Considering the K1200LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 1:23 pm Thread Starter

Considering the K1200LT

I want a long distance touring bike. Looking at the GL1800, but really like the K1200LT. The main concern I have after researching the web is low speed handling with 2 up. Most state that this is somewhat of a challange on the LT. I am currently riding a Kawasaki Nomad and it is rock solid in the parking lots. Of course I was trained to slip the clutch.

- Is the 2 up low speed handling a "real" issue?
- Can the dry clutch stand being slipped?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 1:51 pm

The low speed handling is a little more difficult than some other large bikes, but only a little. The thing that gets most people in trouble is hitting the front brake with the front wheel not straight ahead. The Telellever suspension on the LT, although great at all other times, contributes to this because of it's inherent "no dive" geometry. Since the forks do not compress and dissipate the energy, the mass will try to go the way the wheel is turned. Yep, you got it, down you go.

Just be aware of it, and you will have no problems.

Also, the '05 model year improved the handling with a change in trail. Most that have ridden both say the improvement is significant.

Go test ride one, it will sell itself!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

Last edited by dshealey; Dec 22nd, 2005 at 1:58 pm.
post #3 of 10 Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 1:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Also, the '05 model year improved this with a change in trail. Most that have ridden both say the improvement is significant.

Go test ride one, it will sell itself!
Agreed - and the '05 addressed my biggest concern of being able to be flatfooted when stopped. BMW narrowed the seat which helps you reach the ground.

Although the trade off was a less comfortable seat. Try it out for your self - always the best advice.

Dave

BMWMOA #120588
website has been hacked - down for now
Riding since '65 - 30+ bikes (lost count)
Current Stable:
'06 R12GS Adv, '98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman, '53 Panhead
2009-2010 KxxxxLT or whenever BMW updates the platform

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 2:04 pm

Garage
Like you, last year I too was considering getting a 'Wing. At the time, I didn't even know about the LT. I went to the International Motorcycle Show and fell in love with the 05 LT. A few months later, I bought my 02 LT online and have never regretted it.

Yes, it is tough to handle in slow parking lot situations. I've dropped her twice. But, the way she handles while crusing more than makes up for it.

I love mine.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #5 of 10 Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 2:21 pm

I've my had no issues with my 05 two up or otherwise. if your use to a big heavy big I don't see it as being a problem. Having said that I wouldn't buy a bike that I couldn't test ride ether.
post #6 of 10 Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 2:42 pm

Thumbs up K1200LT or Wing ...K1200LT

I have a 2005 K1200LT. Ride two up much of the time. The bike handles easily especially after you are rolling. Do not notice the movements of my passenger. She helped pick this bike because it was the most comfortable regarding passenger seating, over the Wing, specifically for long days on the seat. The bike fits me, better than the Wing; I am over 6 feet. Low speed handling is not a concern. The more I ride it the more I like it.

I do try and stop with the front wheel straight, not so much because of the front end geometry but because of the sudden application of the servo assisted brakes at very slow speeds. This is not a major concern especially once the rider gets used to applying the brakes at low speeds.

My brother rides a 2004 GL1800. I prefer the BMW for seating comfort, fit and finish; the K12LT is much better for fuel economy. The brakes are more powerful, stereo better and it handles rough pavement better. This is my opinion. The clutch is not a concern with me.

My brother the GL1800 rider may say different. He would be hard pressed to argue the facts such as overall handling and fuel economy. Mike M.
post #7 of 10 Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 5:26 pm

I had an 02 K1200LT and would say at slow speeds it could be difficult...not enough to change bikes though, as the positive of the bike were many. Purchased an 05 K1200LT and have noticed an acceptable improvement in slow speed handling, I no longer consider it an issue. The 05's improved horsepower makes this bike a pleasure to ride. A luxury, yet powerful touring bike...gotta love it!
post #8 of 10 Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 5:50 pm

[QUOTE=Ranjan]I want a long distance touring bike. Looking at the GL1800, but really like the K1200LT. The main concern I have after researching the web is low speed handling with 2 up. Most state that this is somewhat of a challange on the LT. I am currently riding a Kawasaki Nomad and it is rock solid in the parking lots. Of course I was trained to slip the clutch.

I have put many miles on two different Kawasaki Nomads and can tell you that the LT is much harder to handle at low speeds. The LT is much more top heavy and very sensitive to any braking action. The clutch is much harder to 'slip' than the Nomad because the LT doesn't make near the torque at low rpms.

Steve
2005 K1200LT
post #9 of 10 Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 7:10 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the Input

All the replies have been very helpful, thanks to all. I am leaning toward the LT, but as mentioned I need to ride one.
Thanks Again.
post #10 of 10 Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 7:37 pm
kip

ride the LT

the LT is the best bike for long riding on the highway
it is also the best bike for riding 2 up.....if thats what your planning
its a tall bike and at 5'10 (30" inseam) i cant be flat footed
it DOES get a little precarious in parking lots
i find that not touching the front brake (in parking lots) helps alot

if u ride it you will want it

kip
99 LT
jefferson, ga

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in