headlight question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jun 17th, 2008, 9:35 pm Thread Starter

headlight question

Last couple of days I've been having a bit of a weird thing going on with my headlight on my 2002 LT. When I start the bike cold the high beam dash light comes on but the headlight is on low beam and the light is not on. After riding for about 3 minutes the dash light goes off and the headlight low beam comes on. Its just a regular hologen bulb, no upgrades to HID etc.

When I turn the bike off and the headlight is warm it will come back on as normal if I restart.

Any thoughts, bulb on its way out? I'm leaving on a 2500 mile trip this Sat so am a bit concerned.

Thanks

Ron

2008 RT
2002 LT champagne
2003 Shadow
1986 Yamaha 500
1981 Honda Twinstar

Last edited by itspossible; Jun 17th, 2008 at 11:22 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jun 17th, 2008, 10:42 pm

Smile Re: headlight question

Quote:
Originally Posted by itspossible
Last couple of days I've been having a bit of a weird thing going on with my headlight on my 2002 LT. When I start the bike cold the high beam dash light comes on but the headlight is on low beam and the light is not on. After riding for about 3 minutes the dash light goes off and the headlight low beam comes on. Its just a regular HID bulb, no upgrade to ballasts etc.

When I turn the bike off and the headlight is warm it will come back on as normal if I restart.

Any thoughts, bulb on its way out? I'm leaving on a 2500 mile trip this Sat so am a bit concerned.

Thanks

Ron
The high beam indicator coming on is indicative of a ground problem. When the headlight loses its ground, the low beam ground will find a current path through the high beam filament which will light the high beam indicator. More than likely the ground bus / wire inside the headlight.

Good Luck

Duane

Check the obvious first!
01 LT Champagne "The Starship"
73 Z1 Kawi
and 7 long gone
post #3 of 12 Old Jun 17th, 2008, 11:05 pm Thread Starter

Re: headlight question

so...remove the bulb in the socket and wiggle some wires?

Ron

2008 RT
2002 LT champagne
2003 Shadow
1986 Yamaha 500
1981 Honda Twinstar

post #4 of 12 Old Jun 18th, 2008, 9:14 am

That is what I would do and then also get a new bulb to carry with if you have issues.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #5 of 12 Old Jun 18th, 2008, 1:19 pm Thread Starter

thanks Duane , Tom

2008 RT
2002 LT champagne
2003 Shadow
1986 Yamaha 500
1981 Honda Twinstar
post #6 of 12 Old Aug 30th, 2011, 9:37 pm

When I start my 2005 K1200lt in the mornings the lights high and low beam stay off. The high beam indicator stays off. The windshield will not go up and down. After I drive for a few minutes they work. I have replaced the battery as it was 7 years old and still have the problem. I am thinking I either I have a relay that is weak or the new battetry is a problem. Once the bike it running it works fine. After parking it at work all day it does it when I leave but it works quicker than in the morning.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need to stay awake

post #7 of 12 Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 9:49 pm

It is not the new battery. The battery tested out fine. The lights stay off longer now. I lose the cruise control, power wind shield, head lights and 2 of the 3 tail lights. Everything else seems to work. Does anyone have or know where I can get the electrical system drawings on this bike so I can see what may be causing my problem. I am thinking maybe a relay but not the start cutout one.

Manny

Need to stay awake

post #8 of 12 Old Oct 4th, 2011, 2:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf
It is not the new battery. The battery tested out fine. The lights stay off longer now. I lose the cruise control, power wind shield, head lights and 2 of the 3 tail lights. Everything else seems to work. Does anyone have or know where I can get the electrical system drawings on this bike so I can see what may be causing my problem. I am thinking maybe a relay but not the start cutout one.
The consensus here is a 'Clymer's Manual for the BMW K1200 LT. It has the wiring diagrams that you need. Amazon plus several other places have it for about $40.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #9 of 12 Old Oct 4th, 2011, 4:43 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Newf,

Sounds like a ground issue. The LT has one cable coming from the negative terminal. It ties to a block behind the battery where all the grounds tie to. It could be the 10mm nut there is loose. Also check the positive terminal to make sure it is tight as there are several wires going to it.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #10 of 12 Old Oct 4th, 2011, 8:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Newf,

Sounds like a ground issue. The LT has one cable coming from the negative terminal. It ties to a block behind the battery where all the grounds tie to. It could be the 10mm nut there is loose. Also check the positive terminal to make sure it is tight as there are several wires going to it.

I have checked both battery terminals and insured they are tight. I have checked the ground cable nut. Reading different forms on here I do not believe it is the starter bolt as from what I have read that is not an issue as much on 2005 and newer. It looks like I am going to have to strip the bike down over the winter season and do some trouble shooting. Thanks for the advice.

Manny

Need to stay awake

post #11 of 12 Old Oct 6th, 2011, 12:47 am

A couple of years ago my high beam indicator came on the and headlight went out. No high or low beam. Turned out to be the ground in the headlight assembly. The ground is not very well thought out or executed. I ended up soldering a ground wire to each of the sockets to help out the factory setup.
Had remove the nose cone and headlight assembly to do it.
Good luck.

2002 K1200LTC Ocean Blue
post #12 of 12 Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 1:44 pm

Well after some testing and checking it turned out to be one of the relays (load shedding relay). That was mentioned here on this site by someone and I had read it a while ago. I am glad the problem is gone. Thanks for all the input.

Manny

Need to stay awake

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in