Spark Knock - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jun 30th, 2008, 5:50 pm Thread Starter

Spark Knock

Can the LT spark knock?
Does it have a knock sensor that will retard the timing automatically if there is a knock present?

If not can the timing be adjusted?

thanks,
dale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jun 30th, 2008, 5:56 pm

Re: Spark Knock

Everything is controlled by the Motronic (computer) on the bike. There is NO timing adjustment.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #3 of 12 Old Jun 30th, 2008, 6:00 pm Thread Starter

OK,

what would be the probable cause of spark knock sound?

post #4 of 12 Old Jun 30th, 2008, 6:06 pm

Riding to low in the bike power band and trying to ride it out without downshifting. This bike is not a low grunt V-Twin. You really need to keep it up in the power band, i.e. over 3000 RPM and still think about downshifting when you want to speed up.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #5 of 12 Old Jun 30th, 2008, 6:17 pm Thread Starter

Steve,

No it's not related to engine load. It does appear worse at lower RPMs but that could be related to slower speed and the ability to hear better. I could hear it today on the interstate at cruising speeds. I do have an exhaust leak that seems to go away with engine heat. I order bolts and seals today.

the bike has 31k and the valves have never been adjusted that I know of. Could the valves make a similar noise.?
post #6 of 12 Old Jun 30th, 2008, 6:51 pm

What octane are you using?

With 87, mine totally hates the uphill side of the mountains.
Especially, two up.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #7 of 12 Old Jun 30th, 2008, 8:43 pm Thread Starter

Super only, always brand name. I am new to the LT and have put about 2.5k on the bike. I dont have BMW within 3 hours. I really flogged it this weekend, and I worried about the noises that I'm hearing now.

same question over again: can the LT spark knock if it is not malfunctioning or will the computer take over like a modern car engine and prevent it from happening? What are the common noises from this bike? Can valve train noise sound similar to spark knock.

I dont mind taking it apart to try to find the problem, just looking for common failures or noises that mimic spark knock. thanks, Dale
post #8 of 12 Old Jun 30th, 2008, 8:47 pm Thread Starter

what about a power commander where you have control of the timing?

dale
post #9 of 12 Old Jun 30th, 2008, 9:15 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

There is a static timing adjustment defined in the manual. There is no knock sensor on the LT. The valves always wear tight (valve seat erosion) so it is not that. You say you only have a little time on the old girl, could it be you have changed something (turned the radio down, changed helmets etc)? Often we hear strange and unusual sounds that were always there but did not notice. The injectors can be pretty noisey as well. Best to have some other LT rider take a listen to rule out normal sounds, before tearing into an other wise OK machine.

Oh yeah the exhaust leak will make all kinds of noise that changes with temperature. Get that settled first then look for the "other" source of noise.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #10 of 12 Old Jul 1st, 2008, 6:13 am

Well, it's only about 3 hours from here to Dublin, GA. Maybe I should ride down on the weekend and take a listen. What say ye, Dale?

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #11 of 12 Old Jul 1st, 2008, 6:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Everything is controlled by the Motronic (computer) on the bike. There is NO timing adjustment.
Yes there is Steve! The plate that holds the Hall Effect sensors is adjusted to have the static timing at 0.010" BTC. You have to use a rod in the spark plug hold for #1, and a dial indicator to read the setting. A volt meter on the lead from the correct Hall sensor is used along with the dial indicator reading to set it.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #12 of 12 Old Jul 1st, 2008, 6:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Yes there is Steve! The plate that holds the Hall Effect sensors is adjusted to have the static timing at 0.010" BTC. You have to use a rod in the spark plug hold for #1, and a dial indicator to read the setting. A volt meter on the lead from the correct Hall sensor is used along with the dial indicator reading to set it.
THE Doctor has entered the building and I stand corrected.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in