both sprockets on their cam ends. Anyone else ever have this problem? I really don't want to pull the timing cover if not necessary. Any and all advise is appreciated. Steve
As others have said, patience. The piston will not go down fast, as there is only a very small hole to allow oil to escape when you push down on the tensioner. You have to force the oil out through that small hole, so it takes a little time holding pressure on it to allow the piston to be pushed back into the cylinder. I CANNOT be done fast.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 11 Old Jul 5th, 2008, 8:13 pm Thread Starter

Well, after two hours of constant pressure, it has not budged. Is it possible that the piston in the tensioner has come out of its bore? I have a floor jack holding the end of my large screwdriver so my arms don't look like a lobster. Took a nap thinking I'd come downstairs and find that I needed to adjust the pressure on the driver. No go. Any thoughts? Steve
post #6 of 11 Old Jul 5th, 2008, 8:54 pm

Hope it didn't come apart on you. Is it maybe all the way down now? Can you insert the 1/8" drill bit/ pin?
post #7 of 11 Old Jul 5th, 2008, 8:56 pm Thread Starter

I think it has come all the way off. I can lift it easily and it will not go down. Steve
post #8 of 11 Old Jul 5th, 2008, 9:01 pm

Cool Re: Valve Adjustment screw up

Steve, you say here that you can't get both of the sprockets on both cams. Does this mean that you are able to get one sprocket on one of them? If so, you may be able to carefully take the open end wrench to that cam which has the sprocket attached (and aligned with the pin in it's slot?) and apply some torque to the cam in the direction which would give you some slack between the cam sprockets. You may be able to get the other sprocket on then. Just a possibility.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumber101

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 11 Old Jul 5th, 2008, 10:28 pm Thread Starter

I'm concerned that if the piston has come out of the tensioner, it may not be in place to go back in. Yes, I can get one sprocket on, but he other is about an inch away from alignment. I'm hoping someone can tell me if the piston can come out, and if so, is the only answer to pull the timing cover??

Steve
post #10 of 11 Old Jul 5th, 2008, 11:38 pm

From what I'm reading in the shop manual, it shouldn't be able to "come apart". It is all held together with "E" clips and the slide on type metal retainers. Check your chain and make sure it isn't hung up on something or "kinked" (one link doubled over another).
post #11 of 11 Old Jul 6th, 2008, 11:10 am Thread Starter

That's potential good news. I decided to give it a rest and go back through each step. In the event that I simply can not get the chain loose enough i will simply invest another day into the front timing cover. i was planning on changing the coolant anyway.

I really love the feeling of accomplishment when you get this beast back together and it starts right up. As has been said in many posts "once you do it for the first time and make your mistakes...".

Thanks for the replies!

Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in