Oil change observations & pics of FD plug - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jun 27th, 2008, 7:34 pm Thread Starter

Oil change observations & pics of FD plug

Having had a traumatic dental surgery yesterday, last thing I wanted was to work on the LT this week, more so after the battery died on our ride just hours before the surgery.

Two buddies came by for some accessory install and assistance (forgot to take pics of the new Triumph), so I had my tools out, didn't look like rain.. I figured if not now, when? Got some old clothes on, and got to it. Wow, was it humid today.

I was not looking forward to this, and had no intention of attempting to get the bike on the center stand for the job. Here's how it went:

Assumed the plastic liner in the drain pain, would not leak. Don't assume anything! Good thing I used the pan.

Thankfully, we spent the extra bucks for a good torque wrench, or sure as heck I would have over tightened a couple of bolts.

Felt well prepared with funnels, more so for the FD. Again, assume nothing. They didn't fit. Made do with plastic tubing and patience as the oil ran into the housing.

No matter how hard you try, oil is going to get on the ground somewhere.

I read a couple posts with guys having to use screwdrivers.......to remove the oil filters. Started to get squeamish when I got to the filter. Even more so putting the new one in, and finding the wrench did not want to come off.

Trying not to blow out my sutures, I made it though the two fluid changes, not prepared to say quite how long that all took.

http://www.sendpix.com/albums/08062717/u1fl32305d/

Take a look at the FD drain plug pics, LMK if that is not normal. No chunks however.

I wrote to BMW NA about my stalling and the temp sensor bulletin/Motronic replacement that had been offered, six years ago, and asked why it was not done when the previous owners brought the bike in for servicing by the dealers. Won't go into the conversation with BMW, but the local dealer e-mailed today and said bring it in for testing.

Waiting for the new battery to arrive, hope to have it tested next week, if possible.

Damn glad I got the Paul Sayegh service dvd's. I would have not tackled any work on this bike without them. Thank you Paul!!

Be more than happy to pay the dealer $45 to do the oil changes next time. For more than a few reasons, it was worth learning how to do it, but time could be better spent having it done once or twice a year.

Sure would have been a hell of a lot easier with a garage.

Hope to get at least 60k on the bike (15k to go). Bike can then go in for a major service, valves, plugs, fluids etc.

The other pic is there to scare the crap out of anyone that needs to go for dental surgery! Twice with this guy was enough for one lifetime. Have to wonder if he didn't choose the wrong profession.

Hope to be up and running next week. Have a happy and safe July 4th Holiday!

~;^/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jun 27th, 2008, 9:46 pm

Re: Oil change observations & pics of FD plug

That looks like just normal ware on the plug to me. On the jet engines that is considered normal just as long as it is not flaking or chuncking out.

JM2C

Gabe
post #3 of 7 Old Jun 27th, 2008, 11:27 pm

Thats what mine looked like @ 547 mi. change

post #4 of 7 Old Jun 28th, 2008, 8:39 am Thread Starter

That makes me feel better. Engine oil was very black. I hear the LT starts running well with mileage in the mid 40k's. Should be due for a great ride any day now!

Thanks~
post #5 of 7 Old Jun 28th, 2008, 9:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by yechave
Having had a traumatic dental surgery yesterday, last thing I wanted was to work on the LT this week, more so after the battery died on our ride just hours before the surgery.

Two buddies came by for some accessory install and assistance (forgot to take pics of the new Triumph), so I had my tools out, didn't look like rain.. I figured if not now, when? Got some old clothes on, and got to it. Wow, was it humid today.

I was not looking forward to this, and had no intention of attempting to get the bike on the center stand for the job. Here's how it went:

Assumed the plastic liner in the drain pain, would not leak. Don't assume anything! Good thing I used the pan.

Thankfully, we spent the extra bucks for a good torque wrench, or sure as heck I would have over tightened a couple of bolts.

Felt well prepared with funnels, more so for the FD. Again, assume nothing. They didn't fit. Made do with plastic tubing and patience as the oil ran into the housing.

No matter how hard you try, oil is going to get on the ground somewhere.

I read a couple posts with guys having to use screwdrivers.......to remove the oil filters. Started to get squeamish when I got to the filter. Even more so putting the new one in, and finding the wrench did not want to come off.

Trying not to blow out my sutures, I made it though the two fluid changes, not prepared to say quite how long that all took.

http://www.sendpix.com/albums/08062717/u1fl32305d/

Take a look at the FD drain plug pics, LMK if that is not normal. No chunks however.

I wrote to BMW NA about my stalling and the temp sensor bulletin/Motronic replacement that had been offered, six years ago, and asked why it was not done when the previous owners brought the bike in for servicing by the dealers. Won't go into the conversation with BMW, but the local dealer e-mailed today and said bring it in for testing.

Waiting for the new battery to arrive, hope to have it tested next week, if possible.

Damn glad I got the Paul Sayegh service dvd's. I would have not tackled any work on this bike without them. Thank you Paul!!

Be more than happy to pay the dealer $45 to do the oil changes next time. For more than a few reasons, it was worth learning how to do it, but time could be better spent having it done once or twice a year.

Sure would have been a hell of a lot easier with a garage.

Hope to get at least 60k on the bike (15k to go). Bike can then go in for a major service, valves, plugs, fluids etc.

The other pic is there to scare the crap out of anyone that needs to go for dental surgery! Twice with this guy was enough for one lifetime. Have to wonder if he didn't choose the wrong profession.

Hope to be up and running next week. Have a happy and safe July 4th Holiday!

~;^/
I just finished a complete fluid change on mine, did the coolant too.
Your view of the FD drain plug looked like mine.
I got this bike in December of 2008 with a total of 13K. Just turned 24K on the odometer and getting ready for a 6800 mile road trip in August through September.
Getting rid of the Avon Storms I have now, got about 2K on the front tire and then it started acting strange, front end was not stable at all!
Never experienced that with the OEM Bridgstones.
Going for the ME880's for this trip.

2003 Black
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
K1200LTC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Garmin 450
XM Radio
Video Camera Mount
Fender Mount Driving Lights
Autocom Super Pro AVi
Saddlebag LED Lights

Bakup Backrest
Grip Puppies
VStream Windscreen
Muth Mirrors
2008 Bushtec

post #6 of 7 Old Jun 28th, 2008, 9:31 am

That's the first time I've seen a pic of someone's recent oral surgery posted to this board LOL.
Pic of the FD drain plug looks normal to me.
Pic of the extraction site looks normal to me too, but getting a stable blood clot in a lower molar ext. site is important because of risk for an osteitis (dry socket). Pamper the extraction site for a few days, ride the KLT "like you stole it".
post #7 of 7 Old Jun 28th, 2008, 5:45 pm Thread Starter

The surgery was a follow up to the extraction for two teeth three months ago. Left a huge section of bone protruding from the jaw, inside and out. Neither surgery went well.

This all started after 25 years of unexplained dental pain and countless visits to numerous dental offices, along with one painful attempt after another to fix the problem.

The Best, most educated guess is, and backed by $6k in tests and surgery last year indicates it was a result of having my wisdom teeth removed in the military in 1975. Check out Dockeller.com for info.

Left 12mm holes in my jaw in three locations. Surgeon that did the first operation stated it was full of infected matter, decades later. Also suspected of causing cancer, which I was diagnosed with in 99. Have great pics of that surgery!

Much easier to discuss the issues with the LT, and less expensive. Believe it, or not!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in