Pinnacle warr, price question? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old Jun 29th, 2008, 10:04 am Thread Starter

Pinnacle warr, price question?

Quoted $1669.00 tax included for 4 year premier plan, abs included,seals & gaskets,touring bike package all included .05 Still under factory warr until Aug. I'm being told here in FL the price is regulated,does it seem hi or normal? Thanks ,rbots. Price is from the dealership where I purchased the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old Jun 29th, 2008, 10:29 am

Re: Pinnacle warr, price question?

Have you noticed that just about every time you buy any piece of hardware these days - even a toaster at Sears - that the cashier will pretty much insist that you need to purchase an outrageously expensive extended warranty?

There are two reasons why they push this so hard - the cashier gets a token commission for selling it, and his/her employer makes a 50% commision for doing absolutely nothing!

From what I have witnessed over the years - and especially for motorcycles - when you have a warranty claim the companies will fight paying it tooth and nail. Most of the companies issuing these warranties have larceny in their hearts to start with.

I would sure as heck investigate if any complaints have been lodged against the company you are considering by Googling, checking with the BBB, chat rooms, etc. before plunking down $1.7 large for something you most likely will never use. That's just WAY too much... negotiate. I find it VERY hard to believe that the price of these warranties are regulated by ANYONE - that dealer is lying through his teeth in hopes that you won't shop around.

IMO, extended warranties are a total rip off. I'm sure there are exceptions to this, and have heard of one company - Western - that actually took care of a customer with no questions. My bet is they are in a VERY small minority.

I would rather take a small fraction of that money, buy some tools, a service video and parts at a 20% discount from retail and do it myself. Odds are you can do as a good a job as any service department - and most often better and faster.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pushoveronboard.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	18556  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Jun 29th, 2008 at 10:47 am.
post #3 of 38 Old Jun 29th, 2008, 10:29 am
Bouncer

Unless they've gone way up in the past few years, you've been quoted too much.

I did a 2000 LT for 3 years in 2002, and it was only $649.

It covered a ABS unit and a Rear Main Seal. More than paid for itself

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-

post #4 of 38 Old Jun 29th, 2008, 3:04 pm

Garage

I paid $600 for the extended warranty when I bought my 07 RT. The dealer wanted $1,000. I said I'd give $600. He said he couldn't do it. I said I work in the auto industry and know that at least 1/2 of that price is mark up. He looked at me and said ok. Shop around.
post #5 of 38 Old Jun 29th, 2008, 4:57 pm

I got a pinnacle 4 yr plan for my 05' and paid $1150 covers everthing except the center stand.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #6 of 38 Old Jun 29th, 2008, 5:29 pm Thread Starter

dmatson , Thats a good price, maybe I should check else where in FL to see if I can get it cheaper, the price i'm getting in FT Myers seems high.
post #7 of 38 Old Jun 29th, 2008, 7:26 pm

I bought mine from Ft. Myers for less than $1000 last year with a 100,000 mile warranty. Had a seal and radio replaced, no problems (Daytona BMW). My center stand went out and that is about the only thing not covered. I had the pinn coverage on a cager some years age also with no problems. Ft. Myers BMW seem to be charging more than most other shops now??? Check on line or with Haps cycles in Sarasota. They also sell and service BMW's.

Greg and Melanie

06 BMW K12LT "WANDRR"
05 DL1000 "WNDRR2"
02 Triumph Trophy 1200 "WNDRR3", in Heidelburg

WANDRR Motorcycle Tours
wandrrmotorcycletours.com
BMWMOA, BMWMOAL, IBA, MTF

ITS ALL ABOUT THE RIDE
post #8 of 38 Old Jun 29th, 2008, 8:10 pm

I think I paid around $600 or $650 for a Pinnacle plan, in Florida, on my 2002 K1200 LT. My plan extended full coverage out to 6 years from date of purchase. I recently had to replace the radio to the tune of over $1100.00. All but the tax was covered under the warr. My shop, BMW of Orlando, said that Pinnacle is one of the best out there. They never have a problem with claims being denied by them. I would highly recommend Pinnacle, but I think you need to haggle or shop the price you're being quoted.
post #9 of 38 Old Jun 29th, 2008, 8:38 pm Thread Starter

Thankyou bmwwandrr & m salerno 1 for your helpful input. I was not aware of Haps, I will give them a call. I reailize there is a markup, I have no problem with that but $1669.00 looks to be a bit much.
post #10 of 38 Old Jun 29th, 2008, 9:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Have you noticed that just about every time you buy any piece of hardware these days - even a toaster at Sears - that the cashier will pretty much insist that you need to purchase an outrageously expensive extended warranty?
I'm going to beg to differ on these exrtended warrentied BIG TIME! I have the extended warrenties from Sears for my fridge, freezer, washer, dryer, TV, microwave, etc. etc. etc. and I've gotten more than my money's worth back in return. When my original rear projection TV flaked out after 3 years and Sears could not fix it in a timely fashion, they refunded 100% of the purchase price. That 2K went to a brand new HD plasma TV. When my freezer freaked out because th e9 volt battery died in it, Sears paid for the wasted food and repalced the battery. I've had my microwave repaired under warrenty. Paid for the policy plus even more. Had the stove sparkers fixed, yearly checkups and tuning. Sear's warrenties are worth every d**n penny I paid for them. That's not to say all extended warrenties are worth it, but a Sears warrenty for appliances certainly are!

Quote:
IMO, extended warranties are a total rip off. I'm sure there are exceptions to this, and have heard of one company - Western - that actually took care of a customer with no questions. My bet is they are in a VERY small minority.
That's good to hear as that is who I have my policy with and only paid $100. Good until 2012.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #11 of 38 Old Jun 29th, 2008, 9:18 pm Thread Starter

I here there are good people in Fallbrook,NICE.
post #12 of 38 Old Jun 29th, 2008, 9:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbots
I here there are good people in Fallbrook,NICE.
I'd like to think so! There are of course the not nice people, but by and large it is a small community of about 40,000 and acts like a small town. People actually let you merge in traffic. <gasp>

post #13 of 38 Old Jun 29th, 2008, 10:04 pm

I called pinnacle and asked them for dealers in my area. I ended up buying the policy at a Boss Hoss dealer. And I agree Fallbrook is a very nice area!

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #14 of 38 Old Jun 30th, 2008, 6:34 am Thread Starter

I'm going to call Barb at pinnacle today to see whats available in the SW Florida area. I assume any dealer in the US would honor the warr ?
post #15 of 38 Old Jun 30th, 2008, 7:25 am
Bouncer

Quote:
I assume any dealer in the US would honor the warr ?
That should be a yes, but it is easier if your dealer knows how to deal with Pinnacle (or any after-market warranty company). When they know how to deal with the warranty companies, it's a lot less work on your part to manage the warranty process.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #16 of 38 Old Jun 30th, 2008, 7:57 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the input eljeffe. I've heard good things about pinnacle, hoping to find a little better price. I'll list the dealers in SW Florida after I hear back from Barb at pinnacle,maybe it will help myself & others to make an informed decision & provide pricing options.
post #17 of 38 Old Jun 30th, 2008, 11:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKnowles
I'm going to beg to differ on these exrtended warrentied BIG TIME! I have the extended warrenties from Sears for my fridge, freezer, washer, dryer, TV, microwave, etc. etc. etc. and I've gotten more than my money's worth back in return. When my original rear projection TV flaked out after 3 years and Sears could not fix it in a timely fashion, they refunded 100% of the purchase price. That 2K went to a brand new HD plasma TV. When my freezer freaked out because th e9 volt battery died in it, Sears paid for the wasted food and repalced the battery. I've had my microwave repaired under warrenty. Paid for the policy plus even more. Had the stove sparkers fixed, yearly checkups and tuning. Sear's warrenties are worth every d**n penny I paid for them. That's not to say all extended warrenties are worth it, but a Sears warrenty for appliances certainly are!

That's good to hear as that is who I have my policy with and only paid $100. Good until 2012.
That's great that Sears pulled through and covered your appliances - man you had a LOT of stuff break! I never said that Sears warranties were an issue - just that EVERY FREAKIN' time I go to buy something there they hound me about buying them - enough that I'll buy my stuff someplace else since they are SO obnoxious about it. Do I really need to spend $7.95 on a warranty for a $25.00 toaster?

Getting back on track with motor vehicles - extended warranties are a VERY poor choice, at least for cars - unless you drive a Pontiac or Jeep... (and one could easily extrapolate that the same is true regarding motorcycles.)

Have a look at the chart below compiled by Consumer Reports, probably the only statistical analysis available:

On the flip side here's the spin from the trade group representing these rip off artists:

http://www.go-scic.com/insidepages/top5.cfm

I've never seen so much bull hockey in my entire life.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	warranties.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	18567  

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Jun 30th, 2008 at 1:11 pm.
post #18 of 38 Old Jun 30th, 2008, 12:10 pm

Quote:
I assume any dealer in the US would honor the warr ?
When my final drive went out in Denver on my way back from CCR 2005(?), the dealer said that they never heard of them. I ended up paying with credit card and submitted a claim to pinnacle with a letter stating that it was a holiday weekend, I tried contacting them, I was 1200 miles from home, and that it was fixed immediately. Pinnacle issued a check to reimburse me with no problems. Usually pinnacle wants to send someone out to look at what is broke before authorizing any repairs. I also had BMW roadside towing in which I tried contacting them without success. They also reimbursed me for towing charges.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #19 of 38 Old Jun 30th, 2008, 1:29 pm Thread Starter

M Trevelino, that speaks well about the integrity of the company. Good to hear positive news.
post #20 of 38 Old Jun 30th, 2008, 3:04 pm

Quote:
Getting back on track with motor vehicles - extended warranties are a VERY poor choice, at least for cars - unless you drive a Pontiac or Jeep... (and one could easily extrapolate that the same is true regarding motorcycles.)
I'd have to agree, for the most part, that extended warrenties for cars are pretty worthless. Nevertheless I did buy an extended warrenty for the battery of my Ford Escape Hybrid. The warrenty is good for 8 years. I expect I'll need it somewhere along the way. And replacing the battery in a hybrid is a very expensive part.

For my LT, I would not have bought the motorcycle at all without a factory and extended warrenty. Too many instances of failure for me to be comfortable witht he purchase without the warrenty. Doesn't matter if I use it or not, I bought it more for the piece of mind in case of a failure. Of course, I also bought a used LT. A new one may have been a different scenario.

But take a look on th eboards for people that bought used. Soem get great results. Some do not! I was unwilling to risk that on a used purchase. To be honest, I've already recovered 3 ~ 4K using my remaining factory warrenty in just the 6 months I've had the motorcycle. If my extended warrenty covers one repair, it too will have paid for itself. And I do sleep well at night knowing my motorcycle is under warrenty.

post #21 of 38 Old Jun 30th, 2008, 10:13 pm

the buzz on the wire is that BMW is looking to offer a factory ext. warranty in the very near future. Heard this thru my dealer recently.

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #22 of 38 Old Jul 1st, 2008, 12:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian
the buzz on the wire is that BMW is looking to offer a factory ext. warranty in the very near future. Heard this thru my dealer recently.

F
Some bean counter for BMW corporate is sitting there thinking:

"..and why not keep the "extended factory warranty" outrageous profits in-house instead of farming them out to third parties? Sounds like a good plan to me. We can make more profit on the warranty then the product itself! Not only that, we can make it even harder for our customers to make claims on the original warranty - just like we did with rear drives that should typically last 100K miles!! "

If BMW truly believed that their products were as good as the claim they would offer a standard longer factory warranty when you buy one or their products in the first place.

The simple fact is that "extended warranties" are nothing but fear inducing scams cleverly marketed to prey on consumers. Hell, they aren't even warranties - they are "service contracts".

The standard line is: "Hey - this "warranty" is a BARGAIN since only ONE repair (of our defective products) could wipe you out financially since it costs so MUCH for one of our very special proprietary components to replace, not too mention the labor fees!"

...and anyone that falls victim to one of these scams deserves to be:

RIPPED OFF!

Any of you guys that think that this is a good investment need to smell the coffee and wake up.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #23 of 38 Old Jul 1st, 2008, 12:47 am

Ron,

Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel about extended warrenties!

But seriously, while you may not approve of them, others like myself will continue to purchase them and be happy that we've done so. Even if I don't use the extended warernty, it's a big help when it comes time to sell the motorcycle too. Extended warrenties are transferrable, and a smart buyer will take that in to consideration when comparing two identical motorcycles he's considering purchasing and often buy the one with the extended warrenty.

And I'll be honest, nothing you have posted has even remotely changed my mind about purchasing one for my motorcycle. And if BMW were to offer an extended warrenty you can bet I'd have purchased that one instead. As I've pointed out, my factory warrenty has already saved me 3 ~ 4K in repair bills for minor issues (radio, reverse gear not plugged in properly after the 18K service, and a rear rotor replacement under a service bulletin).

I personally think anyone that doesn't buy an extended warrenty on a used motorcycle is the one taking the risk of impending doom and sleepless nights worrying about what the next day might bring in the round of unexpected rapairs. Just take a look around on the forum. Ask Yechave how he feels about his motorcycle and unexpected repairs. I bet he would have been happier if he had an extended warrenty that took care of some of the repair bills.

post #24 of 38 Old Jul 1st, 2008, 10:37 am

When My rear seal started leaking and i took bike to MAX in NY, "RPMone" said to the Service manager let us know what you find. They found a a leaking output seal and a dinged up drive shaft. Total cost 1200 ish. Cost of warranty 995.00 No sales tax in OR. Now for unlimited miles till 2013 every problem is covered. no deductions, no co-pay, and no milage restrictions. According to Tom at Eugene, OR these people also offer a warranty on Out-of-warranty bikes as well.

Seal problem discovered at 36500 ish miles. point being these are just machines and they break. My extended warranty will fix them.

Peace of mind priceless

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #25 of 38 Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 1:33 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Some bean counter for BMW corporate is sitting there thinking:

"..and why not keep the "extended factory warranty" outrageous profits in-house instead of farming them out to third parties? Sounds like a good plan to me. We can make more profit on the warranty then the product itself! Not only that, we can make it even harder for our customers to make claims on the original warranty - just like we did with rear drives that should typically last 100K miles!! "

If BMW truly believed that their products were as good as the claim they would offer a standard longer factory warranty when you buy one or their products in the first place.

The simple fact is that "extended warranties" are nothing but fear inducing scams cleverly marketed to prey on consumers. Hell, they aren't even warranties - they are "service contracts".

The standard line is: "Hey - this "warranty" is a BARGAIN since only ONE repair (of our defective products) could wipe you out financially since it costs so MUCH for one of our very special proprietary components to replace, not too mention the labor fees!"

...and anyone that falls victim to one of these scams deserves to be:

RIPPED OFF!

Any of you guys that think that this is a good investment need to smell the coffee and wake up.
I think you need to dail it back a bit. If you read the other posts in this thread there are actual examples from people here who have had the extended coverage save them a lot of money.

It's just insurance. Do you have car, bike, home, life, boat insurance?? How many Thou$ands have you spent on those?? Have you been RIPPED OFF??? Which insurance are you more likely to use??

It's just a product for sale, not unlike seats. If someone doesn't like the quality of your seats or doesn't see the benefit of them are they being RIPPED OFF??? I don't think so...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #26 of 38 Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 8:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiwan
Now for unlimited miles till 2013 every problem is covered. no deductions, no co-pay, and no milage restrictions.
I didn't know they offered unlimited mileage warranties. Mine is only good to 100,000 miles, no time frame on the years.

Greg and Melanie

06 BMW K12LT "WANDRR"
05 DL1000 "WNDRR2"

WANDRR Motorcycle Tours

ITS ALL ABOUT THE RIDE
post #27 of 38 Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred
I think you need to dail it back a bit. If you read the other posts in this thread there are actual examples from people here who have had the extended coverage save them a lot of money.

It's just insurance. Do you have car, bike, home, life, boat insurance?? How many Thou$ands have you spent on those?? Have you been RIPPED OFF??? Which insurance are you more likely to use??

It's just a product for sale, not unlike seats. If someone doesn't like the quality of your seats or doesn't see the benefit of them are they being RIPPED OFF??? I don't think so...
Really - dial it back? I call 'em like I see 'em and this "product" just plain stinks.

I sure as hell don't need any lecture from a COMMISSIONED SALES PERSON that has EVERYTHING to gain from selling these contracts on a daily basis.

It's not insurance or a warranty - it's a "service contract" - and it has plenty of exclusions in the contract that allow the "Insurer" an easy escape from paying on a claim.

Here's just a RECENT example of the scam reported today by a fellow member:

"The bike is out of warranty with 50,00 miles on it. The extended warranty that I bought from Pinnicle does not cover (the hydraulic centerstand) that part."

www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37521

This is just freakin' great - they pay for small miscellaneous claims that don't really cost much -the nickles and dimes - so they can say what wonderful people they are - but when it comes to the BIG bucks they duck and run. Reminds me of BMW dealers!

.... that's why I call'em rip offs.

So - all you BELIEVERS - what do you think about this poor guy - out over (EASILY) $1K since his warranty company says his hydraulic center stand is an exclusion and NOT COVERED:

Still a good deal?

...and besides that - who the hell is talking about seats here??? Stay on topic or go away.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Jul 2nd, 2008 at 11:39 pm.
post #28 of 38 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 2:08 am
BMW Guru

Quote:
Really - dial it back? I call 'em like I see 'em and this "product" just plain stinks.

I sure as hell don't need any lecture from a COMMISSIONED SALES PERSON that has EVERYTHING to gain from selling these contracts on a daily basis.

It's not insurance or a warranty - it's a "service contract" - and it has plenty of exclusions in the contract that allow the "Insurer" an easy escape from paying on a claim.

"The bike is out of warranty with 50,00 miles on it. The extended warranty that I bought from Pinnicle does not cover (the hydraulic centerstand) that part."

This is just freakin' great - they pay for small miscellaneous claims that don't really cost much -the nickles and dimes - so they can say what wonderful people they are - but when it comes to the BIG bucks they duck and run. Reminds me of BMW dealers!

So - all you BELIEVERS - what do you think about this poor guy - out over (EASILY) $1K since his warranty company says his hydraulic center stand is an exclusion and NOT COVERED:

Still a good deal?

...and besides that - who the hell is talking about seats here??? Stay on topic or go away.

Wow Ron, you could be a little more civil. I thought I was very nice in my reply.

I'd guess if you started a poll there would be more people pleased that they purchased the coverage than not. It's too bad that the center stand wasn't covered though

BTW I'm not lecturing you, just voicing my opinion as is my right to do. I did not go off on a tirade.

I have purchased the extended coverage on all 5 BMW's I've owned. In the end I'm ahead money so far.

So what if I make money selling bikes and related products?? If there was a thread about seats I'm sure you'd chime in and no one would attack you for discussing your product and it's benefits (you're on commission too)

I was simple making an analogy that I thought you could relate to.

Peace out.

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #29 of 38 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 2:22 am

[QUOTE=BMWWANDRR]I didn't know they offered unlimited mileage warranties. Mine is only good to 100,000 miles, no time frame on the years.[/QUOTEl]

My 02 has 7 yr unlimited miles included as a demo model. Still under warranty.

Tom Austen
02 LTC
Aromas, CA. (near Santa Cruz)
post #30 of 38 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 2:36 am

Just say NO if you don't want it, I don't buy ext warranties as said before high mark up for the seller. Although as said, some sleep better with the comfort of the so-called insurance. As I posted earlier my demo came with a good warranty, never used yet (2 yrs to go) for major repair. Dave Shealy used his ext along with several others here. Like a gamble I would say.

Tom Austen
02 LTC
Aromas, CA. (near Santa Cruz)
post #31 of 38 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 7:28 am

Thumbs down RE: Seatman's flames

Holy feces, Batman - err, Seatman
Your rant on Sears is pretty well justified, but in reality, the sales people probably feel pretty lame pitching it. Their employer for requires them to mention it.
But, Seatman, shouldn't you review your meds, as it seems that something's not quite right there in ole Seatville...

Quote:

Still a good deal?

Steamboat John
Magnesium Black 2006 K1200LT

Honda Ridgeline
Dean Ti 29r Mtn bike with XTR group
Dean Ti Road Bike with Dura Ace group
post #32 of 38 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 7:40 am

Wink Re: Seatman's flames

This is a cute smiley, I would have used this one, as I thought it was pretty appropriate to reply to Ron's rant(s) with it.

Steamboat John
Magnesium Black 2006 K1200LT

Honda Ridgeline
Dean Ti 29r Mtn bike with XTR group
Dean Ti Road Bike with Dura Ace group
post #33 of 38 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 8:18 am Thread Starter

Just an update from the user who started this freight train . I have since purchased a pinnacle 3 year extended warr at a much better price than I was quoted before I started this thread. A big thankyou to those who helped. If after three years I have not used the warr, I will have no regrets. If I should sell the bike before the warr ends, the resale value will be better & the bike will be more attractive to a perspective buyer. So all in all I'm very happy with my warr for a number of reasons , for me the reasons to have a warr surrpassed the reasons not to. Thanks, rbots. P.S. blood pressure meds are now available to the general public. Ride Safe!
post #34 of 38 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 8:18 am

Re: Seatman's flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboatjohn

This is a cute smiley, I would have used this one, as I thought it was pretty appropriate to reply to Ron's rant(s) with it.
Works for me!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #35 of 38 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:30 am

[color=Blue][size=3][size=2][color=Black]www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37521

That was my quote. The BMW warranty is out at 36,000 miles. Pinnacle warranty is still in force. I already had a rear main seal and the radio replaced at BMW of daytona with NO!!! problems. $25.00 co-pay. No questions asked. It paid for itself plus extra with only 40,000 miles on the bike. I have more of a problem with the BMW problems not acknowledged by the factory. I have another drive shaft bike with 80,000 miles on it, very little maintence, and NO problems. Its a metric bike. I love the BMW, thats why I ride it. But the Germans need to learn something from the Japanese manufactuers, build a more reliable bike and stand behind major problems.

Greg and Melanie

06 BMW K12LT "WANDRR"
05 DL1000 "WNDRR2"

WANDRR Motorcycle Tours

ITS ALL ABOUT THE RIDE

Last edited by BMWWANDRR; Jul 3rd, 2008 at 10:32 am. Reason: Spell check
post #36 of 38 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 12:41 pm

Quote:
Just an update from the user who started this freight train . I have since purchased a pinnacle 3 year extended warr at a much better price than I was quoted before I started this thread. A big thankyou to those who helped. If after three years I have not used the warr, I will have no regrets. If I should sell the bike before the warr ends, the resale value will be better & the bike will be more attractive to a perspective buyer. So all in all I'm very happy with my warr for a number of reasons , for me the reasons to have a warr surrpassed the reasons not to. Thanks, rbots. P.S. blood pressure meds are now available to the general public. Ride Safe!
Can you give us some details, such as where you bought it and what they charged you? Thx!
My factory warranty expires in August, just before CCR...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #37 of 38 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 1:39 pm

Hi folks!
I just got a quote from a company in Arizona called MBA direct .com for an extended warranty on the BMW that I will pick up next Monday. they quoted
me 2 years $780.00 3 years $910.00 4 years $ 1040. Surcharges were:
cooling system $ 75.00
seals and gaskets $50.00
Touring bike $200.00
all with a $25.00 deductable per occurance.
You can get all the details at mbadirect.com.
I did a check at the BBB of Arizona and they seemed to check out ok.
I am not sure whether I will even go for the extended warranty but I thought I'd pass along what I found out. I am going to check with BMW here in Canada to see what their prices are like for the Ext. Warranty.
I have a copy of the policy if anyone wants to look at it. Send me your email and I will forward it to you.
Take care
Jim
post #38 of 38 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 8:54 pm

I'm with Ron on this.

Most extended warranties are a rip. Paid for a lot of them in my younger day and rarely used them, when I did use them, always ended up with a hassle of some kind, most often from Sears.

Wife is good at turning the sales pitch for them off. Asks the sales person if the original warranty isn't good enough or is this product so bad it needs an extended warranty. Once a sales person implied that if we did not purchase an extended warranty, we would be at the "back of the list" for regular warranty should we ever need it. We got up, took our down payment check and walked.

We bought a MH a number of years ago, an extended warranty would have been right at $125 a month. Never had need of it. In a 5 year period, we would have just wasted $7500 away. Think of the farkles you could finance with that.

B D R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in