Cross Country Ride Route Suggestions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jul 5th, 2008, 11:32 am Thread Starter

Cross Country Ride Route Suggestions

I have to be in Tampa, FL for 4-6 months leaving next week. The thought of being without my loved one (K12LT ) for that long makes me very sad being that we have a new relationship.
I would be leaving from Corvallis, OR and riding to Tampa, FL and planning on 7 days.
The thought of doing this trip on the stock seat makes me nervous so I was thinking of including a ride-in stop at Rick Mayer's shop in Anderson, CA (if they can squeeze me in for an emergency seat.
Radar detector and Sirius radio were installed yesterday and I need to get some more comfortable undergarments to wear under my suit.
Being that I'm a long distance riding virgin, I would appreciate any thoughts/suggestions everyone might have.
Thanks!!

Rich

2016 K1600GTLe
2008 K1200LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jul 5th, 2008, 12:15 pm

Re: Cross Country Ride Route Suggestions

I did a four corner last August, 12,025 miles in 28 days. Still have original seat on my 05. I doubled up with the Alaskan Leather (mine and SO's) and the beaded seat. That was all i used. Did a couple 900 mi days and several 700 mi with SO. She didn't even ask for the skin back. Hydration very important.
I used a Camelback 100 oz. and during the southeast section I filled it several times a day and still got into trouble.

Enjoy your ride there are sure a lot of beautiful areas to see

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #3 of 6 Old Jul 5th, 2008, 2:34 pm

Talking Re: Cross Country Ride Route Suggestions

Just got back from my Tampa ride to visit my son. I live in Las Vegas which is about a couple of days shorter ride than from where you're starting from..

It's hot and humid so make sure you stay hydrated during your ride..suggest stopping at least every 50-75 miles when you're in the southeast for some fluid replenishment. I drank Gatorade and alternated with bottled water during the stops..I also ride with all my gear on(ATTGATT) which makes hydration real important to me.

Also keep your rain gear handy for easy access as TsStorms are usually present..You can see them as your motoring along so a quick pullover to don the rain gear and you're on your way. The rain can get quite heavy so I'd recommend finding a safe spot to pullover(well clear of roadway) to wait it out. The standing water will increase risk of hydroplaning(which I emcountered a couple of times- makes for exciting times!!)

Fuses: make sure you have the correct ones..I fortunately did that and it saved my butt a couple of times..lost my fuel pump and also cruise control..both fuses somehow burned out..afer replacing them no problems since..

I traveled mostly early in the morning(just before sunrise) and found myself a motel before the max heat of the day(around 2-3 PM)..Worked for me to keep me from getting maxed out on the trip. Took me six days to get to Tampa..had a couple of 500 mile days where I got up real early to get some cool riding in before the temps rose..

Sorry if post is a little wordy but got carried away as I thought back on what I went through..Hope it helps..Ride safe..

2005 K1200LT Graphite
BMWMOA
Nevada Patriot Guard Rider

post #4 of 6 Old Jul 5th, 2008, 7:26 pm

For what it's worth, I think your stock seat will last you till you get to Tampa. I would bypass Rick Meyers and stop at Corbins once your in FL. I have a RM seat in my garage. It was comfortable for the first 40K then it went flat just as bad as the stock seat did after 40k. The Corbin has been under my butt for the past 60K and is still the best. I use beads in the summer to get a little ventilation, and take them off when it's time to turn on the heat. I can easily do a 1000 mile day with only gas and drink stops from PA to FL.

Gene VanEssendelft
01 1200 Lt Blue Knight
98 1200 Rc Ivory **SOLD**
00 1150 GS Silver
CMA,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, AMA,MOA,RA,BK,ADV,IBMR
START AT THE BEGINNING - WHEN YOU GET TO THE END STOP!
post #5 of 6 Old Jul 6th, 2008, 4:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by va899
I would bypass Rick Meyers and stop at Corbins once your in FL. I have a RM seat in my garage. It was comfortable for the first 40K then it went flat just as bad as the stock seat did after 40k.
That's pretty much sums up what happened to my $750 RM seat
although to be fair even at it's worst it was much better than the stock seat.

Quote:
I traveled mostly early in the morning(just before sunrise) and found myself a motel before the max heat of the day(around 2-3 PM)..Worked for me to keep me from getting maxed out on the trip. Took me six days to get to Tampa..had a couple of 500 mile days where I got up real early to get some cool riding in before the temps rose..
I'll second that, 4-5am until 2-3pm is how I do summer rides.

The only part I don't completely agree with is the rain advice, yes the bottom will fall out of the sky occasionally in the south but it's usually over in 30 minutes,
take a break, find a place to hang out, eat, drink, rest
you'll probably get there about the same time as if you'd pushed on.
Oh and if you do get wet, you'll be hot and dry 10 minutes down the road.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #6 of 6 Old Jul 6th, 2008, 9:26 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Cross Country Ride Route Suggestions

Excellent advise so far... thanks all...

Rich

2016 K1600GTLe
2008 K1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in