Cut Down Windshield? if you have one can you post pics? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:16 am Thread Starter

Cut Down Windshield? if you have one can you post pics?

I posted about this before. but only got responses wondering why I would want to do this.

I am considering cutting down one of my spare windshields to see if it smooths out the helmet buffeting a bit and provides a view OVER the windshield in the full upright position. I have 3 windshields,....so this is a no cost experiment for me versus buying a new shorter windshield for $200 to see if I like it as other riders have suggested.

If you have cut one down, I would like to see a pic of it on the bike if possible.

How much did you cut it down?

Did you follow the original top curve or line of the OE Windshield?

Or, did you try something different? if so,...how did it work?

Brian in Austin.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:51 am

Re: Cut Down Windshield? if you have one can you post pics?

I've seen this done on other bikes and had several "bikini cuts" on other bikes I've owned. Curious if anyone responds having done it to their LT but it makes sense. I have my W/S in the fully down position most of the time anyway. Post with pics if you end up trying it.

'05 LT Goldfinger
post #3 of 19 Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:58 am

Most cut downs that I have read about was from the bottom. They took masking tape and then draw the same cut up 2 inches and then cut it and had to drill new holes.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.

post #4 of 19 Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:19 pm Thread Starter

Thats an interesting solution....to keep the original top edge intact.

Brian

post #5 of 19 Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 1:33 pm

I rode my brother's LT a month ago. He cut his '99s stock tall screen down quite a bit, from the top. It worked really good.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #6 of 19 Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 2:21 pm

I've done a couple of these, and it's very easy. I measure/cut from the top-down. I don't even take the windshield off the bike any more. Mask the area off and use something like a compass as a set of dividers to draw a line parallel to the original top edge, anywheres from 2" to 4", depending on taste. Cut with a saber saw. Use files, and a sanding block to shape/polish the edge until it looks original. I could post a picture, but you'd be hard-pressed to see any difference over a stock shield.

-joel
post #7 of 19 Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 3:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog
I've done a couple of these, and it's very easy. I measure/cut from the top-down. I don't even take the windshield off the bike any more. Mask the area off and use something like a compass as a set of dividers to draw a line parallel to the original top edge, anywheres from 2" to 4", depending on taste. Cut with a saber saw. Use files, and a sanding block to shape/polish the edge until it looks original. I could post a picture, but you'd be hard-pressed to see any difference over a stock shield.

-joel
Then why did you cut it down?

runnin and duckin --

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #8 of 19 Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 4:05 pm

Why I say cut from the bottom is because sometimes, on some windshields all the good stuff is at the top, like the CB #2 shield. I would think some of the bend and other stuff even on the stock shield is more important at the top then at the bottom. But then again the stock shield doesn't really matter, cutting from the top may make it better.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #9 of 19 Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 5:04 pm

I took about an inch off the top of my Cee Bailey's windshield as I couldn't look over it. I emailed their customer service, they advised me to cut from the top down, parallel to the edge. Used a band saw, 25 teeth per inch and progressively finer sandpaper till it looked the same as the original cuts.

I noticed no difference in air flow but am able to see over it now. I lined the bed of my bandsaw with a towel and laid masking tape on the windshield adjacent to the cut so as avoid scratches.

Worked great, I'd email Cee Baileys for the grades of sandpaper to use before starting. Hope this helps. Pictures wouldn't help, it looks the same as original, just an inch shorter, negligible really.

Ron

2008 RT
2002 LT champagne
2003 Shadow
1986 Yamaha 500
1981 Honda Twinstar
post #10 of 19 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 12:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwestrider
I posted about this before. but only got responses wondering why I would want to do this.

I am considering cutting down one of my spare windshields to see if it smooths out the helmet buffeting a bit and provides a view OVER the windshield in the full upright position. I have 3 windshields,....so this is a no cost experiment for me versus buying a new shorter windshield for $200 to see if I like it as other riders have suggested.

If you have cut one down, I would like to see a pic of it on the bike if possible.

How much did you cut it down?

Did you follow the original top curve or line of the OE Windshield?

Or, did you try something different? if so,...how did it work?

Brian in Austin.
Yes I cut about 4 inches off the top of a Cee Bailey +2 +4, was planning to cut off the bottom but the windscreen has a inward bow and looked as if it would rub on the instrument cover when full down. I made a template of the top and drew it on duct tape across cut line, used saber saw blade made for plastic (fine tooth) to make the cut then sanded the edges smooth. Once the edges are sanded smooth take a SMALL butane torch and run it over the sanded edge and the edge will gloss over like new. You may want to practice with the torch on the piece you cut off the windscreen cause if you get it too hot it will melt more than you will care for.

Sonny
post #11 of 19 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 12:22 am Thread Starter

I have cut several down, so dont need a tutorial on how to do it......just was hoping to see a pic of an LT with a cut down windshield before I started cutting. (but do appreciate the effort and found the torch suggestion interesting).

I use a benchtop sanding belt and disc combination to finish then hand finish with something like a 600 wet dry then hit it with plastic polish.....seems to work well.

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chockkicker
Yes I cut about 4 inches off the top of a Cee Bailey +2 +4, was planning to cut off the bottom but the windscreen has a inward bow and looked as if it would rub on the instrument cover when full down. I made a template of the top and drew it on duct tape across cut line, used saber saw blade made for plastic (fine tooth) to make the cut then sanded the edges smooth. Once the edges are sanded smooth take a SMALL butane torch and run it over the sanded edge and the edge will gloss over like new. You may want to practice with the torch on the piece you cut off the windscreen cause if you get it too hot it will melt more than you will care for.

post #12 of 19 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 12:51 am

This a shot that shows my PARABELLUM shield that I profiled in the "Euro Cut" that was lowered about 4 1/2" from the stock height.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LT console shots #2.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	18598  

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #13 of 19 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 7:06 am Thread Starter

Any chance you have a pic of the entire bike from the side to towards the front? Curious to see what the bike looks like with a cut down shield.....may have to just do it to see for myself.

How was airflow with the windshield up and down?

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead
This a shot that shows my PARABELLUM shield that I profiled in the "Euro Cut" that was lowered about 4 1/2" from the stock height.

post #14 of 19 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:36 am

OEM short screen

UP

And down ...

Doug
'05 K1200LT,
My dog is very selective where he will pee, yet he will poop anywhere. In that regard; we couldn’t be more different.
post #15 of 19 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 1:26 pm

Best picture I have without taking a special one for you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scotts camera dump 10-11-06 125.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	318.8 KB
ID:	18610  

Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #16 of 19 Old Jul 7th, 2008, 3:53 pm Thread Starter

Re:Franken-shield: I can see over it now!

Well, I got a bit overzealous this afternoon,...I ended up making 3 cuts about 2-3" each...........changing the contour completely with the last cut.

Link to Photobucket pics .....I think

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/m...t=IMG_0345.jpg

Brian

post #17 of 19 Old Jul 7th, 2008, 5:59 pm

Wow! You really cut that sucker down. Do you even need a shield? It looks better than the real tall shields I think though.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #18 of 19 Old Jul 7th, 2008, 6:07 pm

Thumbs up Re: Cut Down Windshield? if you have one can you post pics?

Now thats a SHORT shield !

Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #19 of 19 Old Jul 8th, 2008, 10:00 am

It looks good. How does the wind hit you now? Anybody on the back?

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in