Changed to Mobile1 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jun 30th, 2008, 1:02 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Red face Changed to Mobile1

I do not think I have seen this on the forum:
At 60,000 miles I made the change to their synthetic motor oil. I have done all my service so I do have a clue how to do the fluid changes. What I have noticed is after not having to add oil between the 6,000 mile intervals after about 2,500 miles the oil level was down to the dot in the center of the sight glass.
I always fill to the top of the glass(3.5 qt) and let it drop to the center over the 6,000 miles. Now, after filling back to the top(about 8+ oz) it is back almost to the dot and I am 1,000 from the change.
I have not seen any signs of leaking.

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jun 30th, 2008, 1:31 pm

Re: Changed to Mobile1

I run Mobile 1 5w/30 in ALL of my engines.

Plenty of protection.

Visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #3 of 13 Old Jun 30th, 2008, 1:40 pm

what weight are you using?

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 Old Jul 1st, 2008, 8:25 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Red face Re: Changed to Mobile1

Jeff,
I'm using either(at the office as I type this) 10/40 or 15/50. I got the highest #s they had in stock.
Benton

Benton Blalock

'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #5 of 13 Old Jul 1st, 2008, 9:52 am

I use the 15/50 during summer...

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #6 of 13 Old Jul 1st, 2008, 7:30 pm

Since I see no one has mentioned it yet, I'll add my two cents worth. I've read about it, but never experianced it so take it for what its worth ...

Synthetic oil molecules/droplets/whatever you choose to call them are all one size. Unlike dino or blends that have varying size molecules. Most synthetics are also smaller in size and this can lead to unusual oil loss after changing from conventional to syntheic oil.

The basic idea is the wear on your current components (rings, valves, etc.) is sufficient to allow the smaller syntheic oil molecules to slip past these worn components, or sometimes just seals, and be lost (i.e. burned in the intake system, slipped in to the exhaust system, or dropped on the ground).

It's also why high milage cars are not recommended vehicles to use synthetic oil on and in fact high milage oils are usually heavier oils or blends.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #7 of 13 Old Jul 1st, 2008, 8:21 pm

I don't know about using/ burning oil for other people.
I started using 5w/30 about three years ago. I just got lazy having GS 20w/50 for the bikes and other oils for the cars and trucks.
I started buying Mobile 1 in bulk. I change my oil every 3K.
I regularly check the levels on the stick or in the sight glass, it seems to never change.
My 2003 Volvo S60 has 116K miles on it. It does not burn any oil and I have always gotten 32-34 MPG.
My 2004 Volvo XC90 has 104K miles and it doesn't burn oil.
My 2004 Nissan Titan has gotten Mobile1 since its first oil change, now at 65K mostly pulling 7K pounds.
All of my bikes get 5w/30. They don't burn oil and there are no leaks.

I don't experience any clutch issues or I have never seen any adverse effects from Mobile 1.

There isn't anything that will make me change at this point.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #8 of 13 Old Jul 1st, 2008, 9:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblalock
Jeff,
I'm using either(at the office as I type this) 10/40 or 15/50. I got the highest #s they had in stock.
Benton
That is what I am using in my vehicles. I did notice on my van that when I put the 5/30 in it I used more oil. Not sure what the deal is with your bike.

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

post #9 of 13 Old Jul 1st, 2008, 9:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblalock
I do not think I have seen this on the forum:
At 60,000 miles I made the change to their synthetic motor oil. I have done all my service so I do have a clue how to do the fluid changes. What I have noticed is after not having to add oil between the 6,000 mile intervals after about 2,500 miles the oil level was down to the dot in the center of the sight glass.
I always fill to the top of the glass(3.5 qt) and let it drop to the center over the 6,000 miles. Now, after filling back to the top(about 8+ oz) it is back almost to the dot and I am 1,000 from the change.
I have not seen any signs of leaking.
Well Benton,

Given the drastic change in consumption in your case, I would want to be darn sure it isn't filling my clutch intermediate housing. If you aren't up for drilling a drain hole in the bottom of the clutch housing, at least look real close at the mating surface of the clutch housing to the rear of the engine block to make sure you do not see any evidence of seepage. If there is a rear main seal leaking it was going bad anyway and the less viscous, not as KLT seal friendly, Mobil 1 may have just showed the problem sooner.

On the other hand seems like excessive consumption for a rear main leak. When mine went, there was no noticeable oil consumption. But I caught it before the leak was much more than a very small seep.

Good luck and let us know what you discover. Hopefully your just burning it and getting excellent cylinder wall lubrication

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #10 of 13 Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 9:51 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Cool Re: Changed to Mobile1

I confirmed it is 15/50.
I'll double check for leakage, with the tupperware removed.
I'll use it again with the next change to see if it is consistently getting rid of the stuff.
Now..... if I am constantly adding new oil then the oil change can be delayed. Right!(See my smile)

Benton Blalock

230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #11 of 13 Old May 25th, 2009, 8:59 am

I use 5 / 50
post #12 of 13 Old May 25th, 2009, 11:24 am

I'm not too far away from my first oil change. I use Mobil 1 in my suv and dirtbike and the 2 MB Unimogs I had ran it as well.

I'm still at odds as to which oil to use.

'00 K1200 LTC
post #13 of 13 Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 6:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKnowles
Since I see no one has mentioned it yet, I'll add my two cents worth. I've read about it, but never experianced it so take it for what its worth ...

Synthetic oil molecules/droplets/whatever you choose to call them are all one size. Unlike dino or blends that have varying size molecules. Most synthetics are also smaller in size and this can lead to unusual oil loss after changing from conventional to syntheic oil.

The basic idea is the wear on your current components (rings, valves, etc.) is sufficient to allow the smaller syntheic oil molecules to slip past these worn components, or sometimes just seals, and be lost (i.e. burned in the intake system, slipped in to the exhaust system, or dropped on the ground).

It's also why high milage cars are not recommended vehicles to use synthetic oil on and in fact high milage oils are usually heavier oils or blends.
Thanks for scaring me Arthur...

Just kidding.. I pulled the drain plug and removed the filter last night before I went to bed...
I'm gonna finish the job this morning...

I have 2 qts. of "high mileage mobile 1 10w-40 sitting on the shelf ... I was thinkin I might go down and buy a couple more and use that....

but I guess I will stick to my Trusty Rotella T dino oil. 75k miles no problems yet... why mess with it....

thats what happens when you have a couple beers and start thinkin too much....

True Wisdom Only Comes From Pain.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in