Breaks - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jul 1st, 2008, 8:54 pm Thread Starter

Breaks

I finially figured out I have to wait until the hazard light goes out for my break check to finish. After moving the brake failuar light goes out as it's supposed to. The last 2 mornings after stopping a couple of times they start flashing. Switch the key off and start over and they will come on after stopping a few times. Brakes still work great. After lunch when it's warmer they do not do this. I added break fluid and have the front brake resovior full. Is there one for the rear? If so, where? Could the pads be worn? Any ideas? I hate intermidiate problems. I may not have a problem. I don't know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jul 1st, 2008, 8:58 pm

Re: Breaks

what year is the bike. that has a lot to do with the type of brake system you have. Changes have been made over the years that what might help mine would be useless knowledge to yours.

Jeremy
1999 Champagne
Bike #70151
post #3 of 15 Old Jul 1st, 2008, 8:59 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnieds
I finially figured out I have to wait until the hazard light goes out for my break check to finish. After moving the brake failuar light goes out as it's supposed to. The last 2 mornings after stopping a couple of times they start flashing. Switch the key off and start over and they will come on after stopping a few times. Brakes still work great. After lunch when it's warmer they do not do this. I added break fluid and have the front brake resovior full. Is there one for the rear? If so, where? Could the pads be worn? Any ideas? I hate intermidiate problems. I may not have a problem. I don't know.
The rear is under the rear seat on the right hand side. Raise front seat then remove the 2 allen head bolts that hold the rear seat on. you will see the resovior. Worn pads could cause the problem. What year is your bike?

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 15 Old Jul 1st, 2008, 9:13 pm Thread Starter

It's a 2002. Thanks..
post #5 of 15 Old Jul 1st, 2008, 9:23 pm

Ronnie,

If I'm not mistaken you have two rear reservoirs. Both located in generally the same location but one is more difficult to see.

Find both and check the level.

Good Luck,
Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:26 am

Yes you have two resivors, the one's on the handlebars aren't hooked up to the servo-assisted system, so I wouldn't bother. Just the one under the seat. It's hard to find - on the right side of the bike.
post #7 of 15 Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 4:38 am

About every 1 hour at work and on long road trips.............Love it someone else that can not spell. LOL

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #8 of 15 Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 6:48 am

Could be he's a fan of jumbles, too.........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #9 of 15 Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 6:58 am
Cooler on the east coast!!!

I vote for "break" fluid level. I had that happen two times and both times it was low rear fluid level.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #10 of 15 Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 7:57 am

I have a 2003 LT and the the rear and right front break discs have began to rattle. The screws are securely tight--as much as the bushing allows the screws to be tightened. Breaking action is fine--but the rattle is driving me crazy. Are there some washers or spacers that I need to obtain? Thanks for any help !
post #11 of 15 Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 8:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesn
I have a 2003 LT and the the rear and right front break discs have began to rattle. The screws are securely tight--as much as the bushing allows the screws to be tightened. Breaking action is fine--but the rattle is driving me crazy. Are there some washers or spacers that I need to obtain? Thanks for any help !
I just had to replace the rear rotor on my '04. It was loose enough to make a clanging noise at low speeds. The disk is mounted to the carrier on posts that have tiny springs around them. This allows them to move a little bit. On mine, all of the little springs broke off. I replaced it with a used one from Tony Kay, one of our used parts supporting vendors. One of our more frugal members filled the gaps with high temp sealant, but I cannot vouch for this as a proper fix. It certainly generated a lively discussion a while back!

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #12 of 15 Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 9:01 am

Talking Re: Breaks

Hey Rev, I just happened to speak with that frugal member this past weekend at a friend's house and he says the RTV sealant is hanging in there and doin its job like a good thing! Hard to beat the price. I just may have to try it when and if I get the old "Cow Bell"!

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by munson
I just had to replace the rear rotor on my '04. It was loose enough to make a clanging noise at low speeds. The disk is mounted to the carrier on posts that have tiny springs around them. This allows them to move a little bit. On mine, all of the little springs broke off. I replaced it with a used one from Tony Kay, one of our used parts supporting vendors. One of our more frugal members filled the gaps with high temp sealant, but I cannot vouch for this as a proper fix. It certainly generated a lively discussion a while back!

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #13 of 15 Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 9:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
Hey Rev, I just happened to speak with that frugal member this past weekend at a friend's house and he says the RTV sealant is hanging in there and doin its job like a good thing! Hard to beat the price. I just may have to try it when and if I get the old "Cow Bell"!

John
Hey brother John! I didn't know I had a cow bell until one day while on a campout I rode to the shower house without my helmet. Boy, were people looking at me funny!

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #14 of 15 Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 7:29 pm

Talking Re: Breaks

I remember Meese had a real loud Cow Bell on his LT before he fixed it by going out and buying a GT. I don't think I can afford that fix just yet!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #15 of 15 Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 7:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by munson
Hey brother John! I didn't know I had a cow bell until one day while on a campout I rode to the shower house without my helmet. Boy, were people looking at me funny!
Yeah but is wasn't the cowbell they thought funny.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in