I like my bike but what the heck rattles? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 3:27 pm Thread Starter

Question I like my bike but what the heck rattles?

I have a 05 with about 1700 miles on it. Right from the start the thing has rattled. This rattle sounds like it has something to do with the plastic fairing as it is more common when I go over small a bump or when the clutch chatters at take off. It is not consistent and it doesn't rattle everytime but it usually happens when there are other people around like at an intersection. It seems to make my bike sound like a piece of junk and is a little embarrassing. I took the bike in for the 600 mile service and naturally they couldn't duplicate the noise? They were unable to hear the squealing back brake either, but that is another topic.
Is this common? Do all k1200lt's rattle or is it just mine? I hope that this in not a universal problem as I would like to correct it.
I would appreciate any feed back you could give me.
Depwoods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 3:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Depwoods
I have a 05 with about 1700 miles on it. Right from the start the thing has rattled. This rattle sounds like it has something to do with the plastic fairing as it is more common when I go over small a bump or when the clutch chatters at take off.
You might check the space between the top and bottom fairing pieces at the very front on both sides. I put some thin foam in between the two to keep them from rattling.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #3 of 19 Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 4:00 pm

Lightbulb

I went chasing a rattle on my bike and i found it.
The rattle was from the exhasut. Around the exhaust there is a chrome cover.
There was a few screws at the front at had fallen out.
To check this is simple, the left side foot peg comes off with 3 x screws (the gear shift side) behind this you will see the chrome cover over the exhaust. there is about 3 or 4 screws that you can easily get to.
Two of these had fallen out on my bike.

Replaced and added some medium strength loctite and now there is *NO* rattle from my bike at all.

post #4 of 19 Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 4:02 pm

Lightbulb

Oh yeah, another thing i forgot to add.
The black plastic covers , the tip over wings.
Remove those covers and inspect the plastic fairing and make sure there is not plastic broken.
On mine there was a piece of plastic broken and was vibrating like crazy.
The plastic lived under the black plastic tip over wing and is held on with a few screws.
I removed it and put 2 small holes on the fairing one each side of the hole and put a small zip tie thru. drowned it in JB weld. all is good.
post #5 of 19 Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 9:44 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up Rattle suggestion thank you.

Thank you very much for the suggestions. I don't think that the rattle that I am hearing is spark knock or engine noise. To me it sounds more like a rattle behind the plastic fairing. I will check out all of you suggestions and hopefully it will solve the problem. I was also glad to hear that you had no rattles. This is a small problem but with this bike being what it is I want it to sound as good as it looks.
post #6 of 19 Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 1:28 pm

Rattles

Yup. Dealer put the "fabric" side of black Velcro on one side where the lower fairing contacts the upper, all the way at the front.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #7 of 19 Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 4:57 pm

Dep,

You clearly need to replace your stock pipe with a Remus exhaust, get a Rhinewest performance chip, a canisterectomy, Highway Ottomans, an HID low-beam, and a hard-wired Garmin 376c. After removing/replacing the tupperware to install those items (tightening all screws to maximum allowable torque), the noise should have disappeared. If not, the noise from the Remus pipe should mask the noise and you'll have all those new gadgets to distract you so you don't notice it anymore. Oh, don't forget to buy a BMW cupholder.

What was the question again?

Bruce Yates - Y3K on board!
Bellevue, WA (near sunny Seattle
)
2013 dark graphite K1600GTL "Tiger Shark"
(RIP - totaled by idiot cage driver)

2000 K1200LTc "Salsa" (sold to my buddy, Mel)
2012 midnight blue Vespa GTS 300ie (Cheri's)

(photography)

(new blog)

2001 CCR - Hot Springs, AR
2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM
2003 CCR - Gatlinburg, TN
2004 CCR - Breckenridge, CO
2005 CCR - Jackson Hole, WY
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA
2009 CCR - Rapid City, SD
2011 CCR - Boise, ID

"If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields
post #8 of 19 Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 6:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Yates
What was the question again?
Your age is showing again.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #9 of 19 Old Dec 27th, 2005, 10:15 am Thread Starter

You might be right. I have a Harley Springer Softail with Bub shotgun pipes and that bike doesn't rattle.
post #10 of 19 Old Dec 27th, 2005, 10:41 am

rattle

Is it a rattle or a squeak? I have an 03 and have experienced a chirping squeaking in the front fairing lower. In the area where the lower meets the upper... in front. It's plastic against plastic.
post #11 of 19 Old Dec 28th, 2005, 1:55 am
Gold Supporter

Im sorry to hear about your rattle, esp on a new one, my bike did the same thing and the dealor found a cracked convertor in my exhaust,they replaced it under warranty,also they took the tupperware off and added stripes of rubber. I found that my engine at start up vibrated - till the computer sinked itself to my riding habits, I since learned if you turn the key on and do NOT start the engine rotate your throttle full open then full closed twice it will sink the computer and hopefuly idle smoother. Or just simply put some long miles on your machine to help break it in...matthew -- Happy Trails
post #12 of 19 Old Dec 28th, 2005, 10:57 am

1/8" weather stripping works great if it's where the lower and upper farings meet, which is a common location. Cereal box cut-outs work wonders for the rear brake noise and you already own the parts required I'm sure.
post #13 of 19 Old Dec 28th, 2005, 6:46 pm

Check the little chrome pieces where the windshield mounts, they aren't an indication of a loose windshield but will irritate you occasionally. The fix is to remove them, bend the little tabs that hold them and put them back on (or do away with them and install metal strips using slightly longer screws through the windshield).

Jason Spates
Keller, Tejas, Earth
'03 K1200LTC Impala Brown (RIP)

Driving a car is like watching TV and riding a motorcycle is like watching an IMAX, except with wind.
post #14 of 19 Old Dec 28th, 2005, 6:51 pm

Quote:
You might be right. I have a Harley Springer Softail with Bub shotgun pipes and that bike doesn't rattle.

No, but I'm sure it shakes...

Ignacio
Imagine, 2001 K1200 LT Pacific

It's not happier he who has the most but he who needs the least.
post #15 of 19 Old Dec 28th, 2005, 6:56 pm

Quote:
With that much noise, how would you know??

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #16 of 19 Old Dec 29th, 2005, 12:48 pm

You can duplicate most ratttles by tapping on the suspect parts. Put bike on centerstand and get yourself a rubber mallet. and start tapping on the suspect area. A real area that resonates on my '05 is the front fender. I repositioned is slightly and it has mostley gone away. the front fender is two piece and I suspect it resonates where it is joined together. Anyway it is not bad enough to take off and investigate anymore since the slight adjustemnt made. Also this bike is more prone to this stuff in the cold for obvious reasons--fill out your profile so we can tell where you are from.
One more thing---if you put this much bodywork on your Softtail do you think it would not rattle?
post #17 of 19 Old Dec 30th, 2005, 12:05 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrod Maguire
1/8" weather stripping works great if it's where the lower and upper farings meet, which is a common location. Cereal box cut-outs work wonders for the rear brake noise and you already own the parts required I'm sure.
Could you be more specific with the cereal box cut outs that will solve my rear brake squeal.
post #18 of 19 Old Dec 30th, 2005, 12:07 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattso
You can duplicate most ratttles by tapping on the suspect parts. Put bike on centerstand and get yourself a rubber mallet. and start tapping on the suspect area. A real area that resonates on my '05 is the front fender. I repositioned is slightly and it has mostley gone away. the front fender is two piece and I suspect it resonates where it is joined together. Anyway it is not bad enough to take off and investigate anymore since the slight adjustemnt made. Also this bike is more prone to this stuff in the cold for obvious reasons--fill out your profile so we can tell where you are from.
One more thing---if you put this much bodywork on your Softtail do you think it would not rattle?
I'm sure that it would rattle. As far as that goes, with those pipes it may rattle now.
Thanks for the suggestions.
post #19 of 19 Old Dec 30th, 2005, 4:01 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Could you be more specific with the cereal box cut outs that will solve my rear brake squeal.
From another thread:

"Remove the pads, trace them on a cereal box, cut out the "shim" and reinstall the pads with the shims. Results, no squealing."

Note that the cardboard shim goes between the brake pad and the caliper, one on each side. They will eventually wear away, especially if you ride in the rain a lot, but they do help.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in