windshield wiper - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 9:41 am Thread Starter

windshield wiper

Has anyone seen a windshield wiper for a bike - like the LT?? I may be getting old, but I just don't like it when I'm going down the highway and can't see. I don't mind the rain, just doing 60 MPH and the car/truck dissappears in front of me, is just not as much fun as it could be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 9:54 am

Re: windshield wiper

I have never heard of one on a motorcycle, but thinking it through there would probably be a problem with the plastic sheild scatching when wiping all the road grime off. Have you tried waxing your shield? This helps by shedding the water in beads instead of smearing. Good luck

Mark
2004 K1200LT(black/silver)
post #3 of 12 Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jburwell
Has anyone seen a windshield wiper for a bike - like the LT?? I may be getting old, but I just don't like it when I'm going down the highway and can't see. I don't mind the rain, just doing 60 MPH and the car/truck dissappears in front of me, is just not as much fun as it could be.
Yup, it's been done. Gent in Florida (IIRC) had one (1) installed on the LT's shield. I can't remember any details as to how it operated (wind up or battery or hardwire), butt a pic or two is in the old archived files going way back. Time permits, I'll see what I can find.

post #4 of 12 Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:36 am

have you tried adusting the windshield to a different angle to get better movement of water off of it?

Haven't had any rain in my first 5000 miles since buying my bike, so I cant speak from experience.

Brian in Austin ......( had our first rainfall in 6 weeks last Sunday night)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:39 am

Mike Gregg, (baronvongregg?) who had the neat rear box/back rest setup last year had one on his shield: http://tinyurl.com/5lzl4t hope the link works. Cool idea too.

HTH

rick
post #6 of 12 Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 3:17 pm Thread Starter

[QUOTE=wildwestrider]have you tried adusting the windshield to a different angle to get better movement of water off of it?
/QUOTE]
I do that and it work some. My problem is the mist for trucks and very heavy rain
post #7 of 12 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 9:29 am

There are several options for boat windshields that might work. You might take a look at some of the marine sites.
post #8 of 12 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 4:38 pm

Lower the windshield and look over it, the wind will then blow the rain off your face shield. In severe conditions you can then easily wipe the face shield clean if needed.

-Chuck-

'05 K1200LT
'92 FXSTC
'66 HD Sprint
IBA #375

"Eat, Drink and be Merry for tomorrow we Ride"
post #9 of 12 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 4:52 pm

Ditto,

Also get a good glove with a squeegee on it, or one of them squeegee's that fit over your thumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieg
Lower the windshield and look over it, the wind will then blow the rain off your face shield. In severe conditions you can then easily wipe the face shield clean if needed.

-Chuck-

James Ranks
2008 BMW R1200RT 7200 miles
2005 BMW R1200GS 13000 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles
post #10 of 12 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 8:03 pm

Rainex works real good.

Guy from Florida turned me on to that, he rode in the rain all the time/

B D R
post #11 of 12 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 8:06 pm

Just saw this... I have one and people laugh but I am from Oregon and ride in everything but ice... I love it.

http://www.healthandperformance.org/ltmod/

Alot of log trucks out here with no fenders, they throw up alot of dirty water... dirty water is the real need.

Mike Gregg
2012 K1600GTL (Oooh La La)
25K and building Fast
99 K1200LT (SOLD)
135,000 and she treated me right.

"Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known."

post #12 of 12 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 8:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jburwell
I don't mind the rain, just doing 60 MPH and the car/truck dissappears in front of me, is just not as much fun as it could be.
EXACTLY! I have a bad habit of pushing it harder in the rain to stay dry.

Mine is a Jeep motor and controls you can get at the NAPA store. It has adjustable delay and everything.

Mike Gregg
2012 K1600GTL (Oooh La La)
25K and building Fast
99 K1200LT (SOLD)
135,000 and she treated me right.

"Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in