Alternative to the center stand. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Dec 27th, 2005, 9:59 pm Thread Starter

Alternative to the center stand.

Being a newby I managed to drop the beast twice in 20 min. in the garage so I made up a pair stands, They slide into the 7/8 hole in the frame just behind and above the foot pegs. I'll try to get the pictures loaded.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	112-1226_IMG.JPG
Views:	319
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	1335   Click image for larger version

Name:	112-1228_IMG.JPG
Views:	332
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	1336   Click image for larger version

Name:	112-1229_IMG.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	1337  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Dec 27th, 2005, 10:02 pm Thread Starter

Stands

Would appreciate any interest or comments regarding bike stands.
post #3 of 12 Old Dec 27th, 2005, 10:31 pm

What's wrong with the centerstand?

post #4 of 12 Old Dec 27th, 2005, 10:45 pm

Clever design. Just the ticket for those little earthquakes we get out here and would be wonderful for ferry rides. They look a little involved for daily use though. I take it your drop experience involved getting her up on the center stand. It's not all that hard to do once you get the hang of it. Be happy to show you the tricks involved. We can meet up for a ride and center stand demo. PM me if you're interested.

Michael
post #5 of 12 Old Dec 27th, 2005, 11:40 pm Thread Starter

stands

Hi, No I wasn't trying to put it up, I was just moving it around in the garage and it just disided to pin me to my wifes car, twice, I have a couple of pins in my lower back so no more pulling or lifting. Now I back into the garage,put it on the side stand, Put the right side stand in then lean her over and put the left side in. Living in Sylmar CA. you never know when the next EQ is coming.
post #6 of 12 Old Dec 28th, 2005, 7:59 am

That sounds like a good way to do it. The way your first post read I thought that you were trying to put it on the center stand as well.
post #7 of 12 Old Dec 28th, 2005, 9:07 am

I was looking at your little helpers with interest. Soon I am going to ship the LT from Switzerland to Australia in a container. This could help stabilizing it, don't you think?

99' K12LT champagne
80' XJ 650 red
If you don't respect yourself who else will?
post #8 of 12 Old Dec 28th, 2005, 2:08 pm

Thumbs up Wheel Dock

I have found the Wheel Dock is best way to park a motorcycle in your garage. I have a 2005 with the hydraulic center stand but I never use it when just parking the bike in my garage. If you are hauling the bike you also have a safe way of holding it while tieing it down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7260009.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	442.8 KB
ID:	1342  
post #9 of 12 Old Dec 28th, 2005, 2:44 pm

Neat idea! How about a drawing with some dimensions?

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy $hit...what a ride"-Mavis Leyrer
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Stienbeck
08 CanAm Spyder "Fast Truck"(Wifes')
08 Kawasaki KLR 650 "Lil Dirt Truck"
05 K1200Lt "Lt Truck"
05 Piaggio X9 Reveloution "Lil Truck"

97 International 4700 "Big Truck"

AMA Life Member
BMWMOA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 12 Old Dec 28th, 2005, 3:02 pm

Who needs drawings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey
Neat idea! How about a drawing with some dimensions?
Who need drawings, it is sold here.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #11 of 12 Old Dec 29th, 2005, 6:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_E
What's wrong with the centerstand?

Yea! What is wrong with the centre stand.. Both those devices seem to be extreme in design AND cost. Especially the Wheel Dock. The bike is so well balanced that getting it up on a manual centrestand is easy. (excusing any disabilities.) Fair enough, if you haven't got an hydraulic centre stand.......but, if u have, then why not use it. The bike is secured very stable with no weight on the rear tyre and little on the front.
post #12 of 12 Old Dec 29th, 2005, 9:16 am

Thumbs up Wheel Dock

My reason for purchasing the Wheel Dock was if I ever wanted to trailer my bike it is much saver loading and unloading on a trailer to tie it down. One drop loading on a trailer would more than pay for the Wheel Dock. I had no problem putting my 2001 on the center stand, which I did everytime I parked it in my garage. Now I have the 2005 with hydraulic center stand it is easier yet but as long as I have the Wheel Dock it is so simple and fast to just ride in and trip the lever and get off. Backing out just trip the other lever and push back. I would not buy the Wheel Dock just to park my bike but I grant you if you have one you will use it in stead of the center stand.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in