Tire Angel in Jasper BC - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jul 4th, 2008, 8:29 pm Thread Starter

Tire Angel in Jasper BC

I had Great maiden trip with my new to me 02 - LT .. the cruse control ..was so nice (i've wrist problems and a stiff throttle to boot!) (fix parts on their way from Bob's BMW) ... anyhow the weather was awesome .. traffic light .. Shes a heavy Bike when we come to stops .. but on the road she really can dance!!

We stopped about 20 miles west of town for a little leg stretch and drink of water (at moose lake) take a look over the bike .. took some pics and on our way again!

Pulling into Jasper I noticed the bike was starting to act a bit "weird" handling wise .. I pulled over to park and my Girlfriend got off .. right away she said .."Bob you better have a look at the rear tire" .. I looked around and thought I'd better park in the lot beside us ..so I road solo to level pavement!
A woman yelled at me .."sir ..youv'e a flat tire!"

Parked her on her side stand and my I felt sick when i looked at my rear tire .. I was almost on my rim!

we unloaded our gear and it took both of us to lift her on her centre stand.
we checked into our hotel .. and asked the clerk to make some calls and find out how can help us out!

well it was a Sat evening on a long weekend .. some guy called my cell ..Rons towing i think .. it was hard to hear him but after giving him the tire size and make of the bike he gave me a name .. Slim Pickens ... i thought he was serious .. asked how to reach Mr Pickens .. after a sec I clued in .. well I was left to my our avails

So I checked out the tire for nails .. boy was that tire HOT .. wheel too ..and final drive as well .. I was wondering if the low pressure caused the heat .. or failure of the drive ..

I shot in one of my co2 Cartridges and used a soapy rag to find a pretty good leak at the valve stem ..

Just then another BMW road by and I heard the guy yell .. nice bike .. I replyed .. HELP .. he stopped and asked what he could do ..

we both had another look and "Willy" went home to get some tools and a compressor .. when he came back we changed the valve stem .. and put 30 psi in the tire .. found she's not holding air .. leaking from the stem ..where the stem metal and rubber meet .. on the stem .. not on the rim!

we took a break .. willy .. went to make some calls ..to see who can change out a stem (now 10 pm sat long weekend) I went to the pub for a beer and check on the girlfriend!

Willy found me an hr later .. with tools in hand .. we took the tire off ..used some irons the breaK the bead .. pulled the stem out .. went over to NAPA ..his buddy came down opened the store .. and fixed us up with a new stem .. sealed the bead put 43 psi in the tire and we were good to go!

Heading Back to Prince George BC the next day .. I took it pretty easy .. stopped lots .. checking the tire .. no heat from the final drive ... hmmm had to be the low pressure raising the heat ..

Made it home safe and sound .. I thought I shoud change that tire just to be safe .. so i ordered another .. thinking that should the one on it be ok I'll have a spare ..after all it looked OK from the outside.

I helped change the tire and good thing we did .. it was shredding pretty good on the inside .. we're lucky we didn't have a blow-out on the way home!

moral of the story is many fold .. Carry a small electric compressor and good tire repair kit! if the bike starts to handle funny .. pull over check it out!
and other BMW rider can be Angels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jul 5th, 2008, 9:11 am

Re: Tire Angel in Jasper BC

great story, this stuff is always in the back of my mind on trips out of town.

Ron

2008 RT
2002 LT champagne
2003 Shadow
1986 Yamaha 500
1981 Honda Twinstar
post #3 of 9 Old Jul 5th, 2008, 10:16 am

Sounds like you suffered the infamous BMW defective tire stem failure.
Nice that you had the help you received.

Now look at the front tire valve stem. Does it look like the one that went bad on the rear? Change it out!

It is known that there was a bad batch of valve stems installed by BMW on KLTs in the early years.

post #4 of 9 Old Jul 5th, 2008, 10:19 am
Super Moderator

Good post . . .

I too am most nervous about the tires.

Its the one item on the bike I cannot totally control through maintenance.

So I have three items to deal with most situations:

Dan Finazzo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #5 of 9 Old Jul 5th, 2008, 6:02 pm

What is that first item? Compressor? I can't read the brand name.

THanks.

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #6 of 9 Old Jul 5th, 2008, 8:14 pm

Ditto on your moral of the story Bob.

I have always carred a small 12 volt aircompressor from Auto Zone for 19.99(I have added a auto type adapter under my seat, which I also use for the XM radio power or you can get a BMW adapter for the aux plugs) and two patch kits. I even carry a package of valve stem replacments and a valve removal tool (Yes I have had them leak before too).

This happened on July 1st and made it home after removal. Made me sick tire only had about 1 k on it, but once this happend it was not to be trusted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img005.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	18633   Click image for larger version

Name:	img006.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	18634   Click image for larger version

Name:	img008.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	18635  

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."

Last edited by rkirker; Jul 5th, 2008 at 8:19 pm.
post #7 of 9 Old Jul 5th, 2008, 8:30 pm

Great story-
Shes fun isnt she tho?

I have another question posed from the pics- wth-whut thuh heck- is a smart tire system? Looks neat!

techy is good.
post #8 of 9 Old Jul 6th, 2008, 5:52 am

Since you didn't google it yourself. SmarTire

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #9 of 9 Old Jul 6th, 2008, 7:48 am
Super Moderator

To answer a few questions:

Glenn,
You are correct the first pictures is an air compressor
After further review is has no visible manufacturers name
The good thing that Adventure did was to bundle it up with a metal guard, a switch and some shrink tubing - very compact, portable and safe!!
Please note that the repair cord they include I pitched - not recommended for repairs per Bridgestone Tech Seminar in the past two CCRs.

http://www.advdesigns.net/mitipukitwit.html

Michael,
The Smartire system provides you with real time tire pressure and temperature. Also while running down the road if you experience
deflation the system is designed to warn you when pressure changes by more than 10%. These have been discontinued by the manufacture
but they can still be bought on eBay for about $93 plus freight.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SMART...spagenameZWDVW

I just installed the system before going to the BMWRA Rally in Houghton, MI - 2500 miles in total.
I am very satisfied with the system at this point. A few quirks but other than that very comforting to know your pressures and temperatures.

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"

Last edited by dfinazzo; Jul 6th, 2008 at 8:41 am. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in