Bunny Hopin Battle Wagon - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 6:09 pm Thread Starter

Bunny Hopin Battle Wagon

Picked up a hitch hiker going 70 MPH on I-277 Bypass near Akron (See pics). The battle Wagon started hopping up an down in every rotation and also hit the inner fender because of the way the bolt was stuck in the tire.

Managed to get her over to the side of the road. Pulled it out and amazingly enough it did not puncture the tire to the point of a leak.

Managed to get her home under 35 on side streets for the last 45 miles home.

Called some dealers (About 12 within 50 miles, not all BMW) all but 2 were out of the Metz me880 160/70VB 17 tire and would not be getting any until after the fourth.

The two that did were Mathias in New Philadelphia, Ohio out the door mounted for 238.00. About 66 miles away on the GPS.

BMW Motorcycles of Cleveland for well over 300.00 280 (no discount and that is where I bought the K1200) for the tire 40 dollars for mount and balance 25 for disposal of old tire and I am sure they would have charged me for the KY jelly too.
Told him I can get it done for 224.00 at Shade Tree in Middelfield, Ohio, But the were out of the Metzes untill the 7th. They said ok but 280 40 25 +Tax is what they charge.

Needless to say Mathias got my $$ and probably will in the future too. Gene also got me in and out in under 30 minutes and they had multiple bikes up on the racks in various states of repair that needed ot be done before the 4th. (Thank You Gene )

Wonder where I will get the next bike from BMWMOC or Mathias
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img005.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	18614   Click image for larger version

Name:	img006.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	18615   Click image for larger version

Name:	img008.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	18616  

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well Itís not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldnít of happened."

Last edited by rkirker; Jul 3rd, 2008 at 8:06 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 6:27 pm

Re: Bunny Hopin Battle Wagon

Boy Rick don't you know it. I was buying two new helmets this year, looking at the HJC modular. BMWMOC wanted $281 ea. no moving. Now understand I have bought a lot of accessories and had a lot of work done there knowing that I was payin more but I live less than a mile away. It was worth the time saved. NO MORE I found the helmets online for $30 bucks less ea. Needless to say I bought online. I have a freind that really tried to buy a new bike there and once again he wouldn't move on the price so my friend bought elsewhere. Then some of these dealers wonder why there's no customer loyalty.

Vince

Live Free and ride
My Rides
1974 Honda CB360T
1982 Suzuki 750G
1980 Honda Gold Wing
1993 Honda Gold Wing
1995 Harley Road King
1999 BMW 1200LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<center>

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 6:28 pm

Nice Bolt. Glad all went well without a tire blowout.

Jeremy
1999 Champagne
Bike #70151

post #4 of 8 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 6:43 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Good to see you made it through that adventure safely.

Also nice to see post up on a good servicing dealer.

Stay safe and stop picking up hitchhikers

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #5 of 8 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 8:25 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincesBMW
Boy Rick don't you know it. I was buying two new helmets this year, looking at the HJC modular. BMWMOC wanted $281 ea. no moving. Now understand I have bought a lot of accessories and had a lot of work done there knowing that I was payin more but I live less than a mile away. It was worth the time saved. NO MORE I found the helmets online for $30 bucks less ea. Needless to say I bought online. I have a freind that really tried to buy a new bike there and once again he wouldn't move on the price so my friend bought elsewhere. Then some of these dealers wonder why there's no customer loyalty.

Vince
Vince:

I can not see how he is going to stay in business. Every time I go in there they find a way to make me regret doing business with them.

1) Bought Motolights from them at an open house (pre paid) took 6 weeks to get in. When they finally came in I went to install them and the relay was missing and the wiring harness was already cut(To short for a K1200LT). Motolights sent me a new kit after I got no response from BMWMOC and I called Motolights directly Moto said they had not sold anything to them in 6 months (Ebay aquired maybe). Motolights stepped up where the dealer should have.

2) Last time I had tires replaced there (Both) cost me about 250 more than anywhere else, but needed it done in a hurry for an upcoming last minute trip. After about 30 mile the front fender bolts fell out only two left when I stoped to checked what the noise was. Also with less then 500 miles on the new tires the front valve steam let lose. I replaced both with metal ones on my own.

Just get turned off every time I go in there. Whish it was better they are less then 5 miles from the home.

Also just had a conversation with someone who used to work there when I was calling arround for tires he said he left because there were some "strange" practices going on there.

It is a shame I think if they did a good job in the customer service area of the buisnesss they could have really gone gang busters.

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well Itís not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldnít of happened."
post #6 of 8 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 9:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkirker

I can not see how he is going to stay in business. Every time I go in there they find a way to make me regret doing business with them.

2) Last time I had tires replaced there (Both) cost me about 250 more than anywhere else, but needed it done in a hurry for an upcoming last minute trip. After about 30 mile the front fender bolts fell out only two left when I stoped to checked what the noise was. Also with less then 500 miles on the new tires the front valve steam let lose. I replaced both with metal ones on my own.

Just get turned off every time I go in there. Whish it was better they are less then 5 miles from the home.

Also just had a conversation with someone who used to work there when I was calling arround for tires he said he left because there were some "strange" practices going on there.

It is a shame I think if they did a good job in the customer service area of the buisnesss they could have really gone gang busters.
I hear you Rich and similar stories from my brother in law for service, sister in law on a purchase. My last set of tires were purchased elsewhere because when I bought my set at Geauga Lake BMW they had a "free mounting and balancing" deal going on. I got the bill and they charged me for taking off the old tires. doh! And ya the valve let loose on me too. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. I'm not going to give them a chance to fool me again. Simple as that.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #7 of 8 Old Jul 4th, 2008, 8:10 am

That chunk of iron looks like it might have come out of someone else's tire. I can't believe it didn't penetrate the tire. And Vince, you gotta come to Texas and fill in that map!!..............

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #8 of 8 Old Jul 4th, 2008, 8:19 am

Rich, what a shame on that tire. It looks like it had plenty of miles left on it.

Vince, I agree with Rattler... you need to take a trip West, through Texas, then shoot for California and head up the coast...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in