Schuberth Helmets Legal in USA & Canada - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 8:27 am Thread Starter
Human Behaviour Analyst

Schuberth Helmets Legal in USA & Canada

I have been looking at the new Schuberth J1 Helmet for the world's best biker chick and I.
I note that they have a European Safety Test rating, reputed to be tougher than a SNELL 2005 rating called an "ECE something".
Wondering if (since they are not DOT Rated) if they are legal to use here in North America?
Thanks,
Keir
PS: Would also love to find someone to buy from here in North America but according to Schuberth Head Office, there are NO dealers in either Canada or the USA .... amazing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 8:48 am

Re: Schuberth Helmets Legal in USA & Canada

Must be DOT approved and have a sticker to be legal in USA.

Doesn't matter what other crash ratings it meets or exceeds, it must pass FMVSS-218 and receive the DOT approval.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #3 of 17 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:58 am

In know in Nebraska that you have to have a DOT rated helmet with the sticker. You can for search helmet laws and get the state by state requirments.

post #4 of 17 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 12:37 pm

you could always go get a DOT sticker and put it on the back, but thats a chance you take if you get stopped. Then again I would think the Police would be more worried about the skull caps some bikers wear than a decent helmet. Another thing to think about, with no dealers in the U.S. that means no parts available if you need to get something replaced. The visor alone is $110 and you have to have it shipped from the U.K. if you can find a motorcycle shop over there that is willing to ship to the States.
DAMHIK
post #5 of 17 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 2:15 pm

If anyone is stuck for getting parts let me know and we can work something out.

Regards

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #6 of 17 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 3:20 pm

Here in "South Kakalaki", helmets are only mandatory for those under age 21. For those folks, the statute requires that they wear an approved helmet on a list maintained by the state agency. I found something on a Google search to the effect that the state had never compiled the list and therefore the statute was invalid. The same site said helmets are dangerous because they cause neck injuries or impair your hearing so that you can't hear your loud pipes, or some such, so I can't vouch for the list issue.

I purchased my Schuberth Concept helmet from a local BMW dealer when they first came out and were all the rage. It has a DOT sticker on the back for whatever that is worth in this discussion. I'm well over 21 so I guess I could wear whatever I want anyway.

I remember walking through a vendor display at a rally in North Carolina. I believe their state law requires use of a DOT-approved helmets. One of the tables had "novelty" helmets of various types for sale. On the edge of the table they had stickers for sale that looked a lot like the sticker on the back of my Concept; black with capital white letters DOT. I think they had a sign on display with some sort of lame disclaimer about the stickers.

Captain Obvious asked the vendor, "So I can buy a helmet and put the D-O-T sticker on it, right?" The vendor replied, "That's NOT a D-O-T sticker. Those stickers say 'dot'."

I like my Concept helmet OK but it cost me almost $100 to replace the visor recently. I found a leftover C-2 for sale at a dealership a while back, but I would not buy another Schuberth if they are not supporting North American customers.
post #7 of 17 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 8:23 pm

I've been riding motorcycles since '69 and have no idea on how many or what kinds of helmets I've had through the years. Some had DOT stickers, some didn't. Been stopped a time or two by the constabulary and have been hassled by them for a number of different things, tires, chain guards, lights (too many or not enough), handle bars too high or too low, no mirrors or mirrors too small, wearing ear plugs, no front fender, loud pipes, going too fast, going too slow (just once), making too much smoke (Kawasaki Mach III), but have never ever had anyone say anything about a helmet being unsafe (a lot of them were) or a DOT sticker on them. Been stopped and search for "contraband" while flying colors and on more than one occasion, I'm sure they would have been happy to lock my young and dumb butt in jail for any infraction they could have found, a missing DOT sticker would probably qualified had they either thought about them or known about them.

Got a Concept helmet and like it a lot. Too darn hot to wear in the summer, just the ticket in cooler weather or rain.

B D R
post #8 of 17 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 8:46 pm
MrB

I was at Atlantic Motoplex in Moncton last week and they had some Schuberth helmets. I was looking at the C2.
post #9 of 17 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 8:59 pm

The one thing I would be concerned about is insurance coverage in case of an accident. If the report is written up that you did not have a DOT approved helmet that would seriously screw up your insurance. This would depend on the officers writing it up and how much investigation they do.

This would only apply to mandatory helmet law states of course. I'm sure there's a lawyer here that could chime in more definitively.

Cheers,

Adam
2006 K1200LT 2001 Kawi KLR650
The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wants YOU!
post #10 of 17 Old Jul 7th, 2008, 10:01 am

Well all I can say is that I own a J1 and absolutely love it.

Even though it doesnt have the almighty sticker I dont worry about it. I think it can be twice as safe as some helmets I have seen with stickers used by some of the more "Aggressive" types if you know what I mean LOL

Later

Steve A
post #11 of 17 Old Jul 7th, 2008, 12:33 pm

I got mine at Foothills BMW in Lakewood Colorado. Been using it for about 7yrs and nobodies mentioned anything about a dot tag on it.
post #12 of 17 Old Jul 7th, 2008, 1:14 pm

Pic of my Concept, the way I bought it here from Derby Cycles.

[IMG][/IMG]

Ride safe, ride smart, you're invisible; NOT invincible.

2016 R1200RTW Bronze

Before:
2009 K1200LT
2006 K1200GT
2004 R1200RT
1987 R80RT
1980 R100RT
post #13 of 17 Old Jul 7th, 2008, 3:06 pm

It looks like you need the silly DOT sticker. I'd try to buy one from the net and just stick it on. We all no Schuberth helmets are some of the best helmets made in the world, don't let our silly bureaucratic government prevent you from buying it.

Schuberth doesn't sell helmets because of liability issues. Too many lawsuits.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/.../page3.html#Q9
post #14 of 17 Old Sep 28th, 2008, 9:35 pm

The problem here is that your helmet is a C1 Ie the Original Concept which I own also.

I replaced it with a New J1 which again is not sold in the US nore is it DOT stickered.

Later Steve A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltdavey
Pic of my Concept, the way I bought it here from Derby Cycles.

[IMG][/IMG]
post #15 of 17 Old Sep 29th, 2008, 8:52 am

I have the C3 flip front. It is so comfy I don't think I'll ever use another manufacturer again.

I particularly like the anti-rolloff strap which sits at the base of my skull and pulls the lid on nice a tight.

Taken from
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc.../ece-22-05.htm

A major benefit for U.S. riders is that the ECE 22.05 standard does not directly conflict with the DOT standard. Limited testing shows that ECE qualified helmets will also meet the demands of FMVSS 218. Of course, not all DOT helmets will meet ECE 22.05 because the European standard does require testing at higher velocities than DOT.

So testing shouldn't be an issue

Perhaps no one in the US has bothered to take on the Schuberth dealership yet?
post #16 of 17 Old Dec 31st, 2008, 11:18 pm

Red face Re: Schuberth Helmets Legal in USA & Canada

If anybody would like to share any spare parts or salvaged is OK, let me know. I have a devil of time finding anything. Particularly, the catch mech from the sides (sorry, it is a sys1). I had worn Bells for several years and some others also but I very recently got this sys1 and have to admit, even though it is well broken in, it is crazy comfy! (kind of noisy but very comfy). I wrote to Schuberth about a month ago and they have not responded, now I know why
post #17 of 17 Old Jan 1st, 2009, 9:02 pm

I know earlier this past year I still saw Schuberth for sale at Chicago BMW. I don't know whether they still sell them but they have carried them for years, might be worth a call for anyone interested.

Peter Tessin
2002 Champagne

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in