Burn oil at startup - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jul 1st, 2008, 11:06 am Thread Starter

Burn oil at startup

My 2002 LT burns oil at initial start up when I leave the bike on the side stand. Is this normal? What can I do to avoid it (besides using the center stand)? It's really inconvenient when I'm parked in an indoor garage and blow all that smoke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jul 1st, 2008, 11:20 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Burn oil at startup

Many threads/comments related to this.

After shutting down, keep the bike in an upright position for ~30secs and then place on side stand. Should eliminate most of the smoking.

This is a normal condition and nothing to worry about.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

Last edited by PMitchell; Jul 1st, 2008 at 2:59 pm.
post #3 of 8 Old Jul 1st, 2008, 12:08 pm

I have owned 2 K bikes.
1st was an 85 k100RT: Kept it for 17 years and it almost always smoked when I left it on the side stand. Never burned enough to require topping off.

2nd is a 2003 K1200LT and it does the same thing.

post #4 of 8 Old Jul 1st, 2008, 8:56 pm

I leave it on the center stand I never have issues with smoke. However when I leave it on the sidestand I become the neighborhood insect fogger. As others have said nothing to worry about, just keep it upright after shutting it down for 30 seconds or so, or just put it on the Center stand.

Jeremy
1999 Champagne
Bike #70151
post #5 of 8 Old Jul 1st, 2008, 10:09 pm

Thumbs up Re: Burn oil at startup

MY '03 LT rarely smokes and I use the side stand all the time. I just turn off the key and watch the temp gauge slowly turn down to the rest position. Not sure how many seconds it takes to do that, but it's enough time for the oil to run out of the cylinder and back into the oil pan before I lean it over on the side stand. Just don't be in a big hurry to lean it over after you shut her down.
Also, make sure you don't add enough oil to make it over full. I never add any oil in between oil changes.

By the way, a little smoke at start up is no big deal. Just a little embarrassing if you're around a group of Harley's. LOL

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #6 of 8 Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:07 am Thread Starter

Yeah I know it's not a big deal, but when people are around or the bike is indoors it's annoying and embarassing. Enspecially when I'm bragging about the bike and I start her up, and blue smoke!
post #7 of 8 Old Jul 12th, 2008, 10:12 pm

After shutting off the ignition, lean very sightly to the right for about 15 seconds that really helps get the oil back to the pan and stops smoking on start up after sitting a while. Make sure you have a good footing when doing this.
post #8 of 8 Old Jul 12th, 2008, 10:43 pm

I think of it as an upper cylinder pre-oiler system to ensure the upper cylinder has enough oil on start up. I tell anyone who asks that it's another benefit of superior German engineering. A raised eyebrow as I confidently roll away helps.

Still Hobbling Karl

Disreputable Rode Hard & Put Up Wet Old Deadbeat Geezer
"We're all here because we're not all there"
--Ken & Gene Hunt
'09 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie -- QuickSilver II
'02 LTE Silver -- Retired
'02 LTC Mauve -- RIP
2009 Subaru WRX, Stage 1 269 whp, 293 ftlb - INTERCEPTOR
2003 Ford Focus, 220 hp @ wheels 180 ftlb torque @ wheels - Traded
Northern Colorado

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in