Removing Air from Coolant System - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jun 30th, 2008, 12:17 pm Thread Starter

Removing Air from Coolant System

I recently did some work on my LT where I had to remove the coolant and radiator. I filled it back up and figured if it needed anymore coolant, it would take it from the overflow bottle. On a recent trip, I had the overtemp light come on when I got stopped by a huge traffic jam in 90+ weather, so I pulled over and stopped for a while, until I was passed by a bike riding on the shoulder. I figured I would join him, and rode on the shoulder for a couple miles until I was out of that mess. I was OK temp wise as long as I kept moving. When I got where I was going, I bought some BMW coolant and added it to the overflow bottle, which had gone down some, so apparently it sucked some in. It rode with no overtemp problems on the way home though it did seem to be running up there a bit. When I got back, I pulled off everything to check the radiator level itself and it was a bit low. I added some to bring it up to the top, and hopefully, that is all I'm going to have to do. I was wondering, however, if maybe there is still some air trapped in there, and if so, how do I get it out? Does running the bike bring the air to where it can escape when I open the cap? Does the cooling system not draw from the reservoir if there is air in the system? This last time I checked, I was low at the radiator, even though I had plenty in the reservoir or overflow bottle.

Grey 14 K1600GT
Red 94 R1100RSL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jun 30th, 2008, 1:50 pm

Re: Removing Air from Coolant System

I had to replace my rads and have since done the coolant a few times.
I have never filled from the res/overflow. Always from the top of the LH rad (IIRC)
Proc has been;
1.fill till it tops out
2. squeeze lower thick rad pipes till bubbling stops
3. fill again
4. repeat 2 and 3 till no change in level
5. start engine, run for 30 seconds
6. repeat 2,3,4 till no change
7. check res and top off

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Jun 30th, 2008, 7:43 pm Thread Starter

I'm probably OK now, since I had run it on a trip and I am thinking I worked out any air. I just want to be sure because it is such a PITA to add more at the radiator.

Grey 14 K1600GT
Red 94 R1100RSL

post #4 of 5 Old Jun 30th, 2008, 7:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyn1
I'm probably OK now, since I had run it on a trip and I am thinking I worked out any air. I just want to be sure because it is such a PITA to add more at the radiator.
VERY easy to do with a 2 foot section of clear vinyl tubing (attached to the bottom of your funnel) snaked between the fairing and the fill port on the radiator.

You won't even spill a drop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #5 of 5 Old Jul 1st, 2008, 6:59 am

I had the same problem after changing my coolant. It ran hotter than before. While parked in the shop the next day, I loosened the radiator cap and blew into the nipple on the over flow tank until water came out the radiator cap. I massaged the hoses as well while the cap was off. I did this two or three times and kept refilling the overflow tank. That got the air out and stopped the heating problem. Blowing on the nipple is easier than trying to fish a hose through to the radiator............

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in