mirrors - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jun 28th, 2008, 7:04 pm Thread Starter

mirrors

Who has mirror on their handlebar. Thinking about getting a set for my LT.Do they give you a better view?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jun 28th, 2008, 7:12 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: mirrors

Yes and they give you a place to set your helmet.

I waited four years before I bought a set (that was really dumb). They give you about twice the view area behind you that the stock mirrors do. The stock mirrors are great for looking at you trailer tires but that is about it.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old Jun 28th, 2008, 8:18 pm

I put the newer style RS mirrors on and really like them. With the LT I didn't like looking away from the road when looking in the mirrors the problem is that the LT's handlebars are very wide and where the RS mirrors fit you still have to take yours eyes off the road, but it is an improvement.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350

post #4 of 12 Old Jun 28th, 2008, 10:46 pm

I had no problem with the stock mirrors. Same viewpoint as my last bike (PC800).

After reading this forum and watching a set of RS mirrors going very cheap on eBay I bid & won. Man, what a difference. I never look in the stock mirrors anymore, except to see if my fiancee is still back there (see her legs great in the stock mirrors.

Don't necessarily like the look as it detracts from the slippery styling, and it takes up the hole where the GPS mount was but I'm keeping them.

Recommended by me.

Rick
'01 LT
post #5 of 12 Old Jun 28th, 2008, 11:09 pm

I've mounted the Saeng Quick Scans on the winglets at the base of my windshield.
Works great.

saeng.com/2618.htm
post #6 of 12 Old Jun 29th, 2008, 2:03 am

I've never quite understood the problem with the mirrors that people have, but it must be ergonomics in action. I say this because both my RT & LT mirrors are perfectly laid out for me. I see just a hint of the side cases and the rest is the traffic behind me. And I still have room for adjustment (outward) if I choose too, but I like it the way I have it set.

No matter how good the mirror is though, I always check my blind spot before changing lanes.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #7 of 12 Old Jun 29th, 2008, 2:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT_Pilot
I've mounted the Saeng Quick Scans on the winglets at the base of my windshield.
Works great.

saeng.com/2618.htm
I feel the stock mirrors are somewhat OK, until the SQ scans are installed on the winglets. I've had them for years huge difference, I can see 3 lanes left or right without turning the head. Well worth the $$ as they are pricey. I would find it hard to ride without them today....

Tom Austen
02 LTC
Aromas, CA. (near Santa Cruz)
post #8 of 12 Old Jun 29th, 2008, 10:02 am

I installed the mirrors shortly after we bought the bike. At first it was because the S.O. didn't like the position of the stock mirrors because she couldn't see behind us. Since she has been riding her own most of her life and, since we got rear ended in 2001, she likes to see behind us. I love having the extra view when pulling the trailer. I never need to adjust the mirrors anymore. I have a great viewing area and she can see behind us. I use both mirrors all the time. I went on a test ride to try out a different seat on another bike and I couldn't believe how limited the view was with the stock mirrors. He also had the convex mirrors on the stock ones and they didn't do as much for improving the view as the RS mirrors. It's like having four wheel drive. Once you have it, you won't be without it. I first heard about the RS mirrors on this site. If you are ever in the area, you can ride mine to see the improvement. But remember it's different strokes for different folks.

2Wheelroadtrip (Barney)
03 LTC
82 Aspencade
Time Out camper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's not where we go. It's that we go.

The information from this site and its members has proven to be invaluable again.
post #9 of 12 Old Jun 29th, 2008, 12:31 pm

I thought the stock mirros were simply dangerous. I put on the RS mirros a week after I got the LT and never use the stock ones any more. Even in the best case the stock mirrors have a blind spot on both sides and seing directly behind you is simply impossible. They also seem to need constant adjustment for some reason. Try doing that at 80 MPH without leaving the road. Scary!

The RS mirrors give you a perfect view behind you. The difference was like riding with one eye closed vs both eyes open. Those who haven't tried them may fail to see the need until they put a set on.
post #10 of 12 Old Jun 29th, 2008, 6:26 pm Thread Starter

thankyou for all your input
post #11 of 12 Old Jun 29th, 2008, 9:03 pm

I just thought you would like to know that there are 2 different mirrors that will fit in the same hole. There are the ones that are oval shaped and those that are round. The round ones have a single shaft up to the mirror. I think they come from the GS bikes. The other one has a split in the shaft and the oval mirror. I think these come off the RS bikes. Look at them both on your bike before you buy them to see what you like the best.

2Wheelroadtrip (Barney)
03 LTC
82 Aspencade
Time Out camper

It's not where we go. It's that we go.

The information from this site and its members has proven to be invaluable again.
post #12 of 12 Old Jun 30th, 2008, 12:11 pm

Count me among the crazy folks that think the stock mirrors are Dangerous. I too installed the RS mirrors and WOW what a difference. Yikes I can see again ... what's behind me and beside me. Again, I am a recovering HD rider and maybe that might be the reason for my need for mirrors (and without chrome) ... hows is that possible but with RS mirrors.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in