My first week. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 12:49 pm Thread Starter

My first week.

Wow, what a first week. Too bad my schedule will not allow me more time in the saddle. First, a big thanks to Bill P. (Hwy55) for selling his ride. Let me back up a bit to fill in the blanks.

I have been looking for a K1200LT since the last part of July. Long story but I have not been on two wheels since October 2000 when I had a Boo boo that left my wife and myself with our own hospital beds and matching wheelchairs. She bounced back and was back at work in about five months. I have other problems and have to deal with them daily. Read some older threads about DVT.
As I was sitting in my chair one afternoon reading a biker rag that came in the mail, I stopped to look at some eye candy and rolled over to my wifeís bed to show her the bike. She looked at the pix and said the rear seat was too small for her. I knew she would ride again.

I was still on a cane and a brace for the most part three years later and knew a bike was out of the question. I had a friend with a VW trike and he loved it so I thought I would get me one. No worries about falling over and I do not have to try to hold it up with a knee that only works most of the time. I found one in November 2003 and it took me all over Texas, Arkansas and even a trip into Oklahoma. I loved it. It was easy to drive and FUN!

In July of this year I was in Colorado visiting a good friend and we went to the BMW shop. He has a 1994 R80RT and (in the 1980ís) I had a R100RT. We went to look at the new R1200RTís and the shop had one. As I drooled all over the bike, I glanced at the K bikes on the other side of the shop. I had seen the flying bricks at rallies and they were cool but I really liked the twins. I was just indifferent to the Kís. Didnít likeíem or dislikeíem, just didnít care one way or another. I had read the articles when they were in the magís but it was still a bike that I just didnít give a second glance to.

The sales dude was asking me about my past bikes and wanted to show me the LTís he had (I have had touring bikes since I was two weeks away from being 20 years old). I looked at the LTís and saw the sticker price. After the shock wore off, I saw a used one in the corner. I sat on it, played with all the buttons, knobs, levers, and anything I could push, pull, or twist. I became a little smitten with that bike. I liked it more and more as time went on. My amigo Jim kinda played a part in talking me into two wheels again. He thought I could do it so when I got back to South Texas, I found this site and have read just about every post, HOW and FAQís. Still do. I was certain I was going to ride two wheels again. I put a for sale sign on my trike and at a rally in Arkansas, I had a few folks take my name and number. One guy from North Dallas asked me when I would be home and called me the next day to make arrangements. Bike gone and $$$ in hand. I was ready to be a Beemer rider again.

I looked on this site and a few others and found several bikes that I could reach ($$ thing). I posted a question about one and Hwy55 posted that he might have what I was looking for. After several phone calls and such, on December 15, I jumped on the back seat of a 1500 Gold wing and was taxied to Hondo, Texas. 173 miles from my home and it was a brisk ride there. We met in a Micky Deeís and had a cup of bean juice as we did the paper work.

My first bike ride in five years was a little scary as I threw my leg over the seat. The last time I was operating a bike; I was slapping the back of an 18-wheeler at 70mph. Scared? Yes. Worried? A little. Anxious? Yes. Excited? You bet. I was sitting on a 2002 K1200LTC. Green with a luggage rack and 9814 miles on the clock. The sky was getting a little cloudy and it was just under 60*. Time to go.

First impressions are important and I will say that the breaks scared me. It will take some time to feel completely comfortable with them. I mean, they work very well. Almost too well. I have only been able to put just under 500 miles on her so far but I am trying. Busy time of year.

I do want to throw out a big thanks to all of you who post so folks like me can read about what to do and how to do it. I am not one to do my own work but I like to at least know about how to do things. Also, a BIG thanks to Hwy55 (Bill) who is an awesome man and really easy to talk to. I called him different times as we were making arrangements and he is just a great guy and I really enjoyed talking to him. One day we chatted for over an hour and a half about all kinds of things. I will most certainly have another coffee with him.

Sorry for so long of a post so I will shut up for now.

"BONES" <///><
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 1:57 pm

We love long posts here. Usually. This was one of the good ones.

Just think, if you had had the brakes a few years ago you may not have hit the truck!

Once people get used to them, they would not go back to less effective brakes.

Welcome aboard.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 15 Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 2:18 pm

Mike:

Glad you are here and that you are back on two wheels. Congrats!!!

Have fun with the LT -- it is an awesome machine.

God bless and merry Christmas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chick

Saved by Grace -- Ephesians 2:8-9

2005 Graphite LT

BMWMOA #118809

NRA Life Member

post #4 of 15 Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 2:25 pm

Bones, Glad your riding again. Just find a big parking lot and practice with the brakes, so that you don't have to recover from any breaks in the future.

Welcome to the asylum. As you know, we inmates run the place!!

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #5 of 15 Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 2:45 pm

I have to give you allot of credit to get back on a bike again after such a bad accident. Its my opinion that BMW makes one of the safest bikes out there, with the ABS, anti dive suspension and the like. It's one of the reasons I bought one.
Get the best safety gear you can afford and wear it. As others have said just take your time, it'll all come back minus the accident of course.
As for those brakes, once you get use to them you'll wonder way every bike doesn't have brakes like that.
Enjoy!
post #6 of 15 Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 3:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
Wow, what a first week.
Congrats brother Bones! Enjoy your new scoot. I am getting used the power brakes on my new 2004 bike, too, and they are something!

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #7 of 15 Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 10:23 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the encouraging words guys. I already feel fairly comfortable on the bike. I had to get out today between 4:00-5:00pm in the holiday traffic. Never felt out of place. Went right down our "busy" street with folks pulling out in front of me and turning at the last minute. So far it's been a blast.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #8 of 15 Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 8:33 am

Bones, glad you were able to get back on the "horse" and hope you have many trouble free miles on your new ride. Trust me, after you get accustomed to the brakes you will be afraid to ride anything else. Hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas.
Leon
05 Blue LT
post #9 of 15 Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 8:47 am

Quote:
Went right down our "busy" street with folks pulling out in front of me and turning at the last minute.
Riding yesterday too, on the LT, and I noticed the same thing about the traffic. People act even crazier than usual in their cars this time of year, and I don't think any of them had been drinking. They're just in their own little worlds. Really gotta' watch 'em.
post #10 of 15 Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 9:52 am
Prodigal Son

Quote:
Went right down our "busy" street with folks pulling out in front of me and turning at the last minute. So far it's been a blast.
Diggin them brakes, me Toooo.

and a Mary Tejas Christ mas to yo and yours.

ed early
Life is a Blind Curve , Just Ride It, Low and Inside
'00' Canyon Red
post #11 of 15 Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 1:07 pm

Welcome a-board!

May the grace and peace of the Hope of Mankind be with you and yours.

Glad you were able to find your way back into the motorcycling life. Hope to see you down the road....

Your brother in Christ... Channing

P.S. since you now "own" a K12LT, your BIO is in need of buffin' up.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #12 of 15 Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 2:33 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Try the Integrated brakes sometime, ed. Makes the standard brakes feel sluggish in comparison.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #13 of 15 Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 7:58 pm Thread Starter

Went to the store today. Had to wait through four red lights in just one intersection (going to the mall) so I am really getting fairly comfortable with the breaks. I am starting to like'em more and more.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

post #14 of 15 Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 8:06 pm

I worry about you getting comfortable with the "breaks", seems you had enough trouble with those sometime back.

Now get comfortable with the brakes to avoid any more breaks!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #15 of 15 Old Dec 24th, 2005, 10:51 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Now get comfortable with the brakes to avoid any more breaks!
What I went through last time, I NEVER want to repeat. My wife & I have matching IM Rods in the O'l leg, a few screws and pins and a plate of some kind.
That's the Breaks!!!

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in