Anyone an AUTOCOM expert? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 8:24 pm Thread Starter

Anyone an AUTOCOM expert?

I have my bike all over the garage for service and decided to buy an AUTOCOM system. I need a mentor...

Mike Gregg
2012 K1600GTL (Oooh La La)
25K and building Fast
99 K1200LT (SOLD)
135,000 and she treated me right.

"Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 8:33 pm

Re: Anyone an AUTOCOM expert?

I have a Super Pro AVI. It's a decent system, but I do have a couple of issues with it. I just posted this recently in another thread that asked about Autocom. Try a quick search.

If you have specific questions, I'm sure someone can help. If you're just looking for a Mentor, I nominate Grif. I dont' know if he has an autocom, but he's full of useful information.

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
post #3 of 11 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 8:58 pm

When I purchased my '99 LT a few years back, I had little experience installing accessories, but I was able to install an Autocom system by following the step by step directions found here: http://www.angelfire.com/ar2/jfbeard...om/autocom.htm

I had to purchase a soldering iron to do the job. That gives you an idea of my skill level, but it worked out just fine.

The unit I installed is now discontinued but the equivalent is still available.

post #4 of 11 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 9:01 pm

When i did a large makeover of the bike I installed my Autocom just above the radio. Most people put them under the seat.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #5 of 11 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 9:22 pm

Very nice. What happens when you want to get that CD out?

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #6 of 11 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:27 pm

The cords are really not in the way just looks like that, CD comes right out.

14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #7 of 11 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:12 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatson
When i did a large makeover of the bike I installed my Autocom just above the radio. Most people put them under the seat.
Where did you bring out the Headset cord? And did you have to cut a big hole to get it out of the glove box?

Mike

Mike Gregg
25K and building Fast
99 K1200LT (SOLD)

"Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known."

post #8 of 11 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:33 pm Thread Starter

In my job I cover half of the USA. I am blessed with an employer that allows me to take my bike. The main thing that has crippled me is not being able to take calls when I am trying to make time.

What are peoples experience with cell phones and the AUTOCOM?

Is the noise canceling acceptable to take business calls?

Mainly for the person on the other end?

Mike Gregg
25K and building Fast
99 K1200LT (SOLD)

post #9 of 11 Old Jul 4th, 2008, 3:49 am

Mike

Mic placement with the autocom is very important - making sure it is correct makes everything else much easier. If you are mainly travelling 1 up you can set the vox trigger quite high as the phone will probably plug in to the grey connector and when the phone rings the mic goes live anyway.

Using the phone tends to work fairly well but there are many variables that affect the other persons experience - speed, helmet design/noise, screen position etc etc The big advantage is that once in a call you could decide to pull over or slow down and you can continue the call without the gloves off, helmet off, find phone then reverse procedure, routine.

I have found that you do need to invest a bit of time in any intercom system to get it to work how you want and foind the correct balance between sensitivity, mic placement, speaker placement etc. Mounting it above the CD player is a good idea as the usual place is under the rear seat where you cannot get easy access to fine tune it. If you decide on under the seat then I suggest fitting a long power cord and keep it in the oddments box for the first couple of weeks until you find your own balance.

Good luck

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #10 of 11 Old Jul 4th, 2008, 7:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonGregg
In my job I cover half of the USA. I am blessed with an employer that allows me to take my bike. The main thing that has crippled me is not being able to take calls when I am trying to make time.

What are peoples experience with cell phones and the AUTOCOM?

Is the noise canceling acceptable to take business calls?

Mainly for the person on the other end?
I've used mine on several trips and people cant even tell Im on a bike. Set the phone for auto-answer and you get a little beep or something when a call comes in.
Jim

Jim in Dublin, OH

2005 - LT Ocean Blue (Catuffalo - Part Cat / Part Buffalo)
2002 - Moto Guzzi Cal Spec Sport
2000 - Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
post #11 of 11 Old Jul 4th, 2008, 7:18 pm

No cutting any holes, just take the cover plate off above the radio. You do have to take off the stingray to do this but i had the whole bike apart so it was not a big deal. I ran the headset cord back under the seat so it sits just to the side of the front of the seat and when I am not using it it is coiled under the seat. i had a Voice II system before and it never was reliable so they gave me my money back and I got the Autocom and yes it takes awhile to get them set to your liking. I use to just plug my phone in and it sounded like a very good house line, but now if I want to use the phone I will do it when stopped.

14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in