Changing the Gas Filter - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old May 22nd, 2008, 1:42 pm Thread Starter

Changing the Gas Filter

Could someone guide me on changing the Gas Filter. Will the tank need to be removed or can it bee changed in place with some tupperware removal? Not sure where to start.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old May 22nd, 2008, 1:54 pm

Re: Changing the Gas Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryldaggs
Could someone guide me on changing the Gas Filter. Will the tank need to be removed or can it bee changed in place with some tupperware removal? Not sure where to start.......
Yup, you gotta remove the tank, which means a lotta tupperware gets removed also. It's a job, expecially if it's your first time, that really benefits from having a shop manual or a segment of Paul Sayegh's how-to DVDs to watch, before tackling the job. You should have a shop manual anyway, in my estimation.

I'm not sure if a typed description will be the correct way to advise you, Darryl. Lotsa sidebars to explain details; and pics are really great ways to outline your progress. Maybe somebody with a good descriptive narrative can help. Not saying you can't do it; just think it best to have either an assistant or a manual. I think you can get a Clymer's manual from Amazon pretty quick, btw. Good luck, Darryl.
post #3 of 17 Old May 22nd, 2008, 2:16 pm

Quote:
Darryl, here is sumpthin' I found that I'd forgotten I had. Hope it helps you.

http://www.snafu.org/pics/k12lt/plastic.html

post #4 of 17 Old May 22nd, 2008, 2:18 pm

Quote:
And some more 'stuff'.

http://www.snafu.org/pics/k12lt/print.html

I think that's it, from me at least. Good wrenching, Darryl.
post #5 of 17 Old May 22nd, 2008, 2:25 pm

I'll throw in with Dick on this one!

The job is not particularly difficult, but there are a lot of steps.
If you have not had the Tupperware off the bike yet, well that's Phase One...
You then need to remove the Stingray and the Seat...
That exposes the tank..
Disconnect all the hoses, remove the tiedown bolts and lift off the tank...

It helps (a little) if the tank is less than 1/2 full.
You will need new hose clamps in addition to the new fuel filter and you should have a strap wrench to loosen and later secure the screw on the access cover cap (Large size)

While you are in there, change the air filter. And clean and grease all electrical connections.

If you have not been this deep into the LT, you SHOULD have a CD or Clymer's manual.

Unless you feel lucky...

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 Old May 22nd, 2008, 3:51 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the info I have a CLymers manual , clamps,filter(gas and air), and also I have had all tupperware off before exposing the tank just messin around. So with my manual and and info you guys passed on I belive I can handle it. THANKS A lOT!!
post #7 of 17 Old May 22nd, 2008, 3:58 pm

Quote:
Thanks for the info I have a CLymers manual , clamps,filter(gas and air), and also I have had all tupperware off before exposing the tank just messin around. So with my manual and and info you guys passed on I belive I can handle it. THANKS A lOT!!
Good luck, Darryl. You can do it.

Just a quick mention - while you have the fuel tank off, don't park it in full sun, nor a warm location. It'll do a slight deform and be a bear to reinstall. When I have ole Toad's off, I drape it over a thick-padded sawhorse. And be sure you do the correct torque down of all the bolts and nuts and screws when putting it all back together. Best...
post #8 of 17 Old May 23rd, 2008, 9:19 am

I used a big set of channel locks to remove the ring on the tank. Just be careful if you do so. Some folks re-use the BMW hose clamps, but I would probably replace them. I think John Bowles said you can reuse them if you have the pliers to crimp the clamps a little more each time, til they get too tight to go anymore. If you use the screw type, don;t overtighten to point of the fuel line rubber getting cut thru the slots. It will eventually find it's way into the fuel supply.

Pay close attention to how every thing comes out and direction of flow, etc.

Replace the air filter while you're in there if you haven't already done so.

Randy
post #9 of 17 Old May 23rd, 2008, 10:26 am
Lifetime Supporter

While you are there, now would be a good time to also replace the plastic fuel quick disconnects with brass ones. This will take another 4 clamps (cheap). It is a lot easier with the tank off the bike.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 17 Old May 23rd, 2008, 11:44 am
Lifetime Supporter

A&S Cycles wanted $3.75 for the one time use clamps. I got some at the welding supply store for $.75 each. You can buy a whole kit with pliers and several clamps for around $40. I trust them more than the screw type. The pliers cost me $20. I'm good to go if I ever get my parts delivered......

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #11 of 17 Old May 23rd, 2008, 1:58 pm

Check Paul Sayegh's DVD. It isn't necessary to completely disconnect the fuel lines. The tank can be lifted up enough to replace the air filter without disconnecting the fuel lines.

Time to remove and replace the air filter: 1 minute.

Time to get to the fuel filter and then re-assemble the bike: 4 hours.

Bavarian engineering - priceless.

Inside my 60 year old body is a 35 year old brain wondering what the hell happened.
2005 K1200LT
2005 Suzuki Burgman
BMWMOA #130574
post #12 of 17 Old May 23rd, 2008, 11:49 pm Thread Starter

OK im stuck , I have the plastic off, battery unhooked, wiring disconnected for radio and fuel level gas tank exposed but I have not disconnected the gas lines yet Am I actually going to be unbolting the frame that holds the tank in place? I do not have hose clamps or the tool to squeeze besides pliers. I also do not have a clamp to keep gas from running everywhere(.25 of a tank) So next step should be ....... anyone chime in here , i'd love to have a Paul Sayehg(sp) DVD but not sure where to get that. I just need a little nudge is all so chime in.
post #13 of 17 Old May 24th, 2008, 12:51 am

Quote:
OK im stuck , I have the plastic off, battery unhooked, wiring disconnected for radio and fuel level gas tank exposed but I have not disconnected the gas lines yet Am I actually going to be unbolting the frame that holds the tank in place? I do not have hose clamps or the tool to squeeze besides pliers. I also do not have a clamp to keep gas from running everywhere(.25 of a tank) So next step should be ....... anyone chime in here , i'd love to have a Paul Sayehg(sp) DVD but not sure where to get that. I just need a little nudge is all so chime in.
OK. First off if you have QD's on your fuel lines you don't need to worry about fuel running out, they have built in shutoffs.

Once the tank is exposed you'll see 2 large allen bolts with what looks like big washers on them. Loosen these bolts a turn or 2, that's all that is needed. Take the vent lines off up near the fuel filler and unhook the fuel line QD's, unhook the wiring on top and bottom of the RH side of the tank, slide the tank aft a little and lift it up and out.
Regular hose clamps would be OK or go to auto zone, etc and get fuel injection clamps (solid band with a screw and nut), You don't have to have the crimp on clamps.

This job is a piece-o-cake. I did mine without a manual, just the articles in the HOW. Nothing on this bike is rocket science, especially in the routine maint. department.
post #14 of 17 Old May 24th, 2008, 5:47 am

Darryl,

If you are referring to the black frame on top of the gas tank, yes, that needs to be removed before you can move the tank.

The tank unbolts the way it was described above.

I didn't disconnect the fuel lines when I changed the air filter on my LT. I lifted the tank up, had a helper hold it for a couple of minutes while I swapped out the air filter, then put it back in place.

Inside my 60 year old body is a 35 year old brain wondering what the hell happened.
2005 K1200LT
2005 Suzuki Burgman
BMWMOA #130574
post #15 of 17 Old May 24th, 2008, 9:35 am
Lifetime Supporter

Lightbulb Re: Changing the Gas Filter

You may not need to remove the tank to replace the air filter, but you do need to remove it to replace the fuel filter.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #16 of 17 Old May 24th, 2008, 8:38 pm Thread Starter

Job complete bike started fine all is well thanks for all the help I really appreciate it you just don't know how much......
You guys are a truly the best ......
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!
post #17 of 17 Old May 24th, 2008, 8:52 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Doesn't look like I will get any parts before next week. I have the bike torn down to the throttle body. I pulled the fuel rail and air box. I had some oil around the front injector. I have to clean them up before I reinstall them. I think I'll go ahead and change the coolant as well. I'll be down for a few more days. I installed my shock yesterday. I think it will all turn out. I watched the video the previous owner gave me. It's not all that complicated. Has anyone ever mounted their fuel filter on the outside of the tank?.........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in