Rear Pads - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jul 5th, 2008, 11:53 am Thread Starter

Rear Pads

I have an '03 LT with 34,000 miles. I purchased it used in November, '07 and I assume that the rear brake pads are original? I need to know what the "expected" life span of rear pads might be under "normal" riding conditions?
I removed the pads and they measure .216 on the inside one and .211 on the outside. I understand that they are considered OK until they mic .08".
I measured the entire pad....is the .08 MINUS the backing?
Help!
Ride Safe.

...don't sweat the small stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jul 5th, 2008, 12:06 pm

Re: Rear Pads

I can't really say what the expected lifetime is, but my '03 has 46k on the rear pads and they measure about the same as yours. I replaced the front pads at 24k because one of the pads was worn down to the backing plate, probably because the caliper stuck.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Jul 5th, 2008, 1:09 pm Thread Starter

I measured the backing and got a .116" thickness. I think this is close. I am using an old Starret caliper. That tells me that my pad material is around .100" thick. I have ordered replacement pads and will install them when they arrive. I do not want to wear them down to metal on metal.

...don't sweat the small stuff.

post #4 of 7 Old Jul 5th, 2008, 2:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit
I measured the backing and got a .116" thickness. I think this is close. I am using an old Starret caliper. That tells me that my pad material is around .100" thick. I have ordered replacement pads and will install them when they arrive. I do not want to wear them down to metal on metal.
You will know right away if you need replacing the pads once you get your new ones in and can compare with the old ones.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old Jul 5th, 2008, 3:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit
I have an '03 LT with 34,000 miles. I purchased it used in November, '07 and I assume that the rear brake pads are original? I need to know what the "expected" life span of rear pads might be under "normal" riding conditions?
I removed the pads and they measure .216 on the inside one and .211 on the outside. I understand that they are considered OK until they mic .08".
I measured the entire pad....is the .08 MINUS the backing?
Help!
Ride Safe.
I too bought my 03 LTC in December of 2005 with the OEM breaks pads still intact at 13500 miles. Now in July I have 24k on her.
I made the switch to EBC because I was trying to eliminate the rear break noise only to find that the pads have little to do with this.
The actual problem is with the rear rotor itself. There is a thread that will tell you bad rotor from the good rotor. There is also a BMW service bulletin on this as well.

2003 Black
K1200LTC

Garmin 450
XM Radio
Video Camera Mount
Fender Mount Driving Lights
Autocom Super Pro AVi
Saddlebag LED Lights

Bakup Backrest
Grip Puppies
VStream Windscreen
Muth Mirrors
2008 Bushtec

post #6 of 7 Old Jul 5th, 2008, 3:27 pm

Just replaced my rear pads at 41,000 miles. They were worn but not shot. The shop said they were OK for right now but would probably not last until the next service.

1999 K1200LT
2008 R1200GSA
2008 KLR650
1970 Honda 350CL (gone but not forgotten)
post #7 of 7 Old Oct 31st, 2008, 9:31 am

Garage

My '07 LT got 25k off the first set of rear pads. I just discovered last night that I'm down to the metal on the 2nd set at just 33k miles. I can't explain why I only got 8k off of these. No changes in riding style, etc., but I did have the rotor replaced per the Service Bulletin earlier this year to eliminate the brake squeal.

Alan
Garden Grove, CA

'07 K1200LT Biaritz Blue (97k miles)
'08 K1200LT Biaritz Blue (76k miles and climbing)

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well - that comes from poor judgment." -A.A. Milne

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in