LT gone - RT here - Observations - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 8:27 pm Thread Starter

LT gone - RT here - Observations

I've had an '06 R1200RT for a week now. Switched from the LT because of knee problems. The lighter bike is the answer for my knee (so far). I've done lots of parking lot riding. This is where the LT bothered my knee. It's not the case with the RT :-) :-) It feels (and is) much lighter.

Here are my first observations on the RT. Immediately I noticed the vibration at idle. It smooths out as RPM comes up. The bike turns much sharper at low speed - I cut 4 ft off my slow turns on my first practice runs. I like the brakes better at low speed - you can drag the rear brake without the front. It has more torque than the LT. I'm still braking it in, so don't know about maximum acceleration, but I'd guess it's faster.

I like being able to take all the cases off. I don't like the windshield. It's not high enough. More wind on the riders than the LT. Also, there's a little wind on the shins, and there was none on the LT. My wife hasn't joined me yet, so I don't know how it feels with her along.

As I get some more miles on it I will post more of my thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 11:13 pm

Yeh, I thought the RT's wind protection was a major problem to contend with in comparison with the LT. Moreover, spending so much time on a bike as refined as the LT makes it tough to go to a smaller bike as well; the shear weight of the LT makes for great highway speeds. Although, the RT has a few advantages especially in the weight and handling categories. Different bikes, for different jobs. Congratulations on the new RT.
post #3 of 29 Old Dec 24th, 2005, 1:50 am

The RT is a different aesthetic than the LT. Just like Harley, G-Wing, Dual Sport, SportBike, Scooter are NOT like anything else. The nuances of the styles are to be embraced and enjoyed. Hopefully, a small inventory of your preferences is within you means.

I rode from The Bay Area to NY in 2000 and picked up the Female-Love of my Life at JFK Airport on a '96 1100RT. We travelled across Canada in Temperatures that ranged from 115F-23F.... DO NOT FORGET THE HEATED SEATS when travelling w/ a female. By the end of the trip, the RT, which I tought was a massive scooter had shrunk to an annoying pipsqueak of transportation. Because we were in the habit of long trips, the LT was the PERFECT replacement for the RT. However, I do miss the RT. As you mentioned, the Torque is FAB, the handling is like none other, and the RT was just the most FUN bike I have ever owned...... may I say that twice?

If you are travelling solo, the RT is my favorite. If 2UP, LT hands down winner. If you are commuting in town, a scooter or DualSport. If you're picking up loose females, Harley. The spirit of 2 wheels is all the same... No blame or shame on Brand or Aesthetics..... Ride On

Cheers

Dave

Dave Lezynski
Oakland, Hollywood CA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 K12LTC
2000 Aprilia Pegaso
2004 Aprilia Scarabeo 500 (Scooter Trash)

post #4 of 29 Old Dec 24th, 2005, 9:05 am

Talking Tight Ones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lezynski
If you're picking up loose females, Harley.

Oh! But if you prefer tight ones, ride a BMW!

Last edited by wardenross; Dec 24th, 2005 at 9:06 am. Reason: speeling
post #5 of 29 Old Dec 24th, 2005, 9:35 am

All twins vibrate at idle. That is normal.
post #6 of 29 Old Dec 24th, 2005, 9:45 am

"Here are my first observations on the RT. Immediately I noticed the vibration at idle. "

My 03 RT engine got much smoother after I put 12k on it. Not LT smooth, but better then when new.

regards
post #7 of 29 Old Dec 24th, 2005, 9:57 am

"I don't like the windshield. It's not high enough. More wind on the riders than the LT. "

Should have included this in my post above, Cee Bailey has a shield for the R1200RT that can be ordered in taller and wider sizes.

http://www.ceebaileys.com/bmw/bmwr1200rtsel.htm

regards
post #8 of 29 Old Dec 24th, 2005, 10:07 am

Hi Dave,

You hit the LT vs RT thing I think on the noggin'. I really don't think I can part with the LT cause I do have a wife that likes to "come along" once in a while and I think it's the top for long distance, even solo.

I will very seriously consider an RT when the in-line 4 comes as part of the package. Not as a trade, but as "in addition to" the LT. I will also consider other bikes in place of the RT if something else comes in sooner from another manufacturer. It just depends on how patient I am!

Cheers,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
05' K1200 LT - BMW MOA Member
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training
post #9 of 29 Old Dec 24th, 2005, 1:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
"I don't like the windshield. It's not high enough. More wind on the riders than the LT. "

Should have included this in my post above, Cee Bailey has a shield for the R1200RT that can be ordered in taller and wider sizes.

http://www.ceebaileys.com/bmw/bmwr1200rtsel.htm
I'm 6' tall and just put a +2.5 parabellum windshield on my RT and find wind blockage much improved. Just throwing that out as another option.

Follow your front wheel...
Steve S.

1998 Harley Davidson FLHR-P
1998 BMW R1100RT-P (Black Mariah)
2002 BMW K1200LTE (Bayou Buffalo)

If it rolls, floats, flies or shoots, runs on gasoline or gunpowder, is loud, goes fast, or shoots a big bullet, thus producing Torque or Recoil....It's Cool.

post #10 of 29 Old Dec 24th, 2005, 2:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardenross
Oh! But if you prefer tight ones, ride a BMW!
No.... AW...... Loose, as in, available. The promiscuous, wanton harlot, experienced beyond belief type that you're thinking about is NOT what I had in mind. I was thinking about an available Woman with a well maintained Moto and a 6 M/C Garage. On the Other Hand...... maybe I could adapt to your way of thinking.......

As Clint said in "Hamburger Hill" (I think) "Improvise, Adapt, Overcome"

Dave

Dave Lezynski
Oakland, Hollywood CA

2000 K12LTC
2000 Aprilia Pegaso
2004 Aprilia Scarabeo 500 (Scooter Trash)
post #11 of 29 Old Dec 24th, 2005, 2:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lezynski
No.... AW...... Loose, as in, available. The promiscuous, wanton harlot, experienced beyond belief type that you're thinking about is NOT what I had in mind. I was thinking about an available Woman with a well maintained Moto and a 6 M/C Garage. On the Other Hand...... maybe I could adapt to your way of thinking.......

As Clint said in "Hamburger Hill" (I think) "Improvise, Adapt, Overcome"
Dave
It was "Heartbreak Ridge", one of my personal favorites.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #12 of 29 Old Dec 24th, 2005, 7:07 pm

RT or LT

Traded my 03 Lt a while ago for a R1200RT, no regrets at all , dont think the bikes can be compared, its jumbos against spitfires ! cant say my pillion and I miss the LT at all, think the LT may suit the more generously proportioned rider better, such a chap may find the RT cramped, I had boxers before the LT, last one a R1100rt which I traded in for the LT, did 3000miles on the LT but could`nt get into it, way to heavy to be fun, maybe BMW will lighten it eventually, using the technology of the new k1200S/GT, but its gota lose a lot of flab, I think it`s some 250LBs heavier than the R1200RT.
One thing I particularly like about the new RT is its versatillity, being able to leave all the panniers at home on a solo trip and have a blast, like no lux tourer can, and then the next week, fully loaded 2500mile trip around France climbing up some real tight hairpins I would`nt dream of taking the LT up,
Certainly the top bike for me
post #13 of 29 Old Dec 25th, 2005, 2:47 am

apples & oranges . . . again?

While some valid arguments have been presented as to why one would like the new RT better than the LT...I think most of these arguments go in the "opinion" column. "Way too heavy to be fun" is just about the most ridiculous statement one can make. I own a 500-pound Ninja...so I know a little about "light" and "fun". I'll ride my LT with anyone on an RT...hope y'all can keep up! I also took the new RT on an extensive test ride. To be kind, I'll just call it a "safe choice" for a kinda sorta two-up tourer. And to call the RT "versatile"? I simply disagree. Especially if you'd compare it to the newly released K1200GT. Now THAT's a versatile sport-tourer. Very similar in the ergos and looks department...but with a much smoother and much more powerful powerplant.

Quite frankly, I found the RT's motor to be so annoying on so many levels that I just won't take the time to go into all of that right now. And anyone who cuts 4 feet off of their slow-speed turns with an RT, probably was VERY afraid of the LT's weight...and probably shouldn't have been riding it in the first place. Glad you made the switch. For your safety's sake, your passenger's, and all of us around you.
post #14 of 29 Old Dec 25th, 2005, 3:04 am
IBR# 366

Garage
I've been all over the Alps on an LT, and never had any trouble with hairpins. Even passed a few lighter and more maneuverable bikes while I was at it. Plus I was able to ride there and back from Wales in complete comfort.

Bottom line, you gotta ride what you're comfortable with, and be confident on whatever you ride.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #15 of 29 Old Dec 25th, 2005, 10:00 am

Rt

Gary, you will notice a lot more vibs up around 80, even after break-in. Is it too much? Only you can decide. Let us know what you find as the miles go by.
post #16 of 29 Old Dec 25th, 2005, 12:12 pm

FWIW...LT vs RT

I rode to Deal's Gap to ride the Dragon's Tail in September. The morning of the first ride, my friend and I met up with two motor cops from FLA riding a Duc and an RT. They sounded like they had the Dragon's number as it was their 5/6th ride on the beast. I pardoned myself from my friend on a 650GS and rode the Dragon at full strength with the Duc in the lead and the RT ahead of me.

Bottom line.... I rode the LT to it's full potential and other than the occasional centerstand scrape, I shocked the **** out of the cops and myself to how well the LT did. AMAZING!!!!! Would I ride any beemer "two up" in curves like this...? NO WAY!! Not even sure I would ride anyone in a Porsche two up this aggresive.

Don't be fooled by the hippo LT syndrome. The LT can be a VERY nice curve rider in addition to the slabs.
post #17 of 29 Old Dec 25th, 2005, 12:53 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
While some valid arguments have been presented as to why one would like the new RT better than the LT...I think most of these arguments go in the "opinion" column. "Way too heavy to be fun" is just about the most ridiculous statement one can make. I own a 500-pound Ninja...so I know a little about "light" and "fun". I'll ride my LT with anyone on an RT...hope y'all can keep up! I also took the new RT on an extensive test ride. To be kind, I'll just call it a "safe choice" for a kinda sorta two-up tourer. And to call the RT "versatile"? I simply disagree. Especially if you'd compare it to the newly released K1200GT. Now THAT's a versatile sport-tourer. Very similar in the ergos and looks department...but with a much smoother and much more powerful powerplant.

Quite frankly, I found the RT's motor to be so annoying on so many levels that I just won't take the time to go into all of that right now. And anyone who cuts 4 feet off of their slow-speed turns with an RT, probably was VERY afraid of the LT's weight...and probably shouldn't have been riding it in the first place. Glad you made the switch. For your safety's sake, your passenger's, and all of us around you.
Hi Joe,

On the turns - both bikes had the bars turned to the stops. No extreme leaning on either. The RT is a shorter and simply turns sharper. I don't think it takes skill to do such a turn, just a few minutes to get used to the the bike. I believe the bikes are oranges and apples in comparison. Without my knee problems I would have stayed with the LT.
post #18 of 29 Old Dec 26th, 2005, 12:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodoodrum
FWIW...LT vs RT

Would I ride any beemer "two up" in curves like this...? NO WAY!! Not even sure I would ride anyone in a Porsche two up this aggresive.
Why not? With an experienced passenger the LT dances just as well.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #19 of 29 Old Dec 27th, 2005, 1:31 am Thread Starter

Another thing I am noticing - information is not as easy to come by for the RT as the LT. My experience has been that within a day I could get any technical info I needed for the LT - almost always on this forum. So far, this has not been the case with the RT. I've posted questions and had just a few responses. Maybe I've not found the right place yet!

The insides of the RT is easier to get to. Not as much tuperware. I installed the Motolights and Kisan tailBlazer today. Motolights worked, Kisan didn't. I don't think they've got the correct unit for this bike yet. The brake light fault indicator stays on.

I tried some panic stops today on the RT from 40-50 mph. Rear peddle does not seem to apply front brakes fully. Front brake control does both. I've got to read up on the brakes to see how they work. Unlike the LT, I may have to get used to braking with two controls again.

The LT and RT are very different bikes. I'm only comparing them because I've gone from one to the other. I'm still impressed with the smoothness of the LT and how nimble it was for it's size/weight. The RT will slip through my slow-ride maze with a little more ease, but the LT did it for me as well.

In the next couple of weeks I'll do a 200 mile ride, so we'll see how this thing is on the road.
post #20 of 29 Old Dec 27th, 2005, 1:51 am
Senior Member (ret.)

The '06 RT has the canbus electrical wiring. Any variation of voltage is going to trigger a fault code. I would not add a Kisan tailBlazer to the newer bikes yet.

Check to see if one of the dual filaments is not busted in the brake lamp. DAMHIK! The bulb will still work as a taillight and brake light even if one of the filaments has gone bad. One of the nice features of owning a BMW.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #21 of 29 Old Dec 27th, 2005, 6:14 am

Quote:
Another thing I am noticing - information is not as easy to come by for the RT as the LT
These guys cover the RT pretty good.

http://www.bmwrt.com/

Mike
IBA #433
post #22 of 29 Old Dec 27th, 2005, 8:20 am

Smile

I enjoy the back and forth banter between LT and RT, partially because I put 30,000 miles on an RT and now over 30,000 on an LT. Both bikes are lovely. My wife actually liked riding the RT better because she likes the wind and the vibration (imagine that). However the two bikes just cannot be compared because their powerplants are so different. As far a one-up riding I can ride the LT faster and with more stability in the twisties. Why....I don't know, the big bike just handles so sweetly. I do think the LT is a better handling bike between the two (parking lots excluded). The RT's boxer engine is wonderful if you like the gentle vibration at idle and that feeling of the engine getting smoother the faster you go (at least the pre-05 RTs) I haven't ridden a 1200RT. I hear they are smoother up to 5,000 but then develop a buzz the older (non-balance shaft) versions didn't have.

Either way I'm glad you've found a bike that fits your needs. The RT is a great bike, I just don't think I would be satisfied with one as a replacement for my LT.
post #23 of 29 Old Dec 27th, 2005, 11:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjac
These guys cover the RT pretty good.

http://www.bmwrt.com/

Yeah, if you can past their never-ending, repetitive Harley bashing threads..
post #24 of 29 Old Dec 27th, 2005, 1:02 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffyK
The '06 RT has the canbus electrical wiring. Any variation of voltage is going to trigger a fault code. I would not add a Kisan tailBlazer to the newer bikes yet.
Check to see if one of the dual filaments is not busted in the brake lamp. DAMHIK! The bulb will still work as a taillight and brake light even if one of the filaments has gone bad. One of the nice features of owning a BMW.
There are two single filament bulbs for running and brake lights on my '06 RT. The bulbs are dim running and get bright when brake is applied. I assume the brakes increase voltage. I'm in touch with Kisan this morning and they are having a technical person call me back later today.
post #25 of 29 Old Dec 27th, 2005, 1:15 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

My K12R has a single bulb with dual filaments. I got the fault code when I was installing another item and found out that one of the filaments fried. But the light worked as running and brake. Cost me $2 for a bulb and bunch more $s to clear the lamp out fault.

In your case, it looks like the computer sensed a voltage drop and set off the fault code.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #26 of 29 Old Dec 27th, 2005, 3:58 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffyK
My K12R has a single bulb with dual filaments. I got the fault code when I was installing another item and found out that one of the filaments fried. But the light worked as running and brake. Cost me $2 for a bulb and bunch more $s to clear the lamp out fault.

In your case, it looks like the computer sensed a voltage drop and set off the fault code.
I guess the new RT is different. Kisan had me measure the voltage w/o and w/brake. Running is 3.4 and brake is 14 (motor running). Their unit is designed to see 6.8v and then steps to battery with brake. They are either going to modify a unit or do a refund. Will let me know soon.
post #27 of 29 Old Dec 27th, 2005, 5:37 pm

Cool Not here...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k12steve
Which of course you won't find on our site...!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #28 of 29 Old Dec 27th, 2005, 5:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by k12steve
That may be. Me, I just stick to their wrenching section. Thats where I get mechanical/accessory questions specific to new 1200GS, 1200RT, and 1200ST from the guys that ride em.

Mike
IBA #433
post #29 of 29 Old Dec 27th, 2005, 7:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Why not? With an experienced passenger the LT dances just as well.
Good question! It felt good solo in the curves. Two up, I'd have to have a good light woman....LOLOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in