Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Lehighton, Pa, USA
Re: Any reason to NOT upgrade the Motronic?
I only assume the stalling and the hesitation are two different issues. HOWEVER, when I took it in for the sixth time for the stalling, it was brought up at that time, it may have something do to with the temp sensor unit, which I am not going to attempt to remove without taking off the tupperware- and glad I did not get my arm stuck in there and have the bike fall over, as it did for another poster.
Once pulling the sensor was mentioned, and then the posts on the Motronic were brought to my attention, I had to ask why this had not been addressed by any of the three previous owners or their dealers.
Having over $12k in a 99 I have really yet to use, I did not want to not have this taken care of, if BMW and the dealer are willing to work with me.
I do not have an answer for why it is stalling. I don't have $424 to spare for the Idle Actuator, and the computer tests are suggesting it is not bad anyway.
It no longer fluctuates as it had been doing, racing as high as 4500 rpm's at traffic lights. I don't have any rpm fluctuation at idle since putting six tanks of fuel cleaner through.
BMW knew this problem existed in 99/00. So, if there is reason to pull the sensor, and there was reason to engineer and install a sensor to begin with, then logic would suggest it should be there and the Motronic should be replaced.
I just do not want to give up prime riding time in mid season, nor spend a small fortune to dismantle what I just spent over a month working on.
I wish this was a case of just having to clip the brown wire......
Finally got this ready to go, all the fluids were changed this week, and the only issue I know if to address, is whether or not BMW agrees to replace this, and if so, DO I AGREE to do this now, or ask them to wait till end of Oct? AND, then I have to decide if it is worth it, IF I have to incur all the costs for the install........???
Due to not having a decent driveway or garage, working in the sun and the open bike subjected to the elements, unexpected winds and what not, I was willing to spend the necessary money for the valve adjustment and other repairs at 60k, which should be about Oct/Nov.
Way to much time and money invested to not take advantage of this being as good as it can and should be!
Appreciate ALL the replies!! };^/