Where do all of these fairing screws go? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By vstromboli

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 8:59 pm Thread Starter

Question Where do all of these fairing screws go?

In the process of removing most of my plastic on my 2000 K1200LT fairing, I have found many examples where the previous owners or mechanics didn't seem to care about which length screws went where (part on the left side had different sizes on the right side). Does anyone have a diagram that shows which size screws that should be used with each peice of plastic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 9:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryEdgar
In the process of removing most of my plastic on my 2000 K1200LT fairing, I have found many examples where the previous owners or mechanics didn't seem to care about which length screws went where (part on the left side had different sizes on the right side). Does anyone have a diagram that shows which size screws that should be used with each peice of plastic?
What you need is the Paul Sayegh K1200LT Service DVD's. I kid you not, they tell you everything in only the best way. He not only tells you...he shows you what to do and the correct way to do it.
post #3 of 17 Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 9:16 pm

Attached Screw Diagram

I think this what you are looking for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screw lengths.jpg
Views:	1180
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	1253  

Dan
New Hampshire
2002 K1200LTC

post #4 of 17 Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 11:23 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
The diagrams and the Paul Sayegh DVDs are very helpful. A useful trick is to print the diagram and tape it to a piece of cardboard. Then when you remove a screw, push it into the diagram near where it came out of the bike.

Or just learn why they put certain screws in certain places and you'll always get it right. Short screws go through one panel and into a threaded aluminum or steel hole or into a gold metal clip nut. Long screws go where there are two panels to go through and also where the rubber well nuts are. Two screws in front of the driver's seat have smaller diameter heads. The screws under the fairing lower and the black tip over wings are usually allen, though many have changed them to torx to simplify things.

Once you've done it a couple of times it's pretty easy.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 17 Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 5:40 am

Also, see Raffy's list in the HoW (g.5).
post #6 of 17 Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 9:13 am

Here's a cleaned up version of what Dan sent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k1200lt_fairing_screws.jpg
Views:	673
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	1265  
simoncharles likes this.

Jacques
Dallas, TX USA
'05 K1200LT - '02 Suzuki V-Strom

Last edited by vstromboli; Dec 23rd, 2005 at 9:23 am.
post #7 of 17 Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 5:50 pm Thread Starter

Smile Good stuff!

Thank you all for your suggestions; they're all helpful.
post #8 of 17 Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 11:49 am

Re: Where do all of these fairing screws go?

dayum.....I just use a muffin tin..........?.......I need to come up to tech..........

Jim and Cyndy
'03 Black..."Ol' Dollar"
TDMTT
post #9 of 17 Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 12:14 pm

There is an easier way. Do your best to determine the proper length screws. When you put everything back together start with the short screws. As long as there is enough length to secure the parts together you will be OK. Work your way up always using the shortest screws first. You might end up with some long screws at the end. There is one place where you need to be careful to not put a screw through the fuel cell.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #10 of 17 Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 1:29 pm

Somebody posted this some time back, can't remember who. I had it saved on my desk top.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1200lt template.pdf (27.5 KB, 259 views)

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #11 of 17 Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 2:15 pm

You know I used to worry about this but over time I came to the realization it doesn't matter, oh sure there's a few spots where you want to use the smaller screws, base of the top tupperware by the tank and a couple below the drop bar but past that it doesn't matter. I used to take a good deal of time putting everything back exactly where I found it (sigh) PITA now I save a few small ones for the area's I mentioned, and not worry about it.

just sayin

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #12 of 17 Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 3:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kra961
You know I used to worry about this but over time I came to the realization it doesn't matter, oh sure there's a few spots where you want to use the smaller screws, base of the top tupperware by the tank and a couple below the drop bar but past that it doesn't matter. I used to take a good deal of time putting everything back exactly where I found it (sigh) PITA now I save a few small ones for the area's I mentioned, and not worry about it.

just sayin

I am with you. If the "screw Fits ", it's the right one.
( of course you have to heed Loren's warning )
post #13 of 17 Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 6:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

The rubber well nuts use the longest screws. The trim closest to the fuel tank uses the shortest ones. Everything else is pretty much in the middle. If in doubt, mark a toothpick to the three lengths and insert it to check the available depth. That works every time.

post #14 of 17 Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 7:31 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
There is an easier way. Do your best to determine the proper length screws. When you put everything back together start with the short screws. As long as there is enough length to secure the parts together you will be OK. Work your way up always using the shortest screws first. You might end up with some long screws at the end. There is one place where you need to be careful to not put a screw through the fuel cell.

Loren

I use the cardboard method like dandiver. But I think the screws have gotten mixed up. I may as well collect them into a bucket, Palerider style.. When I reassemble the tupperware, I always (maybe almost always) check to see if they'll go too deep. I have 3 different lengths of screws. Now maybe I've just been lucky and I know we want to put it back together right. But it seems that anyone can put the screws anywhere and not have a problem piercing anything. I do take special care near the wiring harness. Just wondering if anyone's had a problem with a screw too long.
post #15 of 17 Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 11:37 am

Great timing, just took my tupperware off for some maintenance and found some inconsistency in how screws were replaced between left and right. Once you get them corrected, I always leave the screws in the panel holes that they came from, stick a piece of blue masking tape over them to held them there while handling the panels and that way it becomes a no-brainer to put back together.

Wondering if anyone has ever tried one of these screw kits I see on ebay from time to time. Any good? I need to replace several because previous owner used silicone on several of them.

Thansk

Last edited by copperstatetour; Feb 3rd, 2012 at 12:41 pm.
post #16 of 17 Old Sep 15th, 2013, 5:52 pm

Afternoon! I read several threads regarding where the screws go but I just purchased a 2000 LT and started to remove things to look around. The first thing I noticed is that I am missing many 'tupperware' screws. Where do you recommend purchasing these screws, BMW?
post #17 of 17 Old Sep 15th, 2013, 9:27 pm

Check on FleaBay as many folks sell salvaged parts and you should be able to pick up some screw sets...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in