LT Ordered, Now Need Some Advice - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jun 29th, 2008, 2:57 pm Thread Starter

LT Ordered, Now Need Some Advice

Just ordered my 2009 LT from the local dealer. Expect to arrival in approximately three (3) weeks. Here is my first newbie question of many.

I need recommendations for a bike-to-bike intercom system. Since the 2009 does not come with an intercom, is it worth the $ to buy the BMW intercom or will another system due me just as good?

The wife (who I will be communicating with) has a Nolan 102 and will be on her own bike. The daughter will be two up with me. The wife wants communication with both of us.

Your suggestions on this topic is greatly appreciated along with any other words of wisdom pertaining to the Light Truck.

Last edited by LostInAlaska; Jun 29th, 2008 at 5:37 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jun 29th, 2008, 5:46 pm

Re: LT Ordered, Now Need Some Advice

For bike to bike, most of us use either CB or GMRS/FRS radios. Wired into the comm system they seem to work just fine. You'll put a ptt switch on the left grip.. And off you go..

Most intercom systems whatever brand you buy seem to have provisions for this.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Jun 29th, 2008, 5:51 pm

I would let BMW put it in. I am not go with putting stuff together etc.......So I rather have the dealer do it. I know it is pricy that way, but that is me.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)

post #4 of 9 Old Jun 29th, 2008, 6:27 pm

I think I would try the Motocom SK-1000, comes complete with FRS radio and all the cords, Push to talk switch, helmet headset complete for $127 online.
I use a similar setup with a FRS radio wired into my LT com system, works fantastic, only drawback is the BMW headsets and com cords are pricey.$200 each.
Hope that helps.
Leo Clark
2002 1200LTE 42000 and no problems yet!!
post #5 of 9 Old Jun 29th, 2008, 9:19 pm

If I were putting in a new intercom system, I doubt I would waste any money on anything that was not a bluetooth based system. Cords are the pits. Although some will say having to charge the BT components is just as bad, I'm not one of them. Mine last for weeks without a recharge.

On my LT, I have the Voice II intercom. It's OK. I have to use a HF-820 to connect my cell phone to it though via BT. The unit actually conencts to my Nav III. My phone conencts to my Nav III. The HF-820 is actually the micrtophon interface to the Nav III as the Nav III (and 2820) don't include one for hand free BT (don't ask me why). So it is a cludge fix, but it works. Plus it allows my wife to hear the GPS commands too (not availabel without a BT unit interfacing in the com system. Wihtout it, only the driver hears the commands).

On my RT, I have two Camos 600 units. It supports two AD2p connections on channel one and 1 mono conenction on channel 2 (used for rider to passenger intercom). There are new ones out for rider ro rider communications as well. Plus Scala make a similar unit.

So, I'd suggest looking around first to see what hardware you want. Like a BT GPS liek the 2820 or Zumo where you can also add MP3 or XM radio. Whatever, then go from there on what hardware to purchase to support your needs. But make sure to put it all down (GPS, MP3, Radio, bike to bike, rider to passenger, etc.) and then make sure whatever hardware you purchase will do it all. Autocom and Starcom make some impresive gear that can be expanded to do just about anything. Probbaly for less than the dealer system to boot.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #6 of 9 Old Jun 29th, 2008, 10:08 pm

I had the same question you have when I picked up my 09'. Asked the dealer what he recommended, and he steered me away from BMW and directly toward a cheaper (better quality according to him) autocom system. After completing paperwork, I went into service department to schedule my 600 mile service and spoke with service manager. I asked him what his opinion was regading intercom systems. He said the BMW unit was total junk. Said that in his 30+ years of wrenching, he had never seen a worse system. He said autocom was what he recommended. So after July 16th, I should be able to tell you my experience with autocom.
post #7 of 9 Old Jun 30th, 2008, 6:07 am

If you do the install, contact cfell here on the site. He helped me with mine (actually, I think I was his assistant!). Decent guy that will probably let you buy him a ticket to AK for the install! LOL

I bought the Intaride EVO system through wirelessbiker.com; they have BT modules but I went with wires.

Best of luck.

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #8 of 9 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 12:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInAlaska
Just ordered my 2009 LT from the local dealer. Expect to arrival in approximately three (3) weeks. Here is my first newbie question of many.

I need recommendations for a bike-to-bike intercom system. Since the 2009 does not come with an intercom, is it worth the $ to buy the BMW intercom or will another system due me just as good?

The wife (who I will be communicating with) has a Nolan 102 and will be on her own bike. The daughter will be two up with me. The wife wants communication with both of us.

Your suggestions on this topic is greatly appreciated along with any other words of wisdom pertaining to the Light Truck.
If I did not have the Voice II system, which came preinstalled in my LT, I would buy the Baehr system for the LT. Quick, easy under seat installation. Downside is that it is extremely pricey.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

post #9 of 9 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 12:57 pm

I have a Baehr Verso XL that I added to my bike (suzuki) and I think it's about the best wired system out there. Can hook up about anything to it, had good volume and squelch adjustments and is very clear. Besides, it's German too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in