Can anyone tell me how to use the Helen TwoWheels K12LT straps with the H2W system - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:31 am Thread Starter

Can anyone tell me how to use the Helen TwoWheels K12LT straps with the H2W system

OK, I've been using the H2W luggage system for many years on many bikes.

I now have an LT and also have the H2W K12LT pack Straps.

Can anyone tell me where to position the straps? I know they go under the rear passenger seat,...but that is all I have been able to find out.

I assume the back seat must be unbolted to remove it so that the straps can be slipped under it.

1)-Do the straps go under any metal structure under the seat....or is the rear seat cusion the actual anchor for the straps (that does'nt sound very good).

2)-Do the straps go towards the front of the rear seat or somewhere else?

3)-Once under the seat and seat is re-installed, are the bags still loaded in a stack from side to side?

4)-Any preference on whether the d-ring short strap goes to the front or the rear of the stack of bags?

5)-When the bags are off the bike, do you just stuff the loose ends of the straps into the side cases?

Thanks in advance

Brian Collins in Austin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:16 am

Re: Can anyone tell me how to use the Helen TwoWheels K12LT straps with the H2W system

Brian,

Please visit this page: http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/d...ds/K1200LT.pdf It is a PDF of the installation and use instructions for the K1200LT straps. If you have further questions, please feel free to give us a call at 1-800-397-7815 or e-mail [email protected]

Thanks!
Amy
www.racerpartswholesale.com
317-639-0725
[email protected]
post #3 of 13 Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 8:41 pm

Re: Can anyone tell me how to use the Helen TwoWheels K12LT straps with the H2W system

Can they be used to help secure sacks above the side cases?

Greg and Melanie

06 BMW K12LT "WANDRR"
05 DL1000 "WNDRR2"
02 Triumph Trophy 1200 "WNDRR3", in Heidelburg

WANDRR Motorcycle Tours
wandrrmotorcycletours.com
BMWMOA, BMWMOAL, IBA, MTF

ITS ALL ABOUT THE RIDE

post #4 of 13 Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 8:55 pm

I have the Helen Two Wheels side bags and straps for my LT. I put one strap under the rear seat and one strap under the top case. I secure one bag on top of each side case. This still allows access to the bikes side cases. I also installed RS mirrors because the Helen bags block your rear view with the stock mirrors. After having the RS mirrors I would install them regardless, they are great.

Rodger

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. Ride Safe
post #5 of 13 Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 9:24 pm Thread Starter

Greg,

The H2W straps are designed to be used with the H2W bags....they are a waterproof interlocking system.

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWWANDRR
Can they be used to help secure sacks above the side cases?

post #6 of 13 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 12:30 pm

Re: Can anyone tell me how to use the Helen TwoWheels K12LT straps with the H2W syste

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwestrider
OK, I've been using the H2W luggage system for many years on many bikes.

I now have an LT and also have the H2W K12LT pack Straps.

Can anyone tell me where to position the straps? I know they go under the rear passenger seat,...but that is all I have been able to find out.

I assume the back seat must be unbolted to remove it so that the straps can be slipped under it.

1)-Do the straps go under any metal structure under the seat....or is the rear seat cusion the actual anchor for the straps (that does'nt sound very good).

2)-Do the straps go towards the front of the rear seat or somewhere else?

3)-Once under the seat and seat is re-installed, are the bags still loaded in a stack from side to side?

4)-Any preference on whether the d-ring short strap goes to the front or the rear of the stack of bags?

5)-When the bags are off the bike, do you just stuff the loose ends of the straps into the side cases?

Thanks in advance

Brian Collins in Austin
I put the K1200LT straps for each side under the top case positioned around each of the two front topcase mounting bolts. I removed the rear seat but you don't have to remove the top case to install this way. When not used, I tuck the straps in the cavity between the rear seat back and the top case. Please note that you will need the extension straps if you load your pillion seat with the clothes bag, and camping stuff. I just got back from a 6,100 mile trip - Attached are a couple of pictures of how I loaded my bike. The H2W bags are excellent
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3213.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	18608   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3212.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	18609  

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

post #7 of 13 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 5:28 pm

Re: Can anyone tell me how to use the Helen TwoWheels K12LT straps with the H2W syste

I found a solution I an very satisfied with. I removed the rear seat and then attached two soft ties on each side to the bottom tubular frame members. Then stuck them out to the sides and replaced the rear seat. Then I had 4 places to connect the H2W straps. The the attached pictures.

I have tried to attach pictures but am getting error messages. I will try again.
post #8 of 13 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 9:06 pm

Talking Re: Can anyone tell me how to use the Helen TwoWheels K12LT straps with the H2W syste

Makes it an awful high seat for your SO though!

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsonderb
I put the K1200LT straps for each side under the top case positioned around each of the two front topcase mounting bolts. I removed the rear seat but you don't have to remove the top case to install this way. When not used, I tuck the straps in the cavity between the rear seat back and the top case. Please note that you will need the extension straps if you load your pillion seat with the clothes bag, and camping stuff. I just got back from a 6,100 mile trip - Attached are a couple of pictures of how I loaded my bike. The H2W bags are excellent

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #9 of 13 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 9:29 pm Thread Starter

Jim, do you have a pic of what your H2W stack looks like from the side?

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsonderb

post #10 of 13 Old Jul 4th, 2008, 9:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwestrider
Jim, do you have a pic of what your H2W stack looks like from the side? Brian
Brian...attached are a few more pictures. I'm not sure if it is self evident, but the H2W bags have loops for the straps which help keep the bags from sliding off the seat. I tried to show how the straps look without the bags. As I stated in my response above, the intersection of each side of the straps is held by the forward top case bolts which helps to pull the bags backward and tight to the rear back rest. I don't have anything looped under the pillion seat. Also, note that that the shorter strap with the double "D" rings is the H2W extension straps. I needed that because of the camping gear I take with on trips. I just got back from a 6,100 mile trip to/from the West coast. The H2W setup was easy to load and unload and was secure in twisties and roller coaster highways.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN3214.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	18618   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3215.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	18619   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3217.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	18620   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3221.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	18621   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3222.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	18622  

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

post #11 of 13 Old Jul 5th, 2008, 7:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgtc
I have the Helen Two Wheels side bags and straps for my LT. I put one strap under the rear seat and one strap under the top case. I secure one bag on top of each side case. This still allows access to the bikes side cases. I also installed RS mirrors because the Helen bags block your rear view with the stock mirrors. After having the RS mirrors I would install them regardless, they are great.

Rodger
Rodger,
Do you have any pics of the system being used for the bags on the side over the side cases?

Greg and Melanie

06 BMW K12LT "WANDRR"
05 DL1000 "WNDRR2"
02 Triumph Trophy 1200 "WNDRR3", in Heidelburg

WANDRR Motorcycle Tours
wandrrmotorcycletours.com
BMWMOA, BMWMOAL, IBA, MTF

ITS ALL ABOUT THE RIDE
post #12 of 13 Old Jul 5th, 2008, 10:07 am

Talking Re: Can anyone tell me how to use the Helen TwoWheels K12LT straps with the H2W system

Well, I'm not Rodger, but we do use the HTW sidebags over the saddlebags on long trips when riding two-up! Here is one somewhat distant shot of myself on the LT with the HTW bags mounted. Wife got off to take the shot of the sunrise in the Idaho wilderness.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWWANDRR
Rodger,
Do you have any pics of the system being used for the bags on the side over the side cases?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2173.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	18628  

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #13 of 13 Old Jul 6th, 2008, 11:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
Makes it an awful high seat for your SO though! John
She has great visibility though!

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in