Harley to BMW - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 Old Dec 26th, 2005, 11:39 am Thread Starter

Harley to BMW

I'm thinking of trading my HD Electra Glide for a K1200 LT. Has anyone else done this and what are your thoughts? Also does anyone have input on the best BMW dealer in the Phoenix area?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old Dec 26th, 2005, 12:22 pm

I Did

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippol
I'm thinking of trading my HD Electra Glide for a K1200 LT. Has anyone else done this and what are your thoughts? Also does anyone have input on the best BMW dealer in the Phoenix area?
I have a HD Road King 2001, Purchased a 2002 K1200LT, In one word,,,,Its the best bike I ever had, its so different, it doesn’t have the HD bad boy look, it doesn’t come with the HD glitter clothing style, ( style before function ) NO Glitter infrastructure, No Blind mass following. But the k1200lt is in my opinion the best machine for my style of riding...enjoyable riding! Fun Riding! Pleasurable riding!

But you need to find out for yourself...Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Renzo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 44 Old Dec 26th, 2005, 12:29 pm

Eight months after buying my LT, in early '03 my brother made the exact switch that you are contemplating. He's not on the forum, so I guess I'll speak for him.

I guess the best thing I can do is quote him. I was at his house last Friday for a party and he said, "That LT will probably be the last bike I ever own.". I guess that says a lot, doesn't it?

He has some issues in his groin area (lymph nodes?) and he could only stand to ride the HD for about 30 minutes at a time. He can ride the LT for about 2 hours before he starts to feel any pain. He also is amazed at the smoothness of the LT. Also, he continually comments about the difference in the clutch feel.

The last point I'd make about his "transformation" is . . . One evening I was riding next to him with his wife on the back of his bike. The sun went down and it started getting pretty chilly. We stopped to give him a little break and I offered for his wife to ride with me...higher windshield and heated seats and all. That was the LAST time she ever rode that Harley. I think she likes the LT just as much as he does.

post #4 of 44 Old Dec 26th, 2005, 12:37 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Lots of folks here have switched. As to dealers; IMHO Iron Horse in Tuscon is the best in AZ, good web site, great service, good sales staff. Scottsdale's pretty good. At those two you can talk to and deal directly with the owners. The one in Chandler, which is part of a mega-dealer network in the Valley, I wouldn't recommend under any circumstance. All in all, the trip to Tucson is worth the ride, especially if you're on an LT.

Motor On ,/'

post #5 of 44 Old Dec 26th, 2005, 12:53 pm

HD to BMW LT

I've been a HD/Cruiser guy for the last 20+ years. Three years ago I bought a Triumph Trophy (sport touring) to ride back and forth to work because I didn't want to leave my new HD (03 Heritage Springer FLSTSI) in the parking lot and exposed to weather. Prior to buying the Trophy, I was an "owner" and not a "rider". After a year or two of riding the Triumph every day and going on a few long touring rides with some sport touring buddies I transitioned from an owner to a rider and now ride 12-15K miles per year. On my last bike week event (Laconia 05), I trailered a HD and the Triumph from VA to NH. I ended up riding the Triumph every day due to a week of crappy weather and enjoyed a great week of riding. My HD buddies were miserable all week.

Your probably starting to get the point. In time it literally became unsafe for me to ride a HD after spending so many miles on the Triumph. On more than one occasion I came close to dumping the HD, because braking and handling was so inferior to the Triumph and I hadn't made the mental shift in what to expect out of the machine prior to hopping on the HD.

Come early summer, I was asking myself everyday why I continued to let a $24K bike sit in the garage. It was beautiful to look at, but definitely wasn't being ridden. I convinced myself I could sell the HD and get an incredible sport touring bike with latest technology (ABS, FI, Cruise, heated grips/seats, etc..) I have several sport touring buddies that provided a smorgasbord of choices for me (BMW LT/RT/GT, Yam FZR and Honda ST).

I sold the HD and bought a one year old K1200GT from the local dealer. After selling the HD and buying the GT I still had plenty of money left and ended up buying a low milage LT. I ride the GT everyday to work and hop on the LT every chance I get for the fun rides (short or long distance).

The LT was a little intimidating at first with it's high center of gravity, but I just took it easy and built my confidence. After 3-4 thousand miles and two trips to the Blue Ridge, the LT and I are like one. I find the LT as easy to throw around on the twisties as the GT.

Bottom line from a guy who has owned many and has loved HD's for the vast part of his life; If you plan to be a rider, you will not be disappointed with your decision to trade your HD for a LT. Don't get me wrong, I still love HD's and plan to get a project HD in the near future, but IMO there is no comparison between any cruiser and a well designed sport/luxury touring bike like the BMWs. It's like comparing apples and oranges in four major categories, where the LT wins hands down for 1) long range comfort, 2) handling (i.e. cornering), 3) breaking and 4) acceleration.

One man's opinion. Enjoy!
post #6 of 44 Old Dec 26th, 2005, 2:44 pm

The hardest part for me was to learn to sit instead of ride splayed out. I really didn't like the BMW when I first bought her, did it for Sandar the mag, but fell in love quickly and now you couldn't pry me from her.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #7 of 44 Old Dec 26th, 2005, 5:02 pm

"Rider versus owner"

I like that terminology, it says a lot.

(tongue in cheek follows

Premise: Harleys are safer.
Reason: You just can't ride a Hardly as fast as you can comfortably ride an LT. So if you hit something with a Hardly, you'll probably be going slower than if you were on a KLT. Therefore: HD is safer.

Nothing wrong with sitting back in western riding style, feet out in front, with the bike going Thud, Thud, Thud under you. I'd really like to have a HD someday. It is on my list. But first I have to get the Triumph, Moto Guzzi, another old Beemer or two, an old Snortin' Norton project, a GoldWing (that's pretty far down the list), a bigger barn to put them all in, and then I'd be ready to get a HD. I'd like one made in the 1950's with the shift on the left side of the tank; I think its called a FLTHDLT-BC softhardtail-Glide (but then I have never figured out HD nomenclature).

Just trying to be funny here. The LT is an amazing bike. You'll like it.
post #8 of 44 Old Dec 26th, 2005, 6:03 pm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
Nothing wrong with sitting back in western riding style, feet out in front, with the bike going Thud, Thud, Thud under you. I'd really like to have a HD someday. It is on my list. But first...
I completely agree. SOMEday...I'll have my LT, a sport-tourer or two, some totally naked & radical street hooligan, a full-blown race replica, an old 70s naked GoldWing, and an old Harley Fat Boy...Chrome & White w/ white ghost flames. And horns so loud that it'll blow the clothes . . . . er . . . . never mind. (see 'The Italian Job' for that reference.)
post #9 of 44 Old Dec 26th, 2005, 6:19 pm

Go for a '05 or '06

I had been looking at the LT's for several years after putting about 1,000 miles on a buddies '00 back in '01 but didn't like the low speed handling and the seat height, I really enjoyed all other aspects of the bike and kept my eye on them.

In '05 BMW addressed both my concerns with new front end geometry and a narrower seat front which puts me flat footed. A buddy bought one on my recommendation a several weeks later I brought one home.

The LT is very top heavy compared to the Ultra but I am able to do a pretty tight u-turn with both feet on the pegs. The LT as NO low rpm torque this was the most difficult thing to adjust to but the '05 LT has 116hp and plenty of torque in the power band. The LT will cruise all day at 80+ and not even break a sweat and at the end of the day you want to just keep riding.

You can really lean into the corners with the LT great for my fun factor, not so good for Kaye. She really had a hard time getting comfortable with the added seat height and the added lean in the corners. She really likes the bike but feels more secure on the Ultra at speed.

Kaye is to stranger to peg dragin' this is just her honest feeling

I have to agree with one of the previous posts - best bike I have ever owned - so far and I've been riding bikes since '68.

Dave

BMWMOA #120588
website has been hacked - down for now
Riding since '65 - 30+ bikes (lost count)
Current Stable:
'06 R12GS Adv, '98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman, '53 Panhead
2009-2010 KxxxxLT or whenever BMW updates the platform

post #10 of 44 Old Dec 26th, 2005, 6:22 pm

Smile

Quote:
I went from a 2000 Ultra Classic stage II 95" in August 2002. No regrets at all in fact good riddens, No Comparison. The only Harley's I have are a 36 VLH and 53 FL, both alot of fun. Good Luck

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #11 of 44 Old Dec 26th, 2005, 6:29 pm

We did the same for a couple of other bikes we looked at.

I choose the LT. I ride it more than I ever rode the HD; much more tolerable when the wx hits 100F, and when it drops below 60F.

You’ll have to develop a different riding style with the LT. Add more throttle when starting in first. Be careful when turning at slooow speed, and stopping—front tire must be straight when you stop.

We looked carefully at the Goldwing. Decided on the LT because the Goldwing roasted my left foot in cross town traffic when temp was in mid 90sF. Plus, Marietta liked the adjustable windshield. All the way down for me solo, all the way up when she was with me.

Bob
post #12 of 44 Old Dec 26th, 2005, 7:33 pm

Quote:
The LT is very top heavy compared to the Ultra but I am able to do a pretty tight u-turn with both feet on the pegs. The LT as NO low rpm torque this was the most difficult thing to adjust to but the '05 LT has 116hp and plenty of torque in the power band. The LT will cruise all day at 80+ and not even break a sweat and at the end of the day you want to just keep riding.
That's IT! You NAILED it!

I've been putting off posting my impressions about my first month with my new '06 LT, mostly because I thought it would be uninteresting and redundant, but, you've described my experience as a new LT owner too.

My plan was to buy the LT and then decide which bike to sell, the '04 Goldwing I still own, or the LT. I'm enjoying the LT to the extent that the GW isn't getting much attention lately. And I'm surprised, because, at first, the LT's very low-speed handling was a put-off. It just takes some getting-used-to. I like it a lot. Handling at speed is simply wonderful - typical BMW.

Last edited by CriticalMass; Dec 26th, 2005 at 7:45 pm.
post #13 of 44 Old Dec 26th, 2005, 7:33 pm

I'm in Phoenix too. The message provided earlier (and below) is correct; I would use them in that order - Tucson, Scottsdale then Chandler. I've used them all depending on the job I needed done, but I use Scottsdale the most for everyday things like parts because of their location (closer than Tucson but further than Chandler).

Lots of folks here have switched. As to dealers; IMHO Iron Horse in Tuscon is the best in AZ, good web site, great service, good sales staff. Scottsdale's pretty good. At those two you can talk to and deal directly with the owners. The one in Chandler, which is part of a mega-dealer network in the Valley, I wouldn't recommend under any circumstance. All in all, the trip to Tucson is worth the ride, especially if you're on an LT
post #14 of 44 Old Dec 26th, 2005, 11:56 pm

Talking Lt Truck vs Farm Implement

I've been riding HD's off & on since I was 17. Went with two friends to BMW dealer in July because one of them was interested in an LT. All three of us have been riding together since we met at the local HOG club in '99. Two of us had no intension of buying one and making the usual jokes that harley riders make about other bikes. Well the dealer turned us lose with the LT for the day. Long story short all three of us bought one when we got back to dealer. I got mine the Friday July 29. The salesman ask me when I wanted to do my 600 mile service I said Monday he said can't do that closed on Monday how about Tuesday. I have 12,000+ miles on it now. I have only ridin the HD once since I got the LT. My signature line kinda sums it up.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy $hit...what a ride"-Mavis Leyrer
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Stienbeck
08 CanAm Spyder "Fast Truck"(Wifes')
08 Kawasaki KLR 650 "Lil Dirt Truck"
05 K1200Lt "Lt Truck"
05 Piaggio X9 Reveloution "Lil Truck"

97 International 4700 "Big Truck"

AMA Life Member
BMWMOA

post #15 of 44 Old Dec 27th, 2005, 12:20 am

Just DO it.

Right answer.. Can the HD. Might have some "comfort" and "lighting" concerns to get squared away, then just ride it!

I rode HD's for 38 years. Good thing they don't want my money anymore.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #16 of 44 Old Dec 27th, 2005, 3:10 am Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for the helpful information. Did not even consider the Tuscon dealer before but will check out the website. I will post when I take delivery. The #1 obstacle right now is building my wife's confidence level since she feels so comfortable on the Electra Glide.
post #17 of 44 Old Dec 27th, 2005, 9:18 am
Cat Herder

Quote:
The #1 obstacle right now is building my wife's confidence level since she feels so comfortable on the Electra Glide.
THAT is usually the easy part: Go for a test ride with her on board. That'll do it. At least in 99% of all cases.
post #18 of 44 Old Dec 27th, 2005, 9:36 am

worked for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
THAT is usually the easy part: Go for a test ride with her on board. That'll do it. At least in 99% of all cases.

I was looking at the RT but got on the LT and said wow. Now how do i convince the wife that she wants to buy me this one rather then the less expensive RT. HMMM, Dealer said go take the LT and bring your wife with you. Dealer gave us a bunch of places to ride to, we only made it down the street to the first traffic light before my wife said ok we will buy this one. I also took her on the RT but she did not like it nearly as much as the LT. Good luck not thaat you will need it.

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #19 of 44 Old Dec 27th, 2005, 10:15 am

murray sent you a PM

pm sent

BMWMOA #120588
website has been hacked - down for now
Riding since '65 - 30+ bikes (lost count)
Current Stable:
'06 R12GS Adv, '98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman, '53 Panhead
2009-2010 KxxxxLT or whenever BMW updates the platform

post #20 of 44 Old Dec 27th, 2005, 10:15 am

Harley to BMW

I still have my 98 FLHTCI it makes a nice garage ornament. There is no comparison between the H.D. & the LT. LT does everything better than the Harley, power, handling, ride quality, even fuel milage. You might miss the noise for a little while but thats about it.

Tom
post #21 of 44 Old Dec 27th, 2005, 10:51 am

so i thought i would add a little diff view point. i put 130k miles on my 93 flhtc before buying/switching to an '02 lt. yes i love the bike, but i dont find the seat as comfortable and the riding position on long rides can be a bit rought on the knees as the angle is much more than on the hd.

when it comes to cold/bad weather, man the lt is the bike hands down.

have to admit, i also have had far more maintance issues with the lt than i ever had with the hd.

i do know that quite a few folks of the hd digest have moved over to various bmw models and seem happy.

just a diff opinion

peace
eric
post #22 of 44 Old Dec 27th, 2005, 11:02 am

At the first of this year I was riding a 2005 Ultra Classic, our 3rd Harley in 4 years. Comfortable ride. On April 8th I bought my LT to try it out. After 2 months with the LT I sold the Ultra. The LT is a fun bike to ride if you love to RIDE and very comfortable for me on long trips. My wife liked the "Harley" because it was a "LOUD HARLEY" not because it was the most comfortable, smoothest, quietest bike. She liked saying "We have a Harley". I have put arm rests, adjustable pegs, $700 seat and she still complains, because it doesn't say Harley on the tank. Oh well. You've got to do what makes you happy. Your driving/riding it.......

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

Jerry P. Hatley

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2009 Harley Roadglide (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
2004 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
1998 Harley Roadking Classic (sold)
post #23 of 44 Old Dec 27th, 2005, 11:46 am

I am also a convert. My last bike was a 1994 Ultra Classic. Put lots of miles and had a blast. Wife liked it and never complained if we burned a full tank of fuel before stopping. I can't really say much about the LT since I am new to it but I really like it so far. I think the hardest thing about making a switch is the local community asking "why". Also, the HD's have the best tee-shirts.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #24 of 44 Old Dec 27th, 2005, 12:20 pm

I had gotten back into riding after a 28 year hiatus by riding my son in law's Harley Soft Tail Heritage while they were stationed in Korea. My wife had gone on several local rides with me. When we decided it was time to buy my own bike again, I settled on the LT.

On the first ride we took on it, my wife said she liked it, but that "It did not sound like a motorcycle".

That was just fine with me, as I did not like the louder than stock pipes he had on it anyway.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #25 of 44 Old Dec 27th, 2005, 2:08 pm

This is your brain..

This pretty much says it.. it's all in good clean fun, y'all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BrainShirtBlack.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	1326  

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #26 of 44 Old Dec 27th, 2005, 2:25 pm

>> Two of us had no intension of buying one and making the usual jokes that harley riders make about other bikes. Well the dealer turned us lose with the LT for the day. Long story short all three of us bought one when we got back to dealer. <<

That's an awesome quote! I have a good friend who has his and hers harleys. They are nearing the end of their harley phase. He shared that his HOG buddy switched to the LT a few months back. His advice to Trace was,

" Oh man! Don't even go near the Beemer dealer till you're ready to write the check!"

Ride what speaks to you.
post #27 of 44 Old Dec 27th, 2005, 2:59 pm

I've owned a Harley Ultra Classic, along with 4 BMWs. Presently own an 05 LT. There is no comparsion between the Harley and the BMW. The 05 LT that I now have is by far the best bike in the world. The Harley is much better at parking lot speed, but anything over 5 mph the LT wins hands down. You will miss the Harley crowd and clothing and every thing that goes with the Harley Davidson image. But if you want to ride instead of profiling, I'd say go with the LT. Good luck in your decision.
Leon
05 Blue LT
post #28 of 44 Old Dec 27th, 2005, 9:55 pm

When it comes to image. Most BMW riders are riders. Most HD & cruiser riders are not. Yes many of the latter are real riders but if you go by the per capita the real riders, ride BMW's for the most part.

Before I bought my 1st BMW I did the research I wanted to ride

Most used BMWs get sold with lots of miles on them. Most HD's don't

The national average for annual mileage on a bike is 2500 per year. Who on this board puts on so few miles on their LT?

I believe the converts on this board are the exception not the rule.

A good friend of mine rides a HD & a Big Dog A "Big" mileage day for him is 125 miles. I have a standing offer to let him ride the LT. His condition is it must be washed and clean. ( he is very anal about clean bikes & cars) Mine saw 8000 miles and only 3 washings this year. He will have to wait till spring for a test ride. ( live in the Chicago area)

You should buy and ride what you like not what I like and what fits you good. and you must only ride as much as you want to to. it is your money & time!

Mike G
Northen Illinois Packer Fan
K1200lt 2002
LT Trunk Latch Maker
post #29 of 44 Old Dec 27th, 2005, 10:38 pm

Thumbs up I'm in!

Quote:
I did the same thing, only I bought my 2005 LT before selling my 99 FLHTC - it was a good deal and I didn't want to lose it. Let me say these are two completely different worlds. To me, the HD world is all about the "bad guy" image, loud pipes, crappy half-helmets and biker bars. I did that for some time, and for many years I was all about that scene.

However, my Harley let me down several times when I needed it most, and after many spark showers going around tight corners and, ultimately, hitting the back of a Honda Accord because of the 'Glide's old-tech brakes (and of course because I wasn't paying enough attention) - I decided that I either needed to hang it up, or get a bike that would be safer.

That's when I started looking at BMW's. If you haven't been to Jeff Dean's site (http://bmwdean.home.att.net/) you should check it out. In particular, there is an article there on ABS brakes on motorcycles (http://bmwdean.home.att.net/abs.htm) that turned me around from giving up motorcycling to getting a bike with ABS - as well as a change in my life with more of an emphasis on keeping it.

I originally planned to buy an R1200RT, as I have had my eyes on an R1150RT for many years now and they were brand-spanking new. I headed over to Irv Seaver BMW, fully expecting to walk out the proud owner of a new RT, or a used one in good condition. I rode both, and actually after years of riding the Electra-Glide, they seemed to small to me. The R1200RT especially seemed way too small for my 275 lbs - I was not able to find the shift or brake levers without searching with my toes. I was bummed, as my wife poo-pooed the K1200LT as soon as we walked in. "NO WAY am I riding on that thing! It's UGLY! Look at that top trunk!"

Well luckily I decided to veto her and the folks at Irv Seaver graciously dragged a used-but-gorgeous 2005 LT out of the showroom for me to take a ride. I have to admit that I stalled it pulling out of the parking lot. Started right back up, then it was the brakes - very touchy. But, after getting out and making a few turns, doing a U at the end of the street and taking her out into some real traffic - it hit me - this thing is LIKE BUTTER! I fell instantly in love. So smooth, like velvet. Nice power, total comfort, and some very nice handling too. I rode back and told the O.L. to get on the back, and with some protest she complied and we went for a ride.

First thing she mentioned was how comfortable it was. Then, how good the radio sounded. Then, how there was much less wind than on the RT. Sold!

Since then I have been riding "Bertha" (after a Grateful Dead song) every day, and loving it more and more. Sure I know there are some trouble spots that I have read about here on the forums, but every bike's got them, HD's no different. I CAN say that this bike TOTALLY out-performs my 'Glide, even with her Screaming Eagle enhancements. This thing moves, and when you need it to perform, it performs. I have taken turns that used to grind metal every time on the Harley, at 2x the speed with the LT with no signs of touching anything. It also stops on a freaking DIME, a bit noisily but stops assuringly well under all conditions. And if there's a bit of slipperyness under there, the ABS can help greatly unless you're leaned over in a curve.

My recommendation - DO IT! Do it NOW! You will never regret it.

PS - anyone looking for a '99 Electro-Glide Classic in Mystique Green?

OB

Bob OB
Sedona, AZ

'08 R1200RT Sand Beige Metallic
post #30 of 44 Old Dec 27th, 2005, 11:37 pm

Smile

Lippol . . . David Slepak here member of K1200LT.net since '02 and co-owner of BMW Motorcycles of Scottsdale. I invite you to the dealership in North Scottsdale for information on the K1200LT and the opportunity to ride an 06' LT. Both Josh (brother) and I started our BMW riding on K1200LTs and have logged just over 80k between the two of us on this bike . . . I look forward to meeting you soon and welcoming you into the BMW riding community as well as the K1200LT fraternity!

Best,

David Slepak
post #31 of 44 Old Dec 28th, 2005, 12:05 am

I have been riding for 38 years without missing a year and have ridden just about anything that I could get my hands on with 2 wheels and owned many different brands including Italian and Jap bikes.
I still own the same Harley after 25 years and still love the look and sound and feel,
the LT I have had for a little over a year and I think its a great machine and I have put more miles on it in that time than I have on the Harley in the last 5 years and I can ride it most of the year, Even here in the northeast.
I ride very aggressive on anything and I love the power and handling of the LT. These 2 bikes are so different to ride that I have told people that the only thing they have in common is 2 wheels.
Plus in my old age I am only good for about 150 miles a day on the Harley but can easily do 300 on the LT and have done 500 after a short rest and could do more with a better seat as my butt is the only thing that hurts after 300 miles but on the Harley everything hurts.
Plus I live in Harley central "aka" York Pa for those that dont know there is a Harley factory in town and EVERYONE and their sister owns a Harley and I like the fact that I rarely see an LT and it turns heads because no one knows what it is.
I have had a few problems with it like everything I own so I cant say thats I have never had to do anything to it, even though that was what I had hoped when I bought it.
So just ride what feels good to you and your style of riding and decide what you want out of a bike and the hell with everyone else.
I little long winded but just my $.02
post #32 of 44 Old Dec 28th, 2005, 3:01 am

Marietta liked Country Western music.
I put a couple of disc in the changer, adjust the front to rear with no front. She could adjust the volume. She was a happy camper with the tall windshield all the way up.

Bob
post #33 of 44 Old Dec 28th, 2005, 10:04 am

Been riding about 50 years with only a few breaks for military or job site changes. Even had an R50 when really young.

Just sold my 04 FLHTCUI and got an 06 LT. Very satisfied with the change. The riding position is very different but very comfortable, too. My biggest gripe is the small twist grip. I will be looking for a larger grip if I can't get used to the stock one. The low speed handling is somewhat more critical than the H-D but if you have any reasonable time on the H-D you will be able to transition with minimum time. Take your SO for a test ride like I did. Am sure that will be all that's required for approval. Ride safe.

Bill Reidy
DC-3 Driver
post #34 of 44 Old Dec 28th, 2005, 10:25 am

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronning
The LT will cruise all day at 80+ and not even break a sweat and at the end of the day you want to just keep riding.
I can honestly say that this is so close to the truth. After purchasing my 05' LT I rode off the parking lot s little concerned about the size and weight as I had never ridden one.

I had a LOT of custom choppers and an HD. I have ridden some really fun bikes....BUT... The LT is so far the ONLY bike I want to keep riding even when I know I should stop. I have to actually "make" myself stop.

If you intend to take some reasonably long trips, the LT is one of the most comfortable bikes to ride.

You will miss the rumble between your legs at 1st, but after a month or so of riding while listening to the stereo or XM, plotting the nav for the nearest Starbucks or going to lunch, you will be suprised how many people who don't ride will come up to you and say "MAN, that is a BEAUTIFUl BIKE"!

On a side note, the 05' is the best of the line. Hydraulic centerstand, good torque, great low speed handling. Just a better design by BMW.

I'll have a custom chop or sport bike again, but I'm in no hurry right now...

-
05' K1200 LT - BMW MOA Member
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training
post #35 of 44 Old Dec 28th, 2005, 12:04 pm Thread Starter

K1200lt

Hi David, it's Lou Ippolito, I will see you tomorrow probably sometime between 10:00 - Noon.
post #36 of 44 Old Dec 28th, 2005, 12:51 pm

OMG Deacon, I GOTTA' HAVE ONE! Where did you get that shirt!

-
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training
post #37 of 44 Old Dec 28th, 2005, 12:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideIt
I've owned a Harley Ultra Classic, along with 4 BMWs. Presently own an 05 LT. There is no comparsion between the Harley and the BMW. The 05 LT that I now have is by far the best bike in the world. The Harley is much better at parking lot speed, but anything over 5 mph the LT wins hands down. You will miss the Harley crowd and clothing and every thing that goes with the Harley Davidson image. But if you want to ride instead of profiling, I'd say go with the LT. Good luck in your decision.
Leon
05 Blue LT
Couldn't have said it better myself....

-
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training
post #38 of 44 Old Dec 28th, 2005, 12:58 pm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromoto
Lippol . . . David Slepak here member of K1200LT.net since '02 and co-owner of BMW Motorcycles of Scottsdale. I invite you to the dealership in North Scottsdale for information on the K1200LT and the opportunity to ride an 06' LT. Both Josh (brother) and I started our BMW riding on K1200LTs and have logged just over 80k between the two of us on this bike . . . I look forward to meeting you soon and welcoming you into the BMW riding community as well as the K1200LT fraternity!

Best,

David Slepak
Lou, Go and see David and the store. He and Josh are very personable and make the purchasing experience a dream come true.

-
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training
post #39 of 44 Old Dec 28th, 2005, 10:43 pm

Talking A very timely thread

Been lurking here for a while now, and when I saw this thread, I just had to jump in. I am a current Harley owner (a Road King Classic) who is also considering making the change to a BMW. I've ridden lots of different bikes in my life (Wings, metric cruisers, sport bikes, etc), and figured I'd get myself a Harley when I was finacially able to. So I saved my pennies and spent 15K on low mileage (1400 mi) 2001 Road King. Gotta hand it to Harley Davidson.....the whole "Harley image" thing, is just pure marketing genius. One that I found myself getting caught up in. I figure I've probably sunk another 3 to 4K into the bike in an effort to make it perform better. Brake improvements, suspension improvements, engine improvements, etc, etc, etc. Unfortunately, even after all of the performance improvements I've thrown money toward, the bike still just doesn't do it for me.

I consider myself more of a "motorcycle rider" than a "biker". And, the engineer in me is predisposed to appreciate fine engineering. As such, the Harley just doesn't seem to be cutting it for me. I suppose I probbaly ought to mention that the bike is only part of it...as I'm not really into the whole tough guy image either. I just shake my head when my Harley buddies make fun of me for wearing a helmet. That, while they strap their helmets to their bike (in case we venture into one of those...as they say, "dastardly helmet law states"). Anywho, that's enough Harley bashing....which is not the intent of my post.

All of the comments that everybody has made so far have only made me want an LT more. I want one so bad, I'll almost drooling over here.

As a side note...my wife thinks I've gone mad. She figured when I got that Harley, I'd be set for a long time. But, here I am on the BMW LT forums...wishing I had myself a KLT. The dealership in Scottsdale sounds nice. Wonder if they'd pick me up at the airport (would have to fly in from Chicago) when I come to AZ this Spring to "see what they've got!". Keep the posts coming my friends. I love it.

Already tired of Winter,
Toolman

P.S. - looking forward to warmer weather so I can go to the nearest dealer to take one for a test ride.

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.

Last edited by Toolman; Dec 28th, 2005 at 10:48 pm.
post #40 of 44 Old Dec 29th, 2005, 10:18 pm Thread Starter

Smile How long do I have to keep in under 4500 RPM

Got my KLT today from David at Scottsdale BMW. Great dealership. Driving home I took Shea Blvd to Beeline hwy to Bush hwy. By the time I got onto the Beeline I thought I was driving this bike my entire life, so smooth and confident. The Harley never felt like that. One question for you though: Do I REALLY have to keep it under 4500 RPM? I'll probably have my 600 miles by either tomorrow night or Saturday
post #41 of 44 Old Dec 29th, 2005, 10:57 pm

Ride it like you stole it. More than one sales guy and service manager have told me the secret to a great running BMW is to make sure you hit the red line every ride. Ozzie up in Chico says redline it from day one, even on the test ride, if it blows up it was a bad engine if it doesn't it is a good engine. I don't recommend the redline thing in town as its above the legal limit, way above.
Ride safe, ride hard and ride a lot.
post #42 of 44 Old Dec 30th, 2005, 6:35 am

Time for a new break-in thread

Quote:
Got my KLT today from David at Scottsdale BMW. Great dealership. Driving home I took Shea Blvd to Beeline hwy to Bush hwy. By the time I got onto the Beeline I thought I was driving this bike my entire life, so smooth and confident. The Harley never felt like that. One question for you though: Do I REALLY have to keep it under 4500 RPM? I'll probably have my 600 miles by either tomorrow night or Saturday
Lots of opinions about how to break-in the motor. Sort of like "which oil is best" threads, it probably doesn't matter much. I like the "break it in like your are going to ride it" approach, which means don't do anything different. One common theme is don't run at constant rpms during break-in, so if you are on the highway doing constant speed shift between 4th and 5th gear every once and a while and vary your speed a little. As far as keeping rpms low I don't think you need to do that for very long, if at all. Over the years, BMW engines have had as much trouble with rings failing to seat properly as anything; the prevention of this problem is: don't put synthetic oil in too soon, and don't baby the engine. Making sure the rings seat properly is the reason why some people advocate hitting the throttle for rapid acceleration once in a while rather than babying it. I don't think you need to crank it up to red line, but there does seem to be good argument for rolling on the throttle once and a while. Besides, its fun!
Happy New Year
post #43 of 44 Old Dec 30th, 2005, 8:23 am

Quote:
One question for you though: Do I REALLY have to keep it under 4500 RPM?
No. Run it like you stole it. Enjoy.

Don Ferrario
2004 K1200LT
2002 ST1100A

post #44 of 44 Old Dec 30th, 2005, 8:51 am

Thumbs up

Welcome to the club Lou . . . the BMW community is wonderful and the guys on the LT site are class acts. Josh and I look forward to riding with you soon, in fact this weekend there is a Euro Ride going to Tortilla Flats. The guys on the North side of town are meeting at the gas station across the street from Ft. McDowell @ 9:00am New Years Day. The ride is informal and you can ride at your own pace.

Again Congratulations!

PS - How did the Xenon work at night??? We haven't had a chance to test this new feature.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in