BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Burn oil at startup

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  kmurphy165 
#1 ·
My 2002 LT burns oil at initial start up when I leave the bike on the side stand. Is this normal? What can I do to avoid it (besides using the center stand)? It's really inconvenient when I'm parked in an indoor garage and blow all that smoke.

#2 · (Edited)
Many threads/comments related to this.

After shutting down, keep the bike in an upright position for ~30secs and then place on side stand. Should eliminate most of the smoking.

This is a normal condition and nothing to worry about.

#4 ·
I leave it on the center stand I never have issues with smoke. However when I leave it on the sidestand I become the neighborhood insect fogger. As others have said nothing to worry about, just keep it upright after shutting it down for 30 seconds or so, or just put it on the Center stand.

#5 ·
MY '03 LT rarely smokes and I use the side stand all the time. I just turn off the key and watch the temp gauge slowly turn down to the rest position. Not sure how many seconds it takes to do that, but it's enough time for the oil to run out of the cylinder and back into the oil pan before I lean it over on the side stand. Just don't be in a big hurry to lean it over after you shut her down.
Also, make sure you don't add enough oil to make it over full. I never add any oil in between oil changes.

By the way, a little smoke at start up is no big deal. Just a little embarrassing if you're around a group of Harley's. LOL :bmw:

#8 ·
I think of it as an upper cylinder pre-oiler system to ensure the upper cylinder has enough oil on start up. I tell anyone who asks that it's another benefit of superior German engineering. A raised eyebrow as I confidently roll away helps.

Still Hobbling Karl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.