Any reason to NOT upgrade the Motronic? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jun 30th, 2008, 1:29 pm Thread Starter

Any reason to NOT upgrade the Motronic?

Had the bike computer tested this AM to make sure it still had the original 99 Motronic, and it does. The dealer is asking BMW to swap it out for a newly programmed unit. Whether or not they will, I have no idea. Does it matter?

However, that would entail removing the fuel tank, and every other thing I just got done putting back together after a four week job to install shocks, upgrade lights and change filters.

I was going to have it all taken apart and pay the dealer for the valve adjust and all other services at 60k....which in all probability would take me the rest of the year to put on 15k miles.

So, looking ahead here, do I accept the new upgrade and pay the dealer to install it, or, wait till Oct and have it all done at once, providing BMW agrees to wait for the rest of the work.

I have no desire to do any more work on this bike at this point.

This all became something of interest with my continued stalling problems when I first use it for the day, and secondly, once I started reading about cutting the brown wire, I had the bike sitting in the sun at the dealers the other week. It was about 90 degrees and the bike seemed very hesitant pulling out the rest of the day. At that point I questioned if it needed the upgraded Motronic.

All suggestions, past experience if you upgraded, would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jun 30th, 2008, 1:58 pm

Re: Any reason to NOT upgrade the Motronic?

The faulty programming caused hesitation, not stalling.

If I remember correctly, some people curred the hesitation problem without having to get a correctly programmed chip, AKA Motronic.

99 Also had a defective starter relay--if the battery voltage drops below a certain point, the relay will fuse closed.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #3 of 11 Old Jun 30th, 2008, 2:02 pm
Bouncer

Why would you change out the computer? That would probably be a first in 9 years of the LT's existence.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old Jun 30th, 2008, 2:38 pm

Changing out the Motronic was BMW fix for hot weather hesitation on 99 and 2000 models. IIRC back in that era, there were folks who actually had this done, but.... you needed a sympathetic dealer or a really obvious problem because it was an expensive warranty fix.

The rest of us just unplugged the air temp sensor at the airbox, and made sure to always run 93 octane fuel.

If the dealership will do the change of the Motronic at no charge (which would surprise the heck outta me), I'd go for it. Otherwise, I'd just unplug the airtemp sensor.

If you really have a stalling issue, not just a hot weather hesitation, you may have a problem different from known hot weather hesitation.
post #5 of 11 Old Jun 30th, 2008, 2:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
Changing out the Motronic was BMW fix for hot weather hesitation on 99 and 2000 models. IIRC back in that era, there were folks who actually had this done, but.... you needed a sympathetic dealer or a really obvious problem because it was an expensive warranty fix.

The rest of us just unplugged the air temp sensor at the airbox, and made sure to always run 93 octane fuel.

If the dealership will do the change of the Motronic at no charge (which would surprise the heck outta me), I'd go for it. Otherwise, I'd just unplug the airtemp sensor.

If you really have a stalling issue, not just a hot weather hesitation, you may have a problem different from known hot weather hesitation.
I had my '99 LT motronic changed out in Nov.99. The area Rep had to take it for a test drive to verify the problem. He came out in November, fortunately it was a warm day and he ok'd the replacement.
Once he ok'd it,it still took several weeks to get the new one in. Very few got changed out as I recall.

dan
post #6 of 11 Old Jun 30th, 2008, 3:14 pm Thread Starter

I only assume the stalling and the hesitation are two different issues. HOWEVER, when I took it in for the sixth time for the stalling, it was brought up at that time, it may have something do to with the temp sensor unit, which I am not going to attempt to remove without taking off the tupperware- and glad I did not get my arm stuck in there and have the bike fall over, as it did for another poster.

Once pulling the sensor was mentioned, and then the posts on the Motronic were brought to my attention, I had to ask why this had not been addressed by any of the three previous owners or their dealers.

Having over $12k in a 99 I have really yet to use, I did not want to not have this taken care of, if BMW and the dealer are willing to work with me.

I do not have an answer for why it is stalling. I don't have $424 to spare for the Idle Actuator, and the computer tests are suggesting it is not bad anyway.

It no longer fluctuates as it had been doing, racing as high as 4500 rpm's at traffic lights. I don't have any rpm fluctuation at idle since putting six tanks of fuel cleaner through.

BMW knew this problem existed in 99/00. So, if there is reason to pull the sensor, and there was reason to engineer and install a sensor to begin with, then logic would suggest it should be there and the Motronic should be replaced.

I just do not want to give up prime riding time in mid season, nor spend a small fortune to dismantle what I just spent over a month working on.

I wish this was a case of just having to clip the brown wire......

Finally got this ready to go, all the fluids were changed this week, and the only issue I know if to address, is whether or not BMW agrees to replace this, and if so, DO I AGREE to do this now, or ask them to wait till end of Oct? AND, then I have to decide if it is worth it, IF I have to incur all the costs for the install........???

Due to not having a decent driveway or garage, working in the sun and the open bike subjected to the elements, unexpected winds and what not, I was willing to spend the necessary money for the valve adjustment and other repairs at 60k, which should be about Oct/Nov.

Way to much time and money invested to not take advantage of this being as good as it can and should be!

Appreciate ALL the replies!! };^/
post #7 of 11 Old Jun 30th, 2008, 3:47 pm
Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT

I remember a couple people trying the change with no success -- or at least no more success than removing the yellow cat code plug (similar to the cutting the brown wire on later models).

Paging David Shealey to the white courtesy phone -- any ideas?

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #8 of 11 Old Jun 30th, 2008, 4:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
I remember a couple people trying the change with no success -- or at least no more success than removing the yellow cat code plug (similar to the cutting the brown wire on later models).

Jeff, Raffy had the Motronic on Red Rover replaced for a newer one. I never had hesitation issues.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #9 of 11 Old Jul 1st, 2008, 12:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe

Not quite right, Jeff. Many of us with '99 and '00 LTs had our Motronics replaced under Warranty per a service bulletin. It is the ONLY way to get the secondary FI map on the older bikes to cure hesitation. The secondary map on these older bikes can be activated by removing the cat-code plug, but ONLY if you have the updated Motronic.

It's right here in the FAQ, where you will also find a link to one of David's informative posts on the matter.

Cheers,
-joel
post #10 of 11 Old Jul 1st, 2008, 12:16 pm

"BMW knew this problem existed in 99/00. So, if there is reason to pull the sensor, and there was reason to engineer and install a sensor to begin with, then logic would suggest it should be there and the Motronic should be replaced."

When I brought my 00 in for the 600 mile check out, I mentioned that it must need a "tune-up" since it had a flat-spot at low RPM.

Thats when I got the bad news that the computer chip needed to be replaced, it had to be OKed by BMW and there was about a 13 month waiting list to get a Motronic to make it run right.

On the same 600 mile check out, I also mentioned that the speedo needed to be replaced, since it was way off! Turns out, the speedo wasn't designed to represent the actual speed.

My LT never stalled.
The dealership replaced the computer chip.
Thanks to this site, I added a jumper wire to the speedo so that it is accurate.

If you have the hesitation problem, you'll enjoy riding more if you pull the air box sensor.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #11 of 11 Old Jul 1st, 2008, 5:56 pm

My dealer offered a new motronic in bout '00. I've never had the issue of hesitation, but always use 93 octane.

So, I still have the original motronic. My starter did stick once, since then, 7-8 years ago, I've always used a battery tender and not had the problem again. again.

Chris

Hiddenite NC

'99 LTi Champagne

GTHC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in