Mute, Volume, Seek on handlebar stopped - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Dec 25th, 2005, 12:39 am Thread Starter

Question Mute, Volume, Seek on handlebar stopped

Hey Folks,
Today i took one of my brothers out for a spin who tured up out of the blue for a suprise.

While out today when we left home i could chnage volume, and change radio stations, but 60 kilometers up the road, i could not do that no mute, but the passenger controll works fine.

Im thinking about pulling the audio controlls off the handlebars and di-assemble and clean the contacts to start with, *IF* i can.
The road was standard asphalt with no potholes or anything that i rode theu.

Anybody have any other suggestions as to what i should go looking for?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Dec 25th, 2005, 3:12 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Disassemble and clean is your best bet. The passenger controls and handlebar controls work exactly the same way, on the same set of wires, by grounding a particular wire depending on what you've pushed.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 11 Old Dec 25th, 2005, 5:35 am Thread Starter

Smile

Thanks for the info, i will let you know how it all goes

post #4 of 11 Old Dec 25th, 2005, 7:40 am

Hey Ken, do you think it has anything to do with his sig line??

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #5 of 11 Old Dec 26th, 2005, 6:12 am Thread Starter

remove volume button

Ok,
I read the service manual and i have removed the mute/volume assy. Pretty easy, remove the top and bottom covers off the handle bars just 4 screws and remove a silver screw from the rear left side of the volume/mute button and the assembly lifts up a bit and there is a gold coloured screw behind it and you have the entire mute/volume assy in your hand.
Problem now is i can see the circuit board, but the switches are on the other side.
the mute button side of the circuit board is free to move and will pop thru no worries, but the volume button does not seem to unclip. i have tried pulling on it but not too hard incase i smash it to bits.
any suggestions?
post #6 of 11 Old Dec 26th, 2005, 8:09 am Thread Starter

Unhappy

One of my older brothers is with me and knows a lot more about electrical stuff then i. he grabbed a DMM and checked out the switches on the handlebar and they are switching 12volt on/off ok when the volume/mute/seek buttons are pressed. we followed the cables from the handlebar and i removed the fairings and traced wires to the "stingray" unit.
visually the cables appear to be ok with no rub marks or wires cut.
have reseated all cables, even tried swearing at them.

no go.
its late im going to bed, will investiage tomorrow when i get home from work
post #7 of 11 Old Dec 26th, 2005, 10:40 am

Talking Duffel Bag

Gaday Dez!

It may be a moot point, but I was on a trip with Traveller. We had the same problem. After two temper tantrums and many bad words... ......I found the problem was my duffel bag resting on the rear controls. The bag would intermittently press the buttons and make the radio go crazy.

Whenever I would stop and dismount, she would return to normal. As I would ride off, lean on the back rest (which would inturn press against the duffel bag) the bag would hit the mute button.

Whatever!!!............................
post #8 of 11 Old Dec 26th, 2005, 4:28 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardenross

Whenever I would stop and dismount, she would return to normal. As I would ride off, lean on the back rest (which would inturn press against the duffel bag) the bag would hit the mute button.

Gee i wish it was that simple. last night when testing we even unplugged the connector to the pillion controlls and still no difference to the riders control.
a wiring diagraam or circuit diagram would be real handy right about know.my service manual doesnt have one
post #9 of 11 Old Dec 26th, 2005, 7:56 pm Thread Starter

Fixxed It

Ok,
for you to be able to apprecaite the fix, we need to back in time a few weeks, actually a few months ago.

A few months ago after i got the gps installed i parked the bike in the shed with the gps running and turned the engine off, but didnt turn the key to the off position and left the gps running.
went back to the bike a few days later to go for a ride, the battery was flat.
blamed myself and removed the fuse to the gps under the passenger seat so it would never happen again.only put the fuse in when i need the gps.

christmas day i took my brother for a ride, got 60 kays out of town and we were dieying of thirst. i pulled up beside the road, shutdown the bike and opened one of the panniers and we had a drink of some cold water i put in the panniers before we left home.
when we left this spot, i coulld not use the mute button nor change volume, byt my brother could from the passenger seat change volume and mute.

so last night i pulled the bike to pieces and we started checking wiring for the audio system and chased cables from one end fo the bike to the other to figure out how it all worked.

This morning in the shed..

After a while of us scratching our heads and talking Allan asked me how the gps worked cos he thought it might have something to do with it. i told him i needed to flick the switch on the bike from audio to gps and when i do that the gps works and the gps will talk to you and tell you whats going on.

Allan said where is the switch.

I pointed to the top of the stingray unit.

It was set to GPS.

mmmmm...

turn the bike on and the radio goes the switch is set to gps and no mute button works and no volume works.

flick the switch to audio, and try again, all is good.

mmmm.. Allan and i look at each other and crack up laughing.
I must have flicked the switch when we pulled up 60 k out of town by accident, and if the fuse was installed for the gps i would see the gps lcd screen running and thats why the mute,volume button wasnt working for the radio cos it was running for the gps!!!

DOH!

Oh well.... at least it never cost me anything to get it fixxed it guess.

*sigh*

post #10 of 11 Old Dec 26th, 2005, 8:19 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
That's right, you've got the Carin GPS fitted. I'd forgotten there is a Radio/GPS switch on the side of your LCD display. Easy enough solution then.

FWIW, I always park my LT with the forks locked. I've wired my iPod, intercom, and GPS to work with the key off, so I must lock the forks or else the battery will go dead. This way, I can leave the bike sit for weeks and it always starts right up.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #11 of 11 Old Apr 12th, 2006, 9:25 am

Help with similar problem!

I've got a 2000 LT with no GPS, but radio had been replaced two years ago with a newer CD(not cassette) model. I don't have GPS or any other additions. Bike was serviced/stored over the Winter. Replaced battery a week ago. On the first ride, noted that handle bar controls for Radio will not work. Passenger controls work fine..radio/CD changer work fine. Pulled tupperware off left side..connections there seem fine.

Could my new radio have a GPS related feature that could be causing the problem?..I don't have a manual for the new style radio. Dealer didn't have a clue.

Any help would be appreciated! as I'm going to try and tackle this issue at 4:00 PM Central time today..its getting nice out! and the snow is gone.

Thanks
Rocker

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in